bew Bata DVD

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby gilbert » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:24 am

hey guys a new Bata DVD is out now
BATA rythms from Matanzas Cuba
check this link

http://cdbaby.com/cd/alfonsosummers
gilbert

Postby Diceman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks for the tip Gilbert, got it last week and it is awsome in detail and layout.

suave
Diceman
Diceman

Postby zaragenca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Well I have to suppose that Daniel Alfonzo,(which belong to the Alfonzo's dynasty in Matanzas),could made a good product in relation to batas....but there were also the Cabildo la Merced, Alturas the Simpsom, the Santa Barbara Cabildo,etc..which have their own world of good bataleros and Ocha-line.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Changuiri » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 pm

ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT IT WAS DONE WITH PERFECTION AND BACKED UP BY THE DIVINE! FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THIS, HERE'S THE INTERVIEW CONCERNING THE PRODUCTION:

Interview

How did you decide to make an instructional DVD on how to play the bata drums Matanzas-style? It’s a bit of a departure from your other DVDs, which are of live ceremonies.

It was completely serendipitous. I had asked a new distributor, Brad Boynton of Rhythms Traders, what types of DVDs he’d like to see next. At the top of his list was a bata instructional DVD. I included that idea with a few of his others and some of my own, and asked Bruce Polin of Descarga.com the same question. He also voted for the bata DVD as his top pick.

That very same week, I was at a baptism for the newborn son of a young American drummer who was living in Matanzas at the time, Luis Carreras. Bill Summers and I were the godparents. At the party afterward, Daniel Alfonso, who I knew casually, came up to me and said, “A lot of people have been after me to make a film on how to play the bata drums. I’ve always said no. But now I’m going to give the project to you.” He had never seen any of our other discs, hadn’t even heard our CD…I don’t know where he even got the idea to say this to me. But I know enough to listen to the universe when it is talking to me, so I smiled and said, “Great!”

Of course, I had no idea what this project would entail, and I will tell you honestly if I had known then what I know now, I don’t think I would have had the courage or energy to start it. It’s been massively complicated and has taken every bit of my 30 years of publishing, project management, and marketing experience to get it done. I've been working on it nonstop for nine months and I feel like I’m giving birth to triplets…

What were some of the biggest challenges?

The biggest challenge was that I am not a bata drummer. I had experience filming and editing the other DVDs, which had a lot to do with drumming, but this was so much more complicated. For example, I had to develop detailed filming guidelines for the cameramen and mixer, including determining how much time we should spend on each rhythm and each variation within the rhythm. Of course, I developed those guidelines with Daniel—but I didn’t know what questions to ask other than “How many variations does toque X have?” He answered what I asked quite literally—but when we actually started filming, there were other things going on that I hadn’t known to ask about, and I got completely flustered. For example, during the filming of Ochosi, which in Matanzas is a very complicated set of rhythms, I thought we were done. But the guys were still drumming away! Brooms were falling over, they were drumming so hard. The mixer turned to me with his eyebrows raised and I just shrugged and mimed “Keep filming! I'll figure it out later!”

Thankfully, my husband is a very talented drummer—Alberto Calvo is Kabiosile’s Artistic Director, and I rely on his knowledge and opinion. For example, I wanted to film an interview about the language of the drums. I asked Alberto what questions we should ask the drummers. He said he would think about it—and the day of the interview, he came out with a list of great questions and another list of rhythms that he wanted the drummers to play to illustrate how the drums speak. I could never have done that on my own. I wouldn’t even have known where to start.

I am also blessed to know Michael Spiro and Bill Summers, two incredibly talented percussionists who have given so much of their time, energy, and love to this project. It literally would not have seen the light of day without them.

Michael very patiently fielded all my questions throughout the development of the project, and offered me great advice on every single one of them. He took time out of his incredibly busy schedule to review the first, second, and third draft DVDs with me and make editing suggestions, and he reviewed and critiqued all of the transcriptions. He has literally been my savior.

Elegua brought me Bill Summers. He showed up in Matanzas just as we were starting the development of the transcriptions, and offered to help. Thank god! We never would have been able to develop such detailed transcriptions without him. He also offered very valuable advice on the editing of the DVDs.

