Names for Congas

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Here's a good one from a website called Salsaholic

http://www.salsaholic.de/curtis1.htm

Example four is a sample llamada. The llamada is what the salidor (whose name derives from salir, which refers to its job of bringing in the other drums) plays to bring in the rest of the drums. Many times, groups will coordinate with each other and develop complex llamadas that all the drums will play together. In this example, all the drums play a roll and then the salidor decides when to come in. Additional sample llamadas are included later.

basically saying salidor come from the word salir. Salir seems to be translted as to leave, or to exit?

Maybe someone more fluent in Spanish can comment on this and how the verb relates to the drum or drum role within the song?

Could it refer to the llamada that is being discussed and then the salidor calls the other drums to "exit" the llamada and begin the song?

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1199302850
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:49 am

Those "conical" drums are equivalent to the "yuka" drums in Cuba....see a connection ?....Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:31 am

More from A History of the Congas, by Dr. Olavo Alén Rodriguez

The biggest drum bears the name caja, although is it also called llamador ("caller"). The mid-sized drum is called mula but also segundo and dos y dos. The smallest is called the cachimbo or sometimes quinto. The similarity to the names of the rumba cajones is self-evident.

it's a very nice article available here

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/cidmuc.htm
bongosnotbombs

Postby Gallichio » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:12 am

Anyone know where the term Boomba came from?
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Re: Names for Congas

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm

HOLA MAESTRO JOHNNY, I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF PABLO LANDRUM IS STILL AROUND AS I WAS ALSO A STUDENT OF HIS IN THE EARLY SEVENTIES? GRACIAS PAPA
BRONXNATIVE

Postby Anonimo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 pm

The term is "Bomba" not "Boomba". Is folkloric Puerto Rican music from Loisa Aldea, a town of great African traditions on the North coast. Bomba drums ( tambores de bomba) are used to play the rhythm. Similar to tumbadoras but shoter and wider. La Familia Cepeda, ambassadors of the P. Ricam Bomba. Los Muñequitos, ambassadors of Cuban rumba.

Dario
Omelenko1

Re:

Postby Anonimo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Anonimo

Re: Re:

Postby Jibaro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

leedy2 wrote:
Gallichio wrote:Anyone know where the term Boomba came from?

The bomba is a uniquely Puerto Rican musical genre for dance.

Yes, but "boomba" is a made up name for Volcano Percussion's 14" conga. Marketed as bigger than a super tumba and good for playing bomba. Mr. Alexander likely thought it up himself, and it exists only in his product line.

And yes I realize this question is over two years old. Given Mr. Gallicio's Volcano connection I suspect he already figured this out.

R
Jibaro

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Jibaro wrote:Yes, but "boomba" is a made up name for Volcano Percussion's 14" conga. Marketed as bigger than a super tumba and good for playing bomba. Mr. Alexander likely thought it up himself, and it exists only in his product line..

I do not think "boomba" is all that made-up. It seems to me the name "Boomba" is used to suggest "Bomba" since probably the maker of the drum can not legally name his drum "Bomba". Is not hard to figure out that "Boomba" is most likely a derivative of "Bomba". They just added an "O" to "Bomba" that's all nothing new or all that made up here and what really gives it away is that is marketed as "good for playing "Bomba".
RitmoBoricua

Postby Jibaro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:
I do not think "boomba" is all that made-up. It seems to me the name "Boomba" is used to suggest "Bomba" since probably the maker of the drum can not legally name his drum "Bomba". Is not hard to figure out that "Boomba" is most likely a derivative of "Bomba". They just added an "O" to "Bomba" that's all nothing new or all that made up here and what really gives it away is that is marketed as "good for playing "Bomba".

If no one else has ever used it as a name for a drum, then he made it up!

And those two OOs make it look nothing like a Spanish word... an Anglophone sees that and thinks "bumba" (or ¡PUM! ba).

I have no evidence that he was the first... except for the lack of any evidence that it has ever been used at all.

Probably intended as a cross between BOOM! for big sound, and bomba... bonus - sounds like tumba.

I can't imagine any legal problem with naming his drum a bomba - might make it difficult at security checkpoints though 8)

R
Jibaro

Postby Anonimo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Anonimo

Postby polakita » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Its a good idea to discuss... I recently started learing to play .... that thing :lol: so I finally want to know what I play. Congas although the word is in Spanish, is not correct and if I tell to a Cuban "conga" they will not think about a drum, but about the rythm. So "conga" is the name for "gringos" :lol: People living outside of Cuba have given their names, the other is "salsa" which in Cuba does not have to do much with music, as far as I know... "salsa" is a name for gringos who do not understand the complexity and variety of cuban rythms hahahha this is what my teacher said and I believe he is so much right...
polakita

Postby niallgregory » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

polakita wrote:Its a good idea to discuss... I recently started learing to play .... that thing :lol: so I finally want to know what I play. Congas although the word is in Spanish, is not correct and if I tell to a Cuban "conga" they will not think about a drum, but about the rythm. So "conga" is the name for "gringos" :lol: People living outside of Cuba have given their names, the other is "salsa" which in Cuba does not have to do much with music, as far as I know... "salsa" is a name for gringos who do not understand the complexity and variety of cuban rythms hahahha this is what my teacher said and I believe he is so much right...

Not necessarily true .Some in cuba do indeed refer to the drums as congas , others call them tumbadoras etc .Ive also heard cubans call the music salsa .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:01 am

Anonimo

PreviousNext

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...