Could this be a great find?

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Could this be a great find?

Postby DJBakan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Hello to ALL,

I been a member for a year already and I learned a lot from you guys and I still need a long way to go.
I saw this drum online only as "CUBAN CONGA CIRCA 1940" and I was wondering if it could be good find. I see a lot of pictures here in this forum about Requena and Vergaras but I have never see one of those in person.

Is it a valuable drum or just good for a Drum Collector?

Thanks

DJBakan
Attachments
conga.png
conga.png (224.3 KiB) Viewed 14851 times
DJBakan

Re: Could this be a great find?

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:40 am

An old Requena where the outer bands have been removed. Incredible find.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby DJBakan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 am

Here are more pictures.
Attachments
Conga Circa 1940 001.jpg
Conga Circa 1940 002.jpg
Conga Circa 1940 003.jpg
Conga Circa 1940 004.jpg
DJBakan

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:02 am

Great stuff, definately a Requena.. Looks like its in need of some Matthew Smithanization.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Anonimo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:52 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Very nice, definitely Req's... though I'd venture to guess early 50's as opposed to 1940.
So did you buy it?
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby DJBakan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 am

I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST THAT CONGA!!! I HATE MY SELF...

I am sorry guys I let you all down :-(
Well It was not all my fault I guess half so I do not feel that bad.

This is what happened. I called yesterday to the store and I asked this girl name Nicole "What is the condition? Does it have any crack? bla bla bla"
She said she was going to send me some pictures. I called a little later after I talked to a couple of people here in the forum.
She answered again and said I am taking your pictures right now I told her fine but I want to give you my information because I want the drum. But send me the pictures anyway. She took my info credit card number and everything. And she said I tell you what I am going to get all your info but I will not process the the order until you get your pictures and you are happy and say YES I will charge the account.
I told her but I do not want to lost the drum she said don't worry I will separate the drum for you so nobody else can't get it. I just want to make sure I don't lose it. She said fine don't worry.
So after a couple hours I did not get the email. She called me saying the email bounce back she got the wrong email. So she sent me the email with the other pictures the ones I post later. and I replied Yes process the order.
It seems while I was waiting the email someone bought it online. I being fighting all day in the phone about this. I told them that she said nobody else can't take the drum, this and that. I explained to them what happened. They said that she was new and she did not know that once is online it can not be saved. and the only purchase processed was the others person (a woman).
So now I do not have the drum.

I still going to call tomorrow. they told me that they talked with the woman so maybe she can sell it to me. But I do not think she will.

So that's it. Maybe that drum will be a old dark baseman with probably some other old stuff and will never get restored.

My BAD!!! next time I will not think twice and I will make sure I get my order processed.

DJBakan :cry:
DJBakan

Postby congabluedog » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:18 am

Hi Alwin...this is Jacqui. I only know your real name because the store owner gave it to me and then I saw Leedy use it so I knew for sure you were the guy. I just came back from a drum lesson and would have called you sooner but I left your #at school..I am a teacher. Anyway, I bought the drum..but I did not see your post. And today has been extremely stressful on account of these drums. I left my cell phone at home so I borrowed the school nurses phone to call the store and give them some specific shipping instructions.....this is when the whole mess started.

Anyway...long story short. I was gone for the weekend...had jury duty yesterday...was let out by noon....went home exhausted because I am really sick and basically let myself veg. and do my conga/bongo searches. I collect drums, play and also teach Music. When I found these on a site I regularly go on...Music Go Round...I immediatly knew what they were, didn't give a damn about the condition because the price was excellent...and I pressed "Buy" and paid for them on the spot.

I am a regular user of congaplace...but I almost NEVER go on the section you posted on. I almost exclusively go on conga set and accessaries and the same for the bongos. When the store told me there was this extremely upset man I went on CP on my lunch 45min. and searched to see if I could find out if this drum had made it to congaplace. And it did. I am really sorry. I am happy to talk to you about it if you want. You can pm me if you want me to call.

I have learned from experience to buy first when the price is right or if you really want something, and ask questions later. I have lost drums and I have paid too much for drums....and I guess I choose to err on the side of making a wrong choice and paying too much rather than losing something I really want. I have also learned not to ask too many people about drums anymore because I have gotten the answer...."I am also trying to get these.' I have people that will vouch for me on the fact that I back down and let the other person get it.

