1940's Cuban tack head I bought in 1979

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Re: 1940's Cuban tack head I bought in 1979

Postby MACHO123 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 pm

I have a Cuban Tack Head that a got from an old Cuban gentleman down in Miami years ago. It was refitted with some crudely constructed hardware. When I got it, it was in bad shape. I fixed about ten cracks in it and changed the skin and hardware. I don't know what kind of wood was used but it's very light. It had to be because it had a shoulder strap on it.
I also have to add that out of all my 30 Congas, this old Cuban Tack Head is perhaps one of the top sounding congas I own. It's an 11", wish I could find a Tumba for it.

IMG_0012.PNG

IMG_0272.PNG

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

In the second pic you can see the tack marks. The first pic is a b4 and after, in this pic you can also see the marks of the old hardware.
The last pic is the finished product. Awesome sounding drum.
MACHO123

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 pm

What a beauty, lots of character. One of the best looking drums
I have seen in a while. I like the fact that you did not try to hide
the tack holes or the bands impressions. The plates seem to be
Gon Bops with an LP crown. I almost certain the wood is spruce.
Great Job!
RitmoBoricua

Postby Mike » Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 am

Wow, 30 congas :shock: ! You must be a serious collector.

This particular drum looks awesome. Yes, the wood is most likely spruce.
Very nice. And you did a very good resto job 8)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:58 am

Can't get nothing by Ritmo :lol: Thanks for the compliments guys. Yep. Gon Bops side plates, LP crown and Manito tuning lugs. I used some spare hardware I had laying around. I wanted to see what it sounded like before I invested in better hardware and bands. Let me tell guys, this is a badass sounding tumbadora. The range is incredible. I can tune it high to use as a Quinto or tune it low for a Tumba. Not all drums can do that. If the wood is Spruce I wonder why its not used today. It has great tone quality and very light. It would be a great gig set because of the weight, if only I can find a 12" just like it.

Yes indeed Mike, 30 drums. Thank God my wife tolerates it. They're all over the house sometimes when I mess around with them but I have a spare room for them. THE CONGA ROOM I call it. She just laughs, she understands it's my passion. I didn't start out to be a collector, it just happened thanks again to this forum. Except for a few I purchased at a premium, most I bought on the cheap on ebay and CL over the last 18 months and fixed them all up myself. Some I keep, some I sell. What can I say, I took one hit of that CONGA CRACK and I was HOOKED :lol:

THE CONGA ROOM
FullSizeRender (12).jpg

Some of my Congas. Since this pic I've acquired a few more.
MACHO123

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 pm

MACHO123 wrote:Can't get nothing by Ritmo

What can I say, you guys have taught me well in this forum,
and I keep learning more and more from you guys.

MACHO123 wrote:Thank God my wife tolerates it. They're all over the house sometimes when I mess around with them but I have a spare room for them. THE CONGA ROOM I call it. She just laughs, she understands it's my passion. I didn't start out to be a collector, it just happened thanks again to this forum. Except for a few I purchased at a premium, most I bought on the cheap on ebay and CL over the last 18 months and fixed them all up myself. Some I keep, some I sell. What can I say, I took one hit of that CONGA CRACK and I was HOOKED

Basically my story as well. You know I think Jay (SOS) used spruce on
some of his congas back in the day, perhaps one of the NYC seasoned
rumberos in this forum can verify that. Spruce is widely used on acoustic
guitars as well. One of the qualities of spruce is that is light and has
superb tensile strength.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Mike » Tue May 12, 2015 12:58 pm

MACHO123 wrote:Yes indeed Mike, 30 drums. Thank God my wife tolerates it. They're all over the house sometimes when I mess around with them but I have a spare room for them. THE CONGA ROOM I call it. She just laughs, she understands it's my passion. [...] I took one hit of that CONGA CRACK and I was HOOKED :lol:

You are blesed with a very tolerant wife indeed. :o
Have lots of fun with your bunch of tumbadoras!!

