Who was your Inspiration and why?

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 am

Im gonna start a New topic here

When it comes to the Drum, Who was YOUR inspiration and why?

What was the one significant thing you learned from him/her?...

.....Let's get a fresh start my Brothers!.....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:38 pm

My inspiration for hand drumming were Don Famodou Moye, seeing his band in Sicily 11 years ago and later Vinx, seeing him with Jungle Funk... After that Giovanni, Mongo, Tito, my teachers Nino Mureskic, Blaz Celarec and Hrvoje Rupcic and all friends that we jammed together...

Why?
Cause the music became even bigger and better tool to make everyone feel good and better, made us stronger and got insight in what can a man do, and what I can do...

Lesson:
Music is a language that is universal and it's the only language, where no one can dissrespect you but yourself (if your 'wings' are too big) and fills you up with joy and true Rainbow Warrior vibrations....

Keep the groove brothers and sisters!

P.
GuruPimpi

Postby 117-1185347433 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:54 am

My 1st percussionist inspiration was Paulinho Da Costa (w/ Sergio Mendez & Brazil 66) during the 70s. I watched them live in the Philippines. Not only was he a world-class percussionist, but he was very colorful on stage.

Being a primarily a pop percussionist at the moment, I also count the following as my inspiration: Sue Hadjopoulas (Joe Jackson Band), Santana's percussionists (Jose "Chepito" Areas, Armando Peraza, Michael Carabello, Pete Escovedo, Raul Rekow & Karl Perazo), Tito Puente, etc.

When it comes to fundamentals, my inspiration are: Mongo Santamaria, Jose Luis "Changuito" Quintana, David "La Mole" Ortiz, Giovanni Hidalgo, etc.
117-1185347433

Postby akdom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:14 am

Hi all

I started percussions by playing West African riddims.. So my very first inspiration came from Mamady Keita, a master djembefola.

As years went by, I encontered congas.. my very first inspiration was then Poncho Sanchez. I know the he is not "aproved" by everyone, but at that time, as a beginer, I found him very easy to listen to and his technic is quite simple. He plays few notes but well spaced and placed...

Then of course the Fania.... Ray Barreto, Mongo Santamaria etc.. Mostly main stream stuff, but they all really helped me understanding the "feel" and technique.

Later on, I was impressed by Gio and late Anga...

Now, there are hundreds of highly skiller conguero to learn from...

B
akdom

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:00 am

Hi everybody,

For me, the most important inspiration is triple :

1. Orlando Poléo is my master. I took of him his spirit of the drum and the art to accompany. I teach in his way whith my own teaching.

2. Roberto Viscaino. I am in love with his style. He has tumbaos played only by him.

3. Eddie Montalvo for his his tumbao, phrasing and his groove.

Edited By Laurent Lamy on 1185613399

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... urent3.jpg
Laurent Lamy

Postby Doc Washboard » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:43 pm

To take a slightly different approach, my inspiration was my high school band director, Ken Howell. He made no bones about the fact that the percussion section was his favorite, and he taught us to be as openminded and innovative as possible. This led me to play instruments in addition to the drum set, like washboard and conga. I owe Mr. Howell a lot.
Doc Washboard

Postby congamyk » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 am

My music life changed when I heard John Coltrane's "Giant Steps".
I was a young sax player that picked up the horn late in life (23) and only knew how to sing.
Coltrane's music changed everything forward.

Congas/Percussion
I started playing congas years later and Jose Luiz Quintana "Changuito" was the person that lit a fire in me.
When I saw him in the Gio videos - he was the main influence.
He has more rhythmic soul than anyone I've seen.
Changuito Video!

Secondly, Airto Moreira is the Brazilian groove man.
Like Changuito, he is a complete music-maker.
All he needs is his hands and voice.
Airto Video!

Edited By congamyk on 1185777550
congamyk

Postby 117-1185347433 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:34 pm

Ah, "The Evolution of the Tumbadoras" video. For me right now, this is THE ultimate video on congas with no less than a Master of Masters, the Cuban Jose Luis "Changuito" Quintana, as one's teacher. If I had a choice of owning only 1 conga video, this video is absolutely it! :)

Ah, the countless, elegant yet very practical conga hand movements that Changuito demonstrated on that video! They're a real turn-on! It made feel like I wasted all my time with all my previous other videos and throwing them away.

It also made me grow tremendously in respect of Giovanni Hidalgo. There's no doubt about the fact that he's a percussion phenomenon and has arguably the fastest conga hands on the planet. But, I had prior reservations about him 'cause I had the misperception that Giovanni was more interested in conga hand acrobatics (ego) than expressing himself as a true percussion artist.