Anyway...I am going on and on. I don't know how long this drum was listed...I only saw it Monday and I bought it immediately. Now I feel terrible. I found this drum on my own ..without any help from congaplace. Just wanted to let you know. I am again sorry...I didn't try to take this from under you...I am not like that. Just wanted you to know. Jacqui
congabluedog

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 am

Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 am

What kind of wood were those Requenas made of ? from the pics it looks like Pine the heavy sappy pine, sometimes you find this pine that has been petrified, it weights a ton and hard to work with, dulls your tools.
Peace
Olsongo.
OLSONGO

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am

Anonimo

Postby DJBakan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I just send a pm to Jacqui explaining that is nor her fault so she doesn't have to feel bad about it. It was my fault for getting to overconfident i got the drum.
I should have know better, when the sale's person said "don't worry I will save it for you" as I told her "Experience is costly"

I feel really better now that I know that someone that is a drummer and that knows the historical value (more than me probably) of this drum got it. I do believe what she said about getting this drum without the help of congaplace. I thought the person that got the drum was one of those collector that just like to buy old stuff and fill their garage with things.

I was really piss specially with this "Nicole" when I told her "I do want the drum" and gave her my credit card she was supposed to charge me right away not let the customer wait to accept or back down later. But well I think I learned my lesson now.

I was going to ask Jacqui to a "Conga Competition" and the winner gets the drum!!! Letting JohnnyConga and Leedy2 to be the judges but since she is a music teacher and have more experience than me she probably will beat my ass any way. That would it be even worse, getting my drum and whipping my ass :D I DO NOT WANT THAT!!!

Peace

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby congabluedog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 am

Oh my God Alwin you are klling me. Well tonight is your lucky night. I am going to take you up on that competition and if you whoop my ass the drum is yours...but if I whoop your ass...the drum is also yours. :shock:

Do you have a car? Because if you do you can take that ass of yours that I just might whoop and drive it to Brooklyn, then detour on over to PA and see M. Smith for the overhaul if that is what you are planning on doing. I will sell you the drum at cost....this isn't about $.

I can guarantee you that I would love this drum as much as you ...but I want you to have it. You may not know this but before you gave the store your name and # to give me...I asked Phil who the hell this guy was that was so upset and I offered to call you and talk to you. I was so upset at school yesterday. You have to understand that I was told I imagine something very similar to you....that I might not have the drum even though I paid for it. I too was really excited that I had this drum and then it was taken away. They researched it and determined I guess that I pressed the buy button several hours before you told Nicole to purchase the drum....or something like that I forget what he said exactly. But I was also preparing to fight for the drum just like you. So then basically after I am promised the drum the nurse gets a call(my cell was at home of all days) and she has to interrupt me...I am walking down the stairs with my lunch kids only to have Phil tell me how some guy is really upset and he is really upset. And the story goes on.

Regardless of anything. Just do me a favor...I am sure that this poor woman Nicole is very upset and just wanted to help you...just call and tell her the good news and make her feel better. She must be sick over it. She cared enough about you to make sure you would be happy with your purchase, and being new she didn't know about the internet. CALL AND BE NICE TO HER!!!!! You should also thank Phil because he was trying to look out for you and was trying to do what was right. And most importantly don't hate yourself. God that really upset me..I felt terrible for you.

So I really want you to have this damn drum...If you can't make it up to Brooklyn I will mail it to you....obviously you have to pay for the shipping I payed and the shipping I will have to pay to send to you. We can talk about that over the phone. Take the drum...another one will come my way some day. But if you don't like it when you see it or you decide that you don't want it anymore, it no longer suits your needs... you have to give me the chance to buy it back at cost plus whatever you pay to Matt Smith. I think the drum looks beautiful...and I know it is light because UPS tracking says it is only 12 pounds. There is also a tag inside that says Solis Havana. OK Alwin I hope you love this drum...it seems like you do and that it belongs to you. Before I go I just want to say to Cuco that you always have my back...thanks for that. Congabluedog 8)
congabluedog

Postby MedinaNYC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:30 am

Congabluedog, where in BK do you teach?
MedinaNYC

Postby congabluedog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Medina....District 75, Brooklyn....Mainly kids who are severely emotionally disturbed and some with autism. Most of my classes are the first kids. Are you a teacher here in NYC?

Alwin...I just wanrt you to know that I pmed and e-mailed you. If you didn't get the e-mails let me know. I would call you but am very sick and completely have lost my voice. I literally can't speak. Jacqui
congabluedog

Next

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...