Buenos Dias

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Buenos Dias

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Hola amigos,
I am new to the forum and also to bongos. My name is Michael and I live in Oaxaca, Mexico. I am a vocalist and guitarist but have recently been learning bongos to add an element of hand percussion to a small jazz, bossa and bolero ensemble. It has been very fun and very addictive!

I have appreciated reading through many of the threads here and have learned a lot. I started with a cheap Extreme set but quickly realized the limitations and those will go to some young person here in Oaxaca who would like to learn but whose family may not have the means to buy them a set. I have since purchased a set of LP Matador in natural. They look and sound great. But I have noticed that the macho doesn´t have the articulation that would be ideal.

Reading through many of the threads and comments, I can see this is a common issue and the recommendation often has been to replace them with muleskin. Does anyone know of a good supplier here in Mexico or in the U.S. for these? I would prefer a flat skin and fit it myself. I´ve done one and really enjoyed it!

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning a lot from this group.
mpags

Re: Buenos Dias

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Hola.
Welcome here, compañero.

It should be easier for you than for me find something in Mexico or in another South American country... :)

In the USA, I can recommend this well-known site :
https://manitopercussion.com/
or this one : http://www.sterntanning.com/

Mule has become harder to find nowadays, at least here in Europe.

If you absolutely want to buy mule, start to save money and go here : https://primordialvibespercussion.com/ (I believe they're based in Australia).
Chtimulato

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Hola.
Welcome here, compañero.

It should be easier for you than for me find something in Mexico or in another South American country... :)

In the USA, I can recommend this well-known site :
https://manitopercussion.com/
or this one : http://www.sterntanning.com/

Mule has become harder to find nowadays, at least here in Europe.

If you absolutely want to buy mule, start to save money and go here : https://primordialvibespercussion.com/ (I believe they're based in Australia).

Muchas gracias! I have searched the internet but come up empty here in Mexico with the possible exception of a guy in Jalisco that is showing them on Facebook for a reasonable price. I have sent him a message via messenger and am awaiting a response. I go to the U.S. a few times a year to visit family, so if I find something I like, I can have it sent to me when I am there. I will be there later this month.

I am also travelling to Mexico City in a week or so and will scout things out there. Any suggestions for a backup material to mule for a the macho?
Que tenga un buen dia!
mpags

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 pm

I'm not sure to understand this question :
Any suggestions for a backup material to mule for a the macho?
, sorry.

If you mean another suggestion as mule, I recommend horse too. Thin horse, thin mule, thin steer, thin bull, thin cow.
Mule is sought after because it's sterile, so the skin is stiff, and not so elastic as cow. Same for horse, as good as mule. That's what I've been told at any case. But some like cow, it's a matter of taste.

And I personaly prefer a thin skin on the macho (not more than 1mm). But some people can have other tastes. People who play bachata for instance prefer thicker skins.

I believe you could find some mule skins in other South American countries. I know they sell some in Perú for instance. If you have some connections there...
Or try by Colombian brands : HR el Piernas, Colombia Percusión (CP) or Tamborres Barranquilla. I don't know if they have a web site, but I believe Tambores Barranquilla at least has a Facebook page.

BTW, Matador is a good choice : it's a good price-quality ratio.

Buenas tardes, everybody. :)
Chtimulato

Postby mpags » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Yes Chtimulato, that is what I meant. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Thanks for those resources and recommendations. I will explore them!
mpags

Postby Yuca » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 am

mpags wrote:Hola amigos,
Does anyone know of a good supplier here in Mexico or in the U.S. for these? I would prefer a flat skin and fit it myself.

There are a number of Facebook groups for bongoceros. Some of them have a lot of members and activity, including people in your country, so you may well find what you want. In fact there's probably someone in CDMX who can help you out.

By coincidence I've been in your country since July of this year (I'm in Puebla) but personally I know no musicians or music shops. I bought new skins a year or 2 ago (HR - I was based in Cali, Colombia at the time) and they're still going strong hence I've had no motive to investigate the topic.

De todas maneras, te deseo muchísimo éxito con todo.
Yuca

Postby mpags » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Gracias y Saludos Yuca! I am going to be in CDMX next week and I´ll see what I can find. I did contact a couple of people from the Facebook groups that you mention but neither had natural mule in stock.
mpags

Postby Juaort » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Hola Michael, como estas? Bienvenido! Aqui tengo dos sites donde yo e podido encontrar cueros para mis Bongoces.

•Rhythmtraders.com
• Art Drum

Buenos cueros a buen precio. What I’ve been using on my set is Caballo on the Macho y Steer, Mule or Vaca en la Hembra.

Espero que esta informaccion te ayude.

JuaOrt
Juaort

Postby mpags » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Gracias JuaOrt! I have spoken with Greg at Artdrum. He is checking his stock and getting back to me. He was low on supply. He may be able to get in a new hide and get it to me when I am in the U.S. later this month. I will explore the other supplier.

Gracias por tu ayuda!
mpags

Postby Juaort » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Chevere!
Juaort

Postby mpags » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:07 pm

Rhythm Traders is in Portland, Oregon and that happens to be where I am going later this month to visit family. On their website they show goat or calf. I am familiar with goat and would prefer mule or horse but what are people´s thoughts on calf if it is thin enough. Like, no more than 1mm for a macho?

I have messaged them to see if they have mule or horse. Their website, while attractive, looked a little sparse in terms of their inventory. Either way, it will be a fun place to visit with my grandson!!
mpags

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:22 pm

From what I know, goat should not be sturdy enough to stand constant tuning and detuning on a bongó.

Calf could be interesting (I've used one once temporarily, as I was waiting for a good skin to arrive), but I remember a video of Giovanni and Changuito on YouTube (I don't remember which one, sorry - maybe Evolution of the tumbadora?) where they both stated that calf hurts the hands.
Chtimulato

Postby mpags » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Interesting Chtimulato. That was my impression of goat also. It just seemed too thin and would not last. If I don´t come up with some mula or horse before I go to Portland, I may pick one up as a temporary solution. Odd that it would hurt their hands any more than cow hide or any other.

Just want to express my appreciation for all the help and suggestions I´m getting here. Glad I found this forum!
Last edited by mpags on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpags

Postby Juaort » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 am

My experience with Goat skins is that they are too ringy. I did not like the sound at all and have never used it again. I have friend that play middle eastern drums and goat is perfect for that type of drum. And as Chtimulato said, they don’t seem to take the constant tuning and detuning on a Bongo.
Juaort

Postby mpags » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:20 pm

I agree JuaOrt. I tried one on my Extreme bongos. Very thin, very ringy. I might have been unclear above. If I can find mule or horse, I may try the calf skin. Have you ever tried that?
mpags

Next

Return to Bongo