Favorite Natural Skin for Hembra

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Favorite Natural Skin for Hembra

Postby mpags » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Saludos! Now that I think I have my macho skin choice solved, what are the some recommendations for a natural skin for the hembra. The one that came on my Matador bongó does not sound bad. But it is not anything special either. What are the choices that might yield a fuller richer tone?
Gracias in advance!
mpags

Re: Favorite Natural Skin for Hembra

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 pm

¡Hola!

Do you know the set of expression "If it's not broken, don't fix it"? :)

If you absolutely want to change it, any old conga skin will fit, as long as it's not broken, worn, nor too thick. I suggest you to measure the thickness of the original one to see if you can find something similar. Try to find a conguero in your neighbourhood and ask him/her. :wink:

If you can't find any, try horse (thicker than for the macho) or cow, bull, whatever you can find. My motto has always been "Play what you can find/afford".

The choice of the animal depends on personal tastes : some prefer bleached cow, some swear only by mule, etc. And some want synthetic (matter of taste, climate conditions and practice)

These are just my 2 centavos :) , maybe other members will suggest you something else.
Chtimulato

Postby mpags » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Gracias Chtimulato.
mpags

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:02 pm

When looking at skins for hembra is there any particular thickness one looks for? There is one provider with cow hide that says his skins are 3mm. A good thickness?
mpags

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm

There is one provider with cow hide that says his skins are 3mm. A good thickness?

No. I wouldn't even put that on the tumbadora. I would opt for 1 - 1,5 mm. Not more than 2.

That would be my suggestion.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 pm

I second Thomas here.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Thomas is right!!
Juaort

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Gracias amigos.
mpags

Postby caballoballo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 pm

My choice would be a thick one not less than 1/8". A thinner head will not give you the desirable low fat tone.

Usually mule, cow or steer will be my choice and also an old conga skin.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:21 pm

I second Josean here. :)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Interesting the different perspectives...
mpags

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:01 pm

So remember : not too thin, an not too thick... :)
Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Exactly for the sake of diversity I had initially chosen to leave caballoballo's and Mike's inputs uncommented. I can only speak for myself, my own musical taste and my personal opinion.

1/8" is 0.125", and this means 3.175 mm. What impresses me first of all, is that it must take a real man to force such a hide onto a drum of max. 9 inches! I have what I find two extreme thick skins on my bongo hembra and on my okónkolo. The okónkolo sounds great, it sings like a bell. But the bongo head is actually too thick. The sound is nice, though. Maybe a bit dry, like muffled. But some people may like especially that. Equally, there are people who like single-headed bass drums with pillows and blankets inside.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "A thinner head will not give you the desirable low fat tone." That implies that (1) you claim to know what other players desire (or should desire), and that (2) all bongoceros before the 1950's had a thin tone. Or do you honestly believe that Papa Kila or José Mangual nailed 1/8" skins on their drums? I mean, I couldn't even prove the contrary, because I was born too late to look or ask.

I'm going to measure the gauge of my (thick) bongo head tomorrow, just for a reference.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Made my trip to Rythym Traders today. This place is truly like Alice in Wonderland for percussionists! They were very helpful. The calf skin I got was only $21 U.S., a pretty good price. They had some cow and some horse also. I don´t have calipers but it looks to be about 1mm on the thinnest side and 2 on the thickest. The person helping suggested not going any thicker and I took his suggestion along with the input received here.I´m going to mount it right up the middle. So, it will probably split the difference. Fun stuff!

I also was able to get a spare flesh hoop for both the macho and the hembra at a reasonable price. Thanks to all who contributed! their thoughts. It is appreciated.
mpags

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Exactly for the sake of diversity I had initially chosen to leave caballoballo's and Mike's inputs uncommented. I can only speak for myself, my own musical taste and my personal opinion.

1/8" is 0.125", and this means 3.175 mm. What impresses me first of all, is that it must take a real man to force such a hide onto a drum of max. 9 inches! I have what I find two extreme thick skins on my bongo hembra and on my okónkolo. The okónkolo sounds great, it sings like a bell. But the bongo head is actually too thick. The sound is nice, though. Maybe a bit dry, like muffled. But some people may like especially that.

Diversity of opinions - I am fine with that!:)
And well, I AM a real man ;), of course it takes that alligator wrestling thing to mount a 3+mm skin on a hembra. But still, it is possible and I'm modestly proud to say that I have done that at least half a dozen times.

And you are right, for me the perfect hembra sound is low and very dry. I'd say at the end of the day it is simply a matter of taste.
Peace & drum
Mike

Next

Return to Bongo