Remo Nuskyn vs Fiberskyn heads

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Remo Nuskyn vs Fiberskyn heads

Postby Mark Brodie » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:27 am

Has anyone here had experience with these two bongo skins?

I currently have a pair of Matadors with Nuskyns on them which I like fairly well. I just saw a macho Fiberskyn head advertised on Craigslist for $40, and was wondering if they’re superior in any way to the Nuskyn.

I don’t want to shell out any money if there’s essentially little or no difference.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Brodie

Re: Remo Nuskyn vs Fiberskyn heads

Postby Mark Brodie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:29 pm

C’mon guys, all I’m asking for is two cents! :)
Mark Brodie

Postby Siete Leguas » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Hi Mark, a friend of mine has a Matador bongó with Fiberskyn 3 on both drums. I have played it a couple of times and it sounds very nice to me, although I do prefer the feel of natural skins. That's all I can say, I have no experience with other synthetic heads, so no idea how they compare to Nuskyn, Skyndeep or the rest. There goes my 1 cent :). Sorry I can't provide any further help.
Siete Leguas

Postby Juaort » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:30 am

Hi Mark. I like the Fiberskin myself. I’ve seen some of the pros use them and they sound pretty sweet. Not 100% on the Nuskyns. I ordered a set of the low collar ones. Those keep the rims a little higher on the shells. I prefer that look.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:35 am

Skyndeeps seem to be a great choice as well, like Siete Leguas, I also prefer the real deal. Real skins are the way to go for me.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby Mark Brodie » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:27 am

Cheers guys, appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

I may pick up this skin. For only $40, it’s a good deal and it’d be good to have an extra macho head around.

Mark
Mark Brodie

Postby Siete Leguas » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Yes, that sounds like a good deal, if it's in good condition. I've been told that the upper layer of Fiberskyn tends to peel off over time, so watch out for that. If you buy it, I'd be interested to know your impressions and which one you prefer.

I also found this: https://support.remo.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-Skyndeep
Siete Leguas

Postby Mark Brodie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks for posting this. The problem I have with Remo’s descriptions of their different skins is that they use all this vague terminology like “lively overtones”, and “enhanced low and mid-range frequencies” which is meaningless to me. I think the only way to know the differences is to try them out myself.
Mark Brodie

Postby Siete Leguas » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 pm

Yeah, describing sound with words can be absurd sometimes. In any case, here are two videos from Remo comparing their different heads on congas, although I don't find them really helpful either. I too think trying them out oneself is the only way to go.
https://remo.com/experience/post/how-to-film-sound/

BTW, did you buy the macho Fiberskyn?
Siete Leguas

Return to Bongo