Is changing the heads worth it?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Is changing the heads worth it?

Postby scavard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:36 am

Siete Leguas wrote:the heads played by Pakito Baeza on the video seem to be from the Aspire Series

I actually thought the same thing when I saw it for the first time. That would mean the heads don't really matter :D or at least when you are a professional and know how to get that specific sound.
scavard

Postby Juaort » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone! In recent years I’ve been using a thin horse skin on the Macho of my Bongos. I just like the pop, feel and durability of it. I’ve owned several Matador sets in the past (I love the early ones) and they are as good as it gets for an affordable price. Changing the heads definitely depends on you and what sound you’re looking for. But there is a huge difference from stock to custom heads (ones you mount yourself) the quality is better. You also pay a little more for them in most cases.
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Siete Leguas wrote:BTW, the bongo or at least the heads played by Pakito Baeza on the video seem to be from the Aspire Series (one of the cheapest by LP) :)

EDIT: Maybe not, I can't really read the logo

They're Aspire in my eyes. The heads at least, you're right, Siete Leguas.
Last edited by Chtimulato on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtimulato

Postby scavard » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:50 pm

This is a bit off topic, but there are two more posts that are not showing. Any ideas why is that so?
scavard

Postby Juaort » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Entered my post on Saturday and it never popped up. Not sure why.
Juaort

Postby scavard » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:24 pm

I can see it when I use descending order of the posts. And also when writing a reply, there are all the posts underneath the text input. Very strange :D
scavard

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 am

Juaort wrote:Entered my post on Saturday and it never popped up. Not sure why.

There are some bugs sometimes on the page, I don't know why. Juaort, I don't see your answer either.

scavard wrote:I can see it when I use descending order of the posts. And also when writing a reply, there are all the posts underneath the text input. Very strange :D

This is usual. When you answer, all the former answers are below.
Chtimulato

Postby scavard » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:01 pm

I managed to order the skyndeep replacement head for macho from a local vendor. Thomann later also responded that they can do a custom order. FYI the price is the same as nuskyn or fiberskyn - around 74euro.

It should be delivered next week so I will leave my impressions after.
scavard

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:03 pm

scavard wrote:I managed to order the skyndeep replacement head for macho from a local vendor. Thomann later also responded that they can do a custom order. FYI the price is the same as nuskyn or fiberskyn - around 74euro.

It should be delivered next week so I will leave my impressions after.

I find it expensive. But I never bought synthetic skins.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Which version Skyndeep head did you order, tucked or untucked?
jorge

Postby scavard » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:51 pm

jorge wrote:Which version Skyndeep head did you order, tucked or untucked?

It should be the tucked one. Untucked was easier to get in my location for some reason. That's why I had to contact some vendors.
scavard

Postby jorge » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:22 am

Great, let us know how you like the sound. I like the sound better than the original Matador skin and also find it a easier to get the same sound consistently every time I hit it. Also, installation on the Matador rim and shell is tighter than with the untucked version or the original skin. It did fit on mine, with a little patience and thought. Don't force anything. Once it is mounted, I think it will be a lot more durable than the untucked version. I didn't like the construction or the sound of the untucked version so I replaced it with the tucked head. I kept the untucked head as a spare but it seems unlikely I will ever need it. I still have not gotten completely used to the plasticky feel of Remo heads, I prefer real skin, but can live with the trade-off for much better durability of the bongo macho.
I like tuning the bongo to the same pitches Oreste Vilato uses on Patato's tune "San Francisco Tiene su Propio Son". One of the best bongo solos I ever heard, Vilato is a true master bongocero and gets such a beautiful sound out of his bongo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnsxhZUT4gg

But play around with it and see what you like for the music you play.
jorge

Postby scavard » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:00 pm

I decided to record the differences for others to see and hear. I put together this very short clip of my martillo with a simple variation. Note that this is my first video ever, I have little experience with recording and also my technique might be a problem, but it is what it is.

https://vimeo.com/587971600

Please, feel free to comment on playing, tuning, the recording itself and what could demonstrate the heads better. If I will be able to make the changes, I will record a proper video and then another one with the new head.

FYI, I used a Fujifilm camera, Steinberg microphone, UR-22 audio interface and Reaper DAW. There is no EQ or effects.
scavard

Postby Siete Leguas » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Hey scavard, that's a legit martillo to my ears. Your timing sounds pretty good to me and I really like your "click" sound. You can have fun playing along lots of music with that for sure.

I am no teacher nor a very experienced bongosero in this forum, but I would advise you to work on the consistency of all strokes, so that every note of the martillo (or variations) sounds the same every time, at least ideally. But the best way is always to have a teacher to give you orientation. I'm not sure, but there are probably good teachers in the Czech Rep. Are you learning with a teacher?

Regarding tuning, you can go way higher on the macho, don't be afraid like I was at first. It is of course a matter of taste/preference, but if you want to play most "Latin" music, I'd say you can go up a few full turns (stepwise though). Compare it to the sound on the track that Jorge posted "San Francisco tiene su son" and you'll see. Sometimes it is tuned even higher, like some salsa or bachata. And don't forget to detune about 1/2 - 1 turn after playing (I'm talking about the natural skin, don't know about the Remos).

I am looking forward to your report/new video about the Skyndeep. Did you receive it yet? I managed to get hold of a thin horse skin that I want to put on a macho some time soon, I'll drop a line here as well.

Salud!
SL
Siete Leguas

Postby scavard » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Thank you for your kind words Siete Leguas! I will definitely work on the consistency. Unfortunately, I don't have any teacher for bongo or congas for that matter. I tried looking for one but it seems there is none. Maybe some online lessons with someone abroad will do for now. Any suggestions? 8)

The Skyndeep still hasn't arrived so I have to wait a bit more. I will play around with the tuning in the meantime. Anyway, congratulations on the horse skin. Please, do let us know about the results :)
scavard

PreviousNext

Return to Bongo