JCR Bongo Shells Maker?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

JCR Bongo Shells Maker?

Postby Juaort » Sun May 23, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope you fellas are staying safe and healthy. I was just wondering if anyone knows who fabricated the wood shells for Cali? And what type of wood was used? I picked up a set last week and was just wondering. I’ve heard a wood worker in the Dominican Republic? But not sure if that’s accurate.

Any info you can share would be much appreciated. I’ll add pictures soon, right not it’s not allowing me to. Not sure why.

Best regards,

Juaort
Juaort

Re: JCR Bongo Shells Maker?

Postby Chtimulato » Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am

Hello everybody.

Yes, Cali from JCR had several different sources for the wood. Cali was more a welder than a wood worker. I know it because I had the opportunity (and the luck) to have some chats with two persons who worked with Cali. One in his workshop, and one who was his sale rep.
He bought his wood, amongst others, in the Dominican Republic, from an artesan brand called Caribbean Rhythms, if I remember well, till this brand had to shut down. At the time, caoba (mahogany) was already a protected species, so it was impossible to import the lumber/timber (don't know the right word, sorry) in the USA. But it was possible to have some lumber turned on the spot and to import it then.
His rep also told me (not only to me, it was on a forum, but we had a few chats via Messenger) he travelled a lot to source some wood for Cali, for instance in Vietnam, where he hired a woodworker to build some bongó shells out of jackwood. According to him, it's a wood species with the same characteristics as mahogany : colour(s) and density. So he brought some shells from Vietnam.
And I believe some other shells were imported from South America too.

That's all I know, but it can help a little.

I'm looking forward to see your pictures. :)

Stay safe, everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am

Hello everybody.

Yes, Cali from JCR had several different sources for the wood. Cali was more a welder than a wood worker. I know it because I had the opportunity (and the luck) to have some chats with two persons who worked with Cali. One in his workshop, and one who was his sale rep.
He bought his wood, amongst others, in the Dominican Republic, from an artesan brand called Caribbean Rhythms, if I remember well, till this brand had to shut down. At the time, caoba (mahogany) was already a protected species, so it was impossible to import the lumber/timber (don't know the right word, sorry) in the USA. But it was possible to have some lumber turned on the spot and to import it then.
His rep also told me (not only to me, it was on a forum, but we had a few chats via Messenger) he travelled a lot to source some wood for Cali, for instance in Vietnam, where he hired a woodworker to build some bongó shells out of jackwood. According to him, it's a wood species with the same characteristics as mahogany : colour(s) and density. So he brought some shells from Vietnam.
And I believe some other shells were imported from South America too.

That's all I know, but it can help a little.

I'm looking forward to see your pictures. :)

Stay safe, everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Here’s a couple of pics of the JCR Bongo.

Juaort
Attachments
DA7C2EBD-A846-4A5A-93B2-9E8150E32F65.jpeg
JCR Bongo
DA7C2EBD-A846-4A5A-93B2-9E8150E32F65.jpeg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
07B7B596-202F-4EE7-94D8-ACB1B975162A.jpeg
JCR Bongo
07B7B596-202F-4EE7-94D8-ACB1B975162A.jpeg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Mon May 24, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks for the info Chtimulato! Much appreciated. Kind of along the lines of what I’ve heard, so thanks for reiterating.
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 am

Nice find, Juaort.

From what I see, it should be caoba (mahogany), but I don't know if Cali ever used other wood species for his bongó.
Yours, like mine, got a flesh hoop welded on each crown. I believe it's a kind of reinforcement, but I'm not sure.
His former rep also told me Cali did that because he used what he had at hand at the time.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Tue May 25, 2021 3:28 pm

Reinforcement makes sense. Maybe another reason for the flesh hoop welded on top of the rim is to provide a more rounded surface so when you hit your hand on the rim it does less damage to your hand than the square edged rim would do.
jorge

Postby Juaort » Tue May 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Thanks Jorge. I was told by a friend that frequented Calis shop that that was his version of a comfort rim. So you are correct on your assessment of it. I visited Calis shop a couple of times, but I only saw cowbells and a few timbales. Was not aware that he made a few congas and bongos.
Juaort

Postby Siete Leguas » Wed May 26, 2021 5:21 am

Beautiful set, Juaort!
Siete Leguas

Postby Chtimulato » Wed May 26, 2021 10:16 am

Guys, I just[ noticed this stupid statement of mine :

I don't know if Cali ever used other wood species for his bongó

whereas I told above that he used some jackwood at a time, and maybe other species too... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody's perfect. :)
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks Siete Leguas!! Yea it’s pretty sweet. I’ll probably change the skins out to more of my liking later. Buu it t definitely glad I came across it.

Chtimulato....LOL, you’re good. We’re not perfect indeed. But that’s what makes us interesting I guess.
Juaort

Return to Bongo