My latest percussion acquisition

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

My latest percussion acquisition

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 am

The LP sambago bells.
In fact they are called "bells" but sound rather like blocks. They are the block equivalent of the bright-sounding, and high pitch metal LP agogo bells (which I also have).

And like the classical metal agogo bells, the sambago bells are tuned about a minor third apart. I play them handheld (even though they have a mounting assembly) and strike them with a normal wooden drumstick held mid length.

The timbre of these sambago bells is a pleasant cross between blocks and clave sticks, and they sound really great !

Beatnik07

Re: My latest percussion acquisition

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 am

Yo Beatnik07! These are pretty sweet. How you plan to use these?
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am

Hello everybody.

I've bought the same set, but couldn't use in my band so far, since I bought it just before the first lockdown... I like the sound though.

Stay safe, everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:53 am

Juaort wrote:Yo Beatnik07! These are pretty sweet. How you plan to use these?

Hi, Juaort !

For example I experiment playing the Clave pattern with these: the "2 part" with one bell, the "3 part" with the other. But I also alternate the bells within these parts. As compared to classic "monophonic" claves, they provide tonal variety.

It works quite well because they have a very short release time/resonance, more like wooden claves or blocks than "bells" (I should mention that these sambago bells are a bit less loud and cutting than claves sticks, especially the glass fiber claves). The mount makes a quite comfortable and convenient handle. Of course I play also other rhythms with them.
These sambago are just nice, compact (they are not very big), and to my ears sound good.
:)
Last edited by Beatnik07 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:54 am

Chtimulato wrote:Hello everybody.

I've bought the same set, but couldn't use in my band so far, since I bought it just before the first lockdown... I like the sound though.

Stay safe, everybody.

Thanks Chtimulato, you too !
Beatnik07

Return to Bongo