RitmoBoricua wrote:Spruce is widely used on acoustic
guitars as well. One of the qualities of spruce is that is light and has
superb tensile strength.

Yes, I can relate,
my Delaporte spruce congas are plain awesome.
MACHO123, do you already own Delaportes? :wink: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 pm

No Mike, unfortunately at the moment I haven't come across any Delaporte Congas. But if I do, rest assured that I will get them. From what I've read in this forum they're very sought after Tumbadoras. And now that I know that they're made of spruce I won't hesitate being that I know more or less what they'll sound like now. I've had the privilege of owning the following:

-Junior Tumba. Still looking for the Conga.
-1976 Oak SOS set. Quinto/Conga. looking for the Tumba. This set I will get in two days from Mr. Rumba. Can't wait!
-A set of four Valje. 10.5" 11.25" 11.5" 12.5". Also have a spare Tumba now for sale. just refinished it. :wink:
-A Timba Oak set. 10.5" 11.75" IMHO the most underrated Congas out there. Superb sound. My wife's favorite set.
-Gon Bops galore. 7 total, just sold a set on Ebay last week.
-HR El Piernas Guayacan set of two.
-LP Custom set from the 70's 12" 12.5"
-Matt Smith 11" Quinto. looking for Conga and Tumba
-"El Chino" Caoba Afrosound Percussion set. 9.75" 11 1/8" seven lug Conga. My personal favorite set. Yes over everything else. If you've played them you know why. If I find a Tumba, I'll sell al my drums and not care, that's how badass they are :shock:
Plus others I can't remember and some obscure Congas that have no name or marking but sound awesome. BTW, a lot of good drums came from Mexico believe it or not. The shells for the Afrosound Congas were made in Mexico and the hardware and assembly in Miami, Florida. If your not familiar with them, there aren't many pics or literature about them, (less than 200 or so were ever made) here a pic of mine after being restored to glory.

AFROSOUND CONGAS.jpg
MACHO123

Postby Mike » Tue May 12, 2015 7:53 pm

I was just poking mild fun, rubbing that Delaporte thingee in ;-)
Owning four, I am quite happy with them btw :P

But beyond any doubt, your array of top-notch congas is amazing,
no, stunning, period. 8)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I blame it on this forum :wink: :lol: I started reading about all these different Tumbadoras and had to see what all the fuss was about. And like I said before, once I took a hit of that Conga Crack...it was over.
MACHO123

Postby Psych1 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 pm

My Cuban tack-head, I believe from the 1930s, all mahogany. I thought about retrofitting it with hardware - very glad I didn't. Tunes up easily with a spot light. Great deep sound.
Attachments
IMG_0093.JPG
Psych1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu May 14, 2015 10:23 am

I tell you, you guys have cool drums up the wazoo!
Vintage Cuban tack head mahogany conga, amazing
that this drum even still exist today after all these
decades and in such a good shape too boot.
Keep Them Coming, Loving It!
RitmoBoricua

Postby MACHO123 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:26 pm

HOLY EFFIN COW PHYCH1!! I'm in love. That's an monumental piece of history. Thank God you left it ALL original. It would have been criminal to drill holes in that beauty. No hardware is worthy of that magnificent marvel of a drum. WOW! I'm totally flabbergasted. If you ever want to buy a house, let me know so I can buy the drum from you :lol: That's what I think it's worth, a house :shock: Just kidding, but I would definitely pay super top dollar for it or one like it. Phych1; you should venture offers just to see what you might fetch for it. Not sell it, but entertain offers. Like for example, I'd give you a starting offer, with increasing increments of course, of $1500. Which means that I don't think its worth less than that.
MACHO123

Postby Psych1 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 am

Thanks for the compliments on the conga. I do have a few drums, congas and bongos, that I'm not sure what to do with. They do belong in museums but they also need to be played. I don't really play them enough to justify keeping them. I've been considering taking the old Cuban drums back to Cuba and donating them to the right place - if I can ever figure out what the right place is. I don't need/want to just sell them.
Psych1

Previous

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...