Conga Identification! HELP!

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Conga Identification! HELP!

Postby Sanjorican » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Recently bought these on Craigslist, these congas are monsters! very heavy! I refinished them as you can see. The paint job was pretty bad. I'm really trying to find out any info I can on these. Anything helps! attached is a picture of the inside of the conga, looks like some sort of signature. Also, there is a number engraved on one of the chrome hoops (456-46-6406), have no idea what its there for. If anyone has a conga with the same signiture or numbers in the same area maybe you can give me info of the history!? Thank you all so much my fellow congueros!
Attachments
photo(3).JPG
photo(2).JPG
photo(4).JPG
Sanjorican

Re: Conga Identification! HELP!

Postby willie55 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

the number looks like Social Security number..the 456 is used in texas
willie55

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

i will tell u that u need to change those tuning hooks because when you start to tune those drums up they are going to straighten right out and pop off..it's happened to me thats why i say that...I have no idea where they are from either..is their an 'alma' inside the drum?...
JohnnyConga

Postby Sanjorican » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah it looked like a social but then I thought....ehhhh IDK....I did take the tuning hooks off my LP's and used them on these congas. The original hooks where so rusted and and basically shoved in the plate holes i couldn't even remove them. I had to hammer the original hooks out of the holes from the bottom. They where pretty BAD! I don't even know how they got them in the holes in the first place! I couldn't get them back in, that's how bad they where. The LP tuning hooks fit perfect in the holes though, so I might use them till I can get some new ones. Yes these drums sound great and have their own personality, I'm very happy I found them. It would be great to have some info on them though, till then they will be a mystery.
Sanjorican

Postby burke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I have absolutely no expertise, but maybe homemade or a prototype? The bands are very thick. I also wonder about those cylinders attached to the bands - mounting on a stand maybe?

Any thoughts on the type of wood? If not it would be nice to have a wood guy have a look and ID it.

I think they look great.
Burke
burke

Postby Sanjorican » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 pm

They where definitely custom made. What I forgot to add was a picture of the stand, really cool and really sturdy. They don't allow any moving well playing. Here's a picture of what color they where before too before I stripped them and refinished them.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo2.JPG
Sanjorican

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...