Selected works by "Papa Kila" Antolin Suárez

What's the origin... when, where... history and evolution of this instrument.

Selected works by "Papa Kila" Antolin Suárez

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:51 am

Saludos everyone.
In addition to the one I did in '08 for Rogelio "Yeyito" Iglesias, I recently made a post featuring "Selected works" by
"Papa Kila" Antolin Suárez that perhaps some members of Congaplace may enjoy.
I will soon make one for Clemente "Chicho" Piquero', bongosero for both the Benny Moré Orchestra and Carlos Barberia's Orq.
And another for "Pichi", bongosero who played for Conjunto Estrellas De Chocolate who had a style and sound that I've always loved.
Señor Dario, do you happen to know the full name of "Pichi"? I've searched the internet, but can't find any info on him at all.
Gracias,
Markito.

http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/2010/06/profiles-in-greatness-papa-kila-antolin.html
Attachments
Papa Kila1.jpg
"Papa Kila" Antolin Suárez
FidelsEyeglasses

Re: Selected works by "Papa Kila" Antolin Suárez

Postby Dicemanb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:13 am

Great work there Markito, thanks for sharing brother.

One thing, it is noticeable how low the bongo is tuned compared with today's bongoceros...I almost prefer it
Dicemanb

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Markito,

I really admire you for what you have done to document the history of Cuban music. Showcasing the work of "Papa Kila" and "Yeyito" is a monumental task. You know I loved Mongo like a father, that "old skool" of Cuban bongoceros set the standard really high, the likes of Papa Kila, Chicho, Armando Peraza, Candido, Mongo. In my opinion, "Yeyito" was the Michael Jordan of the bongo'. My deepest gratitude and admiration for you, mi amigo.

Un fuerte abrazo!

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby joaozinho » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 pm

I found your blogspot and it's a pure joy to see.What a profound work you did there;thanks so much for sharing your love for the Cuban culture like this.
joaozinho

Return to Bongo and bongoceros...