Remo drumheads: tucked vs not tucked

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Remo drumheads: tucked vs not tucked

Postby Beatnik07 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 am

I noticed that Remo offers two major types of head configurations: one has a tucked-in structure (T series) just like the natural skins that came in with my bongos, the other has a metal collar at the base (R series). Looks almost like an upside down pie baking dish:
What are the uses and differences between these two different configurations ?
-- are they designed for specific bongos drums or specific rims ?
-- do they have specific sonic/musical properties ?
-- do they have specific mechanical/durability properties ?

I know this is very vague, but what kind of configuration would you consider as most desirable ?
Last edited by Beatnik07 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beatnik07

Re: Remo drumheads: tucked vs not tucked

Postby Juaort » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi beatnik07. I’ve never used the Remo heads on either bongo or conga. It’s something that I’m looking to explore. I actually just placed an order for a set of Remo bongo Heads to try them out. I got the R-Series Low Collar version. Unfortunately due to COVID Remo is backed up and I won’t get my heads for at least two more months and I placed the order in June. But they’re coming I was assured.

I believe the Tucked are just designed to look like real raw hide heads. There might be people out there like he that are old school and prefer that look. But, again I’m looking to experiment my self. I posted something here a while back asking for advice on differences between the different models Remo offers. I received a bunch of great feedback from the forum members. So we’ll see once I get them.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Juaort wrote:Hi beatnik07. I’ve never used the Remo heads on either bongo or conga. It’s something that I’m looking to explore. I actually just placed an order for a set of Remo bongo Heads to try them out. I got the R-Series Low Collar version. Unfortunately due to COVID Remo is backed up and I won’t get my heads for at least two more months and I placed the order in June. But they’re coming I was assured.

I believe the Tucked are just designed to look like real raw hide heads. There might be people out there like he that are old school and prefer that look. But, again I’m looking to experiment my self. I posted something here a while back asking for advice on differences between the different models Remo offers. I received a bunch of great feedback from the forum members. So we’ll see once I get them.

Juaort

Hello Juaort,
Good for you getting these Remos ! I imagine changing bongos heads is like getting new bongos.
Are you getting the Fiberskyn ones ?
Though they are not cheap. Here in Europe the pair Macho-Hembra will go for about 75€ each.
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:27 pm

Lol, yea changing skins is pretty fun for me. I really enjoy it as much as playing. I ordered the Skyndeep Low Collar R-Series 7 1/4” and 8 1/2”. Not cheap at all, $39 for the macho and $43 for the Hembra. Plus another $11 for shipping. $93 total. From researching the heads in the REMO website, I also noticed that the R-Series covers most of the popular sizes like 6 1/4”, 7 1/4”, 8 1/2” etc. Each series is designed to cover specific sizes. I’m looking forward to playing them and having done fun. I’ve noticed that some of the top congueros and bongoceros have been using them and sound amazing.
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Here’s the actual order. It looks like the low collar is special order. I chose these just because I don’t like my skins to look stretched out for esthetic reasons.
Attachments
F3B5432A-A42B-47DC-B843-5C120951F140.png
Juaort

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 am

My 2 little cents:
I think you scored those REMO synthetic skins at a very decent price! Hopefully you will be happy with them.
I mounted a REMO Skyndeep Macho 'skin' M9-0715-S4-SD003 on my old Schalloch bongó a while ago and although it was a bit of a hassle the result has been astounding: terrific, natural high-pitch sound with a nice feeling to my hands! That synthetic skin cost me some dear money, but was totally worth it.
P.S. Here is the link with pics viewtopic.php?p=82847#p82847
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby cloudedb@aol.com » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Any suggestions on the best Remo macho head? Fiberskin?Newskin? Somethin else? Thanks!
"Salsa is the same bird with two wings - Cuba y Puerto Rico".
cloudedb@aol.com

Postby Psych1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:31 pm

I like tucked skyndeep as backup in case if need to replace. Still use goat on macho cow on embra.
Psych1

Postby Beatnik07 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:02 am

I made inquiries to Remo concerning the differences between tucked heads and non-tucked heads (ie R series). This was the response of a Remo tech support person:

"R-series were initially designed specifically for non-Remo (bongos) models with contoured rims.
Tucked heads are designed for Remo (bongos) models but do work with others-especially with Traditional rims.

Tucked has the highest durability on the market, and a bit more rigid feel-but the fit can be difficult at times, and may require quite a bit of finagling to get in the hoop.

Basically, both are an option for your model, though we do suggest the R-series. It's up to you if you'd like ease in fitting/tuning up with R-series, or if you don't mind potentially working to get the Tucked heads in for higher durability."
Beatnik07

Return to Bongo