Jesús Pérez - Transculturation of the Cuban Batá Drum

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby tamboricua » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Congaforum,

I believe some might be interested in checking out the following article by Ivor Miller.

Jesús Pérez and the Transculturation of the Cuban Batá Drum

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:27 pm

OYe JORGE ...GRACIAS POR ESO.....Incredible information....I just love History and the drum..you will always learn something new.....as I have....."JC" Johnny Conga...I WILL pass this info to my students...tu pana..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:10 am

It took a while to load on my pc, but finally it did!

Great article. Thanks for sharing. :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:17 pm

JC y Abakua,

De nada mis hermanos! Glad to know you guys found it worthy.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby kongo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Great article. I have the original magazine "Dialago" article and forgot all about it, until you posted it here. Great info. Thanks!
kongo
kongo

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:26 pm

kongo wrote:Great article. I have the original magazine "Dialago" article and forgot all about it, until you posted it here. Great info. Thanks!

Kongo,

Glad you like it!

It's the Dialogo magazine worth to check out? With articles like that one I imagine so! Any leads to where we can check their back issues?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby zaragemca » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 pm

Well what could I say,I was the first one to identify him,when the foto,came in the Bata/Forum,I have the opportunity to see him in action on the stage,and on the 'real thing',he knew my Godfathers and my mother which is an Obalocha,like Mercedita Valdez..Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1143496293
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby kongo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:21 pm

Hola Tamboriqua. Dialago is published here in Chicago by DePaul University. I think it comes from their Latin Studies Dept. When I get home tonight I'll get the magazine and give you the low-down on all the info.

It's good to see my paisano, Doc. Zaragemca give us his first hand knowledge on these mostly enegmatic drumers.

Gracias doctor.
kongo
kongo

Postby zaragemca » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:30 pm

Welcome Paisano Kongo, in reality the one which started working with Obdulio Morales was Trinidad Torregosa, so the one in the 'Batamu' shows and 'Las Mulatas del Fuego',etc., was Torregosa,(since Jesus Perez was to young at that time),but later Torregosa passed the Torch to him in the 1950's...Pablo Roche was into the 'real stuff' and didn't want to get into anything else...But as it happened with Torregosa,as they would get into the shows/stuff,it was harder to see them into the 'real thing',not only becouse the timing,but becouse there were other Bataleros which were just focussed on the 'real thing'.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1143585685
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pcastag » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:35 am

My teacher and mentor in Havana ( alberto villareal) inherited the fundamentos of Jesus Perez. If Jesus imparted any of his wisdon to Alberto he must have been a great man, Alberto is one of the best! Super helpful, and genuine person. He and his wife took a genuine interest in my well being, and helped in in many ways while I was there in Havana, not just with my desire to learn and play bata, but with many matters.
PC

Edited By pcastag on 1144903018
PC
pcastag

Re: Jesús Pérez - Transculturation of the Cuban Batá Drum

Postby OBAKOSODIDE » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 am

Alafia and with respect,

Alberto Villareal did NOT inherit the ana of Jesus Perez - Too complicated to tell you the story - but he did not inherit the drums- nor was ever in line to inherit them.
From the drum to Olofi's ears...gracias para aña
OBAKOSODIDE

Postby pcastag » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Hmmm, haven't been to the forum in a while, I know that he has two sets of fundamentos, from what I understand one set formerly belonged to Jesus Perez. I've seen both sets, as they were both kept in the room behind the house where I took my lessons, I never asked him where they came from, but I have heard and seen written that one of the sets used to beleng to Jesus.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby pcastag » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Hmmm, haven't been to the forum in a while, I know that he has two sets of fundamentos, from what I understand one set formerly belonged to Jesus Perez. I've seen both sets, as they were both kept in the room behind the house where I took my lessons, I never asked him where they came from, but I have heard and seen written that one of the sets used to belong to Jesus.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby zumbi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:32 pm

peace & blessings,
in the article the author says he was about to publish jesus peres' book on bata.
is this book out already?
i'd like lo have some informations about it and where it can be, eventually, bought from.
thank!
zumbi

Return to Bata Drums