But, to see him as a humble student still in awe and utmost respect "at the feet" of Changuito, one of his former teachers, just made me admire Giovanni all the more, especially as a beautiful human being. :D

This video is definitely one that I'll keep playing over and over again. I passionately want to absorb all the conga hand movements that Changuito teaches like a sponge, but more importantly I dream of the time when I can remember them all by heart and be able to play them competently. :)

Edited By umannyt on 1185839568
117-1185347433

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:55 am

I heard a Muñequitos de Matanzas recording and was hooked when I was 14. Daniel Ponce was a huge early influence, I first heard his recordings many many years ago and loved the attack and vocab of his quinto work.
Through the 80's Irakere, I discovered El Niño and Anga, and of course Tata Guines. These were my earliest influences along with a few others,along the journey many congueros have inspired me, however, these were the first.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 pm

Early on I watched a Philippine drummer (Jun Regalado) and fell in love with his style and the fun he had. Made a deep impression. There've neen a lot since then. Fernando Valencia, a teacher from whom I learned a lot. More important than the legends are those here who continually inspire me: Johnny Conga, for his vast knowledge and experience and pride in his profession. Yoni, for his incredible doubles and fluidity and 24 carat integrity and gentleness. Derbeno, for his willingness to share publicly instructional basics of so many rudiments and patterns. Laurent Lamy also, for the professionalism of his instruction. Abakua, for gig tales of fun and allowing me to vicariously fantasize about his performances. David Penalosa, for humbling me in a good way, and making me realize how much I don't know about the technical/cultural aspects of this skin covered cylinder. There are many more. Thanks JC for seeing we needed "a new start". I agree.
CongaTick

Postby Omelenko » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm

My first inspiration to the drum was "El solar La Korea"in El Cerro neighborhood in La Habana. I must have been 7 or 8, a white boy with Gallego blood (Spanish heritage) from my father and mother.I heard rumba,guaguanco coming from La Korea and it was like a magnet,I was the only white kid admiring la rumba.
When I got to the States I saw Mongo on the Andy Williams show and from then on Mongo was the main influence. Mongo became like family for about 30 yrs. until he died,with me there holding his hands.
Other inspirations have been Tata,El Niño Alfonso, Daniel Ponce of ofcourse brother Gio. Dario

Attached: El Conguero Mayor and I

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _Mongo.jpg
Omelenko

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:14 pm

You and Me both Dario...ya tu sabe!.....tu socio...
"JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... and_Me.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 am

JC has an avantage ,he witness Mongo back in the late 60's and early 70's when Mighty Mongo was in his prime,in places such as the Metropol, Village Gate.......
Then when he moved west to LA he caught Mongo again many times. Mongo had a daughter who was born and raised in LA so he spent a lot of time there. I know Don Ramon has been an inpiration to thousands around the globe. Saludos, Dario. :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... maria1.jpg
Omelenko

Postby traumtyp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Amigos congueros,

Considero que mi inspiración fué en los inicios Little Johnny Rivera de la Sonora Ponceña, posteriormente ví una clínica en vivo con el Maestro Giovanny Hidalgo y cautivó mi atención por su maestría, así mismo encontré en las grabaciones de Irakere a el fallecido Miguel Angá Díaz que dejó su legado para nosotros en grabaciones y videos.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 7-anga.jpg
traumtyp

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Talking about "The Drum", I'd have to incorporate drum set players which has been my first instrument. It would lead too far off to name all the kit drummers who inspired me; but the guys who made me pick up drums at all were Charlie Watts (the intro to "Honky Tonk Women") and Jon Hiseman (the "Time Machine" solo with Colosseum).

When I saw Bill Summers perform with Herbie Hancock's Headhunters band, I realized for the first time that there is a job for a person called a percussionist.

As far as congas are concerned, I was influenced simply by the records that were available to me at the time (late 70s): Paulinho da Costa's "Agora", Chepito Areas' solo record, then Mongo's double albums "Skins" and "Afro Roots", Ray Baretto on the Fania records Live at the Cheetah, and Tito Puente's percussion solo numbers. I didn't only listen to the congas, though, but to the timbales and bongos as well. Anyway, the man who inspired me when I needed it most was Daniel Ponce with his "Solo para ti", no matter how much admiration I have for Tata, Changuito and all the other great drummers I listen to.

My favourite bongoceros are accidentally at the same time some of my favourite timbaleros: Manny Oquendo, Orestes Vilato, and Jimmy Delgado.

Thomas Altmann
Thomas Altmann

Next

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...