And just as I was trying to figure out how I was going to review those transcriptions with Daniel before finalizing them (Daniel doesn’t read music), two of his long-time students, Kevin Repp and Vanessa Lindberg, showed up in Matanzas to make Ocha and continue their studies with Daniel. They very graciously agreed to take time from those studies to play each of the 19 rhythms for Daniel as they were written, and to make any adjustments that were necessary.

I have been truly blessed throughout this project.

Matanzas-style drumming is not very well known outside of Cuba. What do you hope to achieve with this project?

I hope these DVDs and transcriptions will help make the Matanzas style of drumming more accessible to people who up until now have only been exposed to the more prevalent Havana style. There are a few well-known Matanzas-trained drummers in the US, such as Francisco Aguabella, Felipe Villamil, and Sandy Perez. But you need three drummers to play, so here they play mostly Havana style because that’s what everyone else plays. My dream is that more and more drummers will want to add the Matanzas style to their repertoire so that, eventually, both styles will be played at tambors and in performance environments.

What's next?

It's going to take me a while to recuperate from this project…But I am in the planning stages for another, even more complicated one involving the Oro Cantado (the sung cycle of songs). Francisco "Minini" Zamora, of Afro Cuba de Matanzas fame, has agreed to be the singer, and Daniel and his crew will drum. I'm very excited about it...

HMMMMMMMMMM!!! SABROSO.

Edited By Changuiri on 1188944606
Changuiri

Postby onile » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Alafia Abure Changuiri!
Always right on time and right on the money with info like this!

Adelante Familia!

tu hermano

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Changuiri » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 pm

onile wrote:Alafia Abure Changuiri!
Always right on time and right on the money with info like this!

Adelante Familia!

tu hermano

Onile!

VAYA, VAYA, MI HERMANO DEL ALMA!
GRACIAS PAPA, I'M LEARNING FROM YOU.
Changuiri

Postby zaragenca » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:03 pm

But I understand tha Felipe is playing with his sibling with would make a whole ensemble.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Re: bew Bata DVD

Postby Firebrand » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:57 pm

damn...I've read about this...but I'm focusing my studies in Havana style. My personal teacher is Victor "Papo" Sterling...an old head from NYC who used to do Bembe's (both public and private religious ones) with John Amira, Aguabella, "Puntilla" and the rest of the masters in the U.S. While I learn a lot with him, there doesn't seem to be recorded resources (video) to hear Havana style patterns. I've ordered the Music of Santeria book by Amira and I'm about to order Regino Jimenez' CD, reputed to be one of the best in collecting the entire set of rhythms. But...wouldn't it be nice to have a Tomas-Cruz-style Bata method DVD?

Tomas Cruz...what are you waiting for! We'd love that DVD!
Firebrand

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Hola Firebrand,

You won't go wrong with the late Regino Jimene'z: Ilu Ana, Sacred Rhythms. IMHO one the best and clearest examples of "Oru Seco" Havana style out there.

Might also want to check out Grupo Olubata play along project:

http://www.latinpulsemusic.com/albums/show/18

This one is putted together by Colin Douglas, one of Spiro's apprentices.

Hope this helps...

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks for this super info Tamboricua !
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:11 am

Hi Laurent,

No problem, glad to know it was helpful to you.

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby seisporocho1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 am

Anyone know if the dvd of the "oro cantado" is out yet? ... Kabiosile's dvd on the matanzas style made me a fan of the style. It swings more than the havana style IMO. Really cool.

Tomas Cruz ? Bata? .... I didn't know he was known for that. I live in Miami and there is one person that has the respect of the rest when it comes to batas and that is my teacher Lazaro 'Tato' Alfonso! I think I will propose a dvd concept since I am already video taping the 'oro seco' Havana Style with him...
Don't get me wrong, he is not the only one playing Havana Style here but his touch and technique are unique for sure.

And then there's the Gene Golden, Roman Diaz and Pedrito Martinez crew in NYC....those guys are great!
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby Tonio » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:15 am

Oro Cantado? Reminds me I need to digitize a cassette I have of Oro Cantado by Fransiso Aguabella. I should have copied teh cover, I don't even know when it was made :oops:

T
Tonio

Return to Bata Drums