Anyone Have a Timbal or Tumbala? - A forumer starter

Let's discuss about the origin and history ...

Postby Bachikaze » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:11 pm

I saw this lonely little forum with no postings, so I thought I'd start one. I'm not interested in drumset, but the title also says "timbal". I've got a Bauer timbal, after having owned a short Contemporanea and a 14" RMV. My Bauer is smaller, with a 12" head. It is full length, however. I prefer this head size; it fits my hands better.

I'm looking forward to a new drum by Bauer called a tumbala. It is shaped much like a timbal, but it stronger for tighter tuning. The head is calfskin for a more conga-like sound. Anyone have one?
Bachikaze

Postby Jongo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 pm

I have a Bauer Timbal with a 14" head and 90 cm long and I love it. Great range, it really jumps out at you. I have not heard of a Tumbala. Where did you see it at?
Jongo

Postby Bachikaze » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 am

Espirito Drums will have them in the future.

http://espiritodrums.com/

I will get an advance delivery to test (and keep). They look like a cross between a timbal, a conga, and a Cuban Carnival drum.

Edited By Bachikaze on 1176961365
Bachikaze

Postby Jongo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:52 pm

I like those, they do look like a cross between a Timbal a conga and a cuban carnival drum. Similar to one I saw from Sonor percussion that they advertised as a street conga. I prefer Bauer, there quality is excellent so I am sure those will sound great.
That is great that you get one to test and keep for yourself. Getting promo stuff is always the best! Do you know when Espirito Drums will be fully operational?
Jongo

Postby Bachikaze » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Ken, the proprietor, has been making trips to Brazil to fatten his inventory. It may be that the tumbala will be a "product of the month" in the near future (hopefully May), since Bauer probably wants to promote their newest product. Espirito is North America's official distributor (Earthshaking no longer is, but still has inventory). Espirito recently moved from Califormia to Florida and therefore had to sell most of its inventory, which is now being replenished.

Edited By Bachikaze on 1177000517
Bachikaze

Postby Bachikaze » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:36 am

Another photo of a tumbala.

I read that they are 11 3/4" by 70cm. my favorite size for timbals.

Edited By Bachikaze on 1177220209
Bachikaze

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am

This is the Bauer version of a long modern "Ashiko" drum...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:52 am

PS ... the Cuban Carnival "YUKA" drums are more "conical" shaped than these are, also...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Bachikaze » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Espirito has these tumbalas now in citrus green and red/yellow sunburst. Mine should arrive next week. I am so curious to try it.

http://espiritodrums.com/tumbala.htm

The main difference between this drum and an ashiko, other than length, is the thickness of the shell, and therefore, weight and sound. Also, most modern ashikos have goatskin heads, while the tumbala has calfskin, which further differentiates them.
Bachikaze

Postby korman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:47 pm

That's basically a ligher "boku" or carnival conga. They've been playing that in Cuba since who knows when. Remo and Sonor have similar products as well. Remo use their mystical acousticon, sonor have fiberglass shells. I've only seen Sonor's in real life, and they definitely with a change of heads, but otherwise could be nice drums.

BY the way this word "timba" sounds so good that there's always potential for confusion - in spanish timbal is timbales, in portuguese - this conical hand drum (which is a relatively new invention in Brazil), and then there's "timba" musical style in Cuba, and the percussion instruments producing company in the US. Maybe somebody know more uses of this word root?
korman

Postby Bachikaze » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm

korman wrote:That's basically a ligher "boku" or carnival conga. They've been playing that in Cuba since who knows when. Remo and Sonor have similar products as well. Remo use their mystical acousticon, sonor have fiberglass shells. I've only seen Sonor's in real life, and they definitely with a change of heads, but otherwise could be nice drums.

BY the way this word "timba" sounds so good that there's always potential for confusion - in spanish timbal is timbales, in portuguese - this conical hand drum (which is a relatively new invention in Brazil), and then there's "timba" musical style in Cuba, and the percussion instruments producing company in the US. Maybe somebody know more uses of this word root?

Tympanic vibrations are those created by a membrane, such as a drumhead. I believe all of the words with the timba root, as well as tympani, tambourine, and the musical term, timbre, descended from this origin, which I think is ultimately Arabic.

In Brazil, there is a lot of confusion over the names of the conical lightweight drums. There is the timba, which is similar to the timbal, but shorter, more conical, and played on the lap. The timbal is pronounced like cheembau, and was a later development to be used strapped on the body and played like a djembe.

The rebolo is also similar in design, but thankfully, has a distinct name.

Edited By Bachikaze on 1199388683
Bachikaze

Postby Bachikaze » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:20 pm

I continued this discussion (with photos) in another thread in the "Other instruments" forum, where it seems more appropriate.

http://www.congaplace.com/cgi-bin....767;r=1
Bachikaze

Re:

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:04 am

Bachikaze wrote:Espirito Drums will have them in the future.

http://espiritodrums.com/

I will get an advance delivery to test (and keep). They look like a cross between a timbal, a conga, and a Cuban Carnival drum.

Edited By Bachikaze on 1176961365

yes...is a Comparsa drum of light weight. I played one but found no need for it unless of a parade pehaps.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Timbal and Drumset