Les Baxter bustin' the bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Les Baxter bustin' the bongos

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am

Beatnik07

Re: Les Baxter bustin' the bongos

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:44 pm

Bonjour Beatnik,

I haven't commented your posts anymore, because I did not want to disturb you or influence you in a negative way. Possibly we are not only in different positions on "the" road, but walking completely different roads altogether. Which is perfectly OK with me.

However, I find it remarkable that finally somebody mentions the name of Les Baxter on this forum. While I did never acquire the "Skins" record, and had to turn off the track you posted after less than a minute, I am not only impressed by the musical skills of this man, but have bought his "Ritual of the Savage", "Tamboo", "Ports of Pleasure", "The Sacred Idol" and "Jewels of the Sea". For a time I was really fanatic about his music, almost like when I was 15 with my pop idols. Because, even though I listen to everything from European classical music to modern jazz and Afro-Cuban music, I do have a soft spot for well fabricated "light" or "easy listening" music like Leroy Anderson, Burt Bacharach and - Les Baxter. Although Les Baxter isn't really easy; his orchestrations are heavy, demandingly complex, and probably a challenge to play.

Les Baxter was a singer, saxophone player, and a fantastic arranger/composer. He was mostly active as a composer for film music, but is also regarded as the founding father of 1950's Exotica music in the USA. He was the arranger for Yma Sumac. It must have been a time when the square, civilized middle-class Westerner discovered the attraction of dark, cruel and potentially dangerous sensuality of peoples he/she regarded as savage, as a psychological counterbalance to his/her boring welfare. This image was also reflected in movies, like "Affair in Havana". Many well-respected musicians, from George Shearing or Stan Kenton to Tito Puente, catered to this public demand. Even the Cotton Club show of Duke Ellington served the same need.

I admit that Les Baxter was eclectic, kitschy, commercial, pretentious and everything you want. But if you take away the song titles and disregard the record covers, what remains is superbly crafted, entertaining and often surprising music. Not accidentally, I might cite the slogan of a world-wide fast food chain: "I'm lovin' it."

Les Baxter had the cream of Westcoast studio musicians working for him, and he used percussionists like Chico Guerrero, Larry Bunker and Carlos Vidal. And, not to forget, he was one of the first to incorporate electronic sound generators like the theremin and the novachord or ondioline in his orchestrations.

For those of you who are into Cuban music but have never heard of Les Baxter, check out his CD "Ritual of the Savage / Tamboo" first. Skip the embarrassing "The Ritual". I think the rest is beautiful, partly even great music.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Les Baxter bustin' the bongos

Postby Beatnik07 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Bonjour Beatnik,
I haven't commented your posts anymore, because I did not want to disturb you or influence you in a negative way. Possibly we are not only in different positions on "the" road, but walking completely different roads altogether. Which is perfectly OK with me.

No worry, Thomas, you have not "disturbed me or influenced me in a negative way". The only divergence I can see we have had is concerning teachers: you tend to be suspicious about internet instruction videos, while I feel that in Paris, with a limited appreciation and knowledge here for latin music, there is a scarcity of qualified bongos teachers, and those rare ones who would be qualified would be outside my budget, so that for better or worse, I must for now do with videos.
This being said, I would definitely appreciate and be grateful for any feedback, suggest, or comment from you, about the different things I have posted.

Thomas Altmann wrote: I find it remarkable that finally somebody mentions the name of Les Baxter on this forum. While I did never acquire the "Skins" record, and had to turn off the track you posted after less than a minute

Of course being still a beginner, I cannot yet judge properly these matters, but I would encourage you to give the track a listen beyond one minute, particularly beyond 2:40.... To me, it seems to display at least a fine technical competence.

Thomas Altmann wrote:For those of you who are into Cuban music but have never heard of Les Baxter, check out his CD "Ritual of the Savage / Tamboo" first. Skip the embarrassing "The Ritual". I think the rest is beautiful, partly even great music.
Thomas

Thanks, I will check this album.

Let me then post this well known piece by Les Baxter, even though most people might not know it's from him:

Beatnik07

Return to Bongo