Bruises and protection.

What's the origin... when, where... history and evolution of this instrument.

Bruises and protection.

Postby MuitoAxe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I like bongos, but I bruise very easily, and they tend to be rough on my legs. Has anyone heard of any protective equipment that makes bongos less painful to hold?
MuitoAxe

Re: Bruises and protection.

Postby jorge » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:01 am

Have you tried loosening the lugs and rotating the top and bottom so one of the lugs goes right in the bend of your knee on each side? If you set it up so the wood rather than the lugs then contact your legs, that often works to make the bongos more comfortable.
jorge

Postby yambu321 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:46 am

MUITO AXE,

THE GON BOPS CALIFORNIA SERIES BONGOS HAVE OPTIONAL PADS THAT CAN BE ORDERED THROUGH A MUSIC STORE/ONLINE. THEY ARE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE LUGS, AND THE PADS WILL PROVIDE STABLE SUPPORT AND COMFORT TO YOUR LEGS. :D

CHARLIE. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:23 am

jorge wrote:Have you tried loosening the lugs and rotating the top and bottom so one of the lugs goes right in the bend of your knee on each side? If you set it up so the wood rather than the lugs then contact your legs, that often works to make the bongos more comfortable.

First thing Ive done with any bongo Ive owned! 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Anonimo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:03 am

Hello!

My advise would be, that first you check your overall body muscle tension while you are playing... We all had problems with bongos at start. I personally had a tendence to tense my leg muscles while playing and that gave me bad case of soreness and red/black marks on my legs where bongos would touch. Key to eliminate this was to play more and especially more relaxed.
I never needed to adjust lugs (playing mainly Meinl FWB 400 free ride bongos, LP generation 2 bongos)

My 2 cents,

Keep on grooving and enjoying your drums!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by Anonimo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Turning the lugs is great idea, and I second or third or fourth the the playing more and relaxing.

I was just remembering the other day about when I was starting out on congas. A lot of folks were tying their drums to with everything from belts to to bungee chords. I followed suit for a short while but soon thought it was ridiculous. The first times I went untethered I had a death grip on the drum. Very tiring and hard to relax. Now I can play a foot pedal at the same time and my quinto just sits there with a nice tilt. Don't really even think about it.

The three P's cure a lot of ills.
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 pm

To add the the excellent advice above, some bongos are lighter than others and some bongos are narrower than others. It might help you to find a smaller and lighter set of bongos.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Anonimo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:52 am

Anonimo

Return to Bongo and bongoceros...