Valje Tumba - Worth $500.00 ??

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Valje Tumba - Worth $500.00 ??

Postby rcoogan1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:22 am

I have an opportunity to purchase a Valje Tumba in good condition. I presently use a Roland handsonic and would like to try the "real" thing. I've been told that this
Valje has a history of playing all over the world and especailly at the oldest jazz club in the world; Baker's Keyboard Lounge. This is my favorite Jazz Club and so the history of this is cool, but is it worth it to me??
Let me hear from someone who might have some information for this novice (me). Should I buy new for around the same price, or buy this Tumba if I can talk him down to $300.00 (a real possibility) ?
Thanks to all in advance!
Rick
rcoogan1

Re: Valje Tumba - Worth $500.00 ??

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 am

Talk him down. $500 is not totally unreasonable, but it should be in very good condition for that price. I love my Valje tumba, and wouldn't part with it for anything.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby thomas newton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am

The histories of instruments might be interesting but shouldn't affect the price imo. Maybe with one or two exceptions.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby Garvin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Rick, I saw that Tumba on the Detroit CL. Are you in Michigan?

Try and make a deal. I know someone else down there who has a set of 3 Valjes (which need some love). But there are others for sale in Michigan if you need some kind of bargaining chip. The worst thing he can say is "no".

I've played on the Bakers stage before. Cool place. Great music.
Garvin

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:01 pm

The tumba at craigslist in question you mention, Garvin
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1963366370.html
supposedly looks like this:
valje congas.jpg
valje congas.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 16081 times

In any case a very, very nice and sought-after drum - with Siam oak
shell I guess, as Tony mentions here:
http://congadr.blogspot.com/2008/05/val ... ution.html

Anayway, good luck with your planned purchase.
lease do let us know how it turned out if you succeeded, rcoogan1.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

The picture Mike posted is of the LP produced Valjes and do not have the same value as Tom Flores' quarter sawn oak Valjes, like mine :wink: Or of Akbar's SF produced Valjes.
Attachments
DSCF1981.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:The picture Mike posted is of the LP produced Valjes and do not have the same value as Tom Flores' quarter sawn oak Valjes, like mine :wink:

You are so right, but the seller at craigslist wrote somethiing about "blonde wood",
which is why I thought it was Siam oak.
Or is it something like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-VALJE-RESOLUTIO ... 56409bd3da

Anyway, I always turn green with envy when I see you Valje tumba :mrgreen:
I also dig the matching wood color of your floor boards :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Anonimo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Anonimo

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Mike wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:The picture Mike posted is of the LP produced Valjes and do not have the same value as Tom Flores' quarter sawn oak Valjes, like mine :wink:

You are so right, but the seller at craigslist wrote somethiing about "blonde wood",
which is why I thought it was Siam oak.
Or is it something like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-VALJE-RESOLUTIO ... 56409bd3da

That one on Ebay looks like a Resolution, or a drum made by Ralph. The lug plates are different than the vintage Valjes, and it has the silver colored stickers Ralph likes to use, but mine don't have a made in usa sticker like that. That drums is missing some of the original lugs. It looks a bit beat up too. I use mine all the time and I've had them over two years and I don't have those kind of scratches or any replacement lugs. I think that one is older than mine, because iot has a bleached head, and Ralph can't get those anymore, so mine didn't get them. Also mine were the first with bands and I think the Valjes are suppposed to get bands too. So depending on what size it is, the ebay drum could be a Valje or Resolution made by Ralph. Probably a Resolution. The Resolutions are an inch shorter than Valjes. Ralph was going to make the new Valjes exactly the same as the vintage ones. A Ralph made drum would be worth the $500. Very well made, newer, and just as rare actually. This is the first conga I've seen besides mine. I've seen a few of the bongos, but not the congas around.

The craigslist ad mentions a Valje signature head as well, I missed that before. That tells me the drum is probably an LP. I've never seen a Valje with anything stamped on the head. But most Valjes either have very used or replacement heads as they are at least 20 years old. I guess they might have put a new LP head on an old Valje though?

Mike wrote:Anyway, I always turn green with envy when I see you Valje tumba :mrgreen:
I also dig the matching wood color of your floor boards :wink:

I have to take new photos now, those ones are in my last place with oak floors. I'm in a new apartment in SF, my floors and cabinets are now cherry. 8)
Attachments
DSCF0926.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby Anonimo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonimo

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:02 pm

A friend of mine has a set of the original Valjes and when I'd go over there that's where I always gravitated to. When my Gon Bops lived there I would visit them for a minute, of course, but then I'd go over to those. Especially the Tumba.
roberthelpus

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm

I cherish my Valje conga very much even it was made under LP,
the Siam oak has a really nice finish, not the shiny polyurethane finish
like LP´s other congas, and a very solid construction too. I do know
that the original Valjes are still superior though. Man, what would I give for
a Resolution oak tumbadora *stop dreaming*
But this one is the closest Valje I could get in Europe...
Valje conga.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Anonimo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Attachments
fd_019.JPG
Gon bops with Valje plates made by Tom Flores 1958-59 before valje
fd_019.JPG (27.89 KiB) Viewed 15957 times
Anonimo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 am

Hey,

I bought that Valje Tumba and I believeitis a Resolution Tumba.

It sounded terrible when I recieved it but I modified a Remo Mondo head to fit it and now it sings. The Mondo head was all I had on hand at the time that fit the Tumba well. (a 12 1/2" head on a 12"drum? , Huh)The Remo head was a perfectfitbutthrcrown was too small so I had to adjust the collar of the head.

Well, I oiled and gave it someTLC and I feel likethe Tumba is rewarding me for my efforts with the way she sings for me. The song she sings is truly music to my ears. I tooamalittlebeat up from my years in construction soIidentify with this ole' girlfriend.

Keepit fun,

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Next

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...