A Couple of Bongo Projects to Help Pass the Time!

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

A Couple of Bongo Projects to Help Pass the Time!

Postby Juaort » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Bongoceros! I hope everyone is well and staying healthy during this crazy time. I was able to snag a couple of Gon Bops Bongos recently that need some work. As we’re all looking to keep our loved bed safe, projects like these will help you stay busy and safe. These are Gon Bops “International Series” and Gon Bops “Concert Series” Bingos. I believe these are Mahogany. They’ll definitely give me something to keep my mind occupied, unless the wife calls an audible and changes the play last minute. We shall see.
Attachments
93061CD0-9943-438A-B2A3-639859D26793.jpeg
Gon Bops International Series
3F2709DA-AC78-48E9-92DA-4A9D58C544DF.jpeg
C4010308-1D7F-42F3-A3D4-486AA0742325.jpeg
F6677121-46EF-4110-880C-25B5F655EF59.jpeg
Gon Bops Concert Series
A1D4F6FD-B126-4EFF-AE1F-8E911390B797.jpeg
Juaort

Re: A Couple of Bongo Projects to Help Pass the Time!

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 am

That's a fine way !
Beatnik07

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Nice find, and nice work in perspective. The more you work on an instrument - or an old car, or a piece of furniture - and the more you can say it is yours. And you'll have the pride to say "I did it myself".
Have fun.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:21 pm

Well said. The first set only has a couple of splits. East fix. The second set is a huge mess! Don’t think the shells are salvageable, we’ll see. The hardware is in great shape, so I may have some shells made for them instead. It’s been raining here in NYC, so it’s been challenging to start.
Juaort

Postby jorge » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:27 pm

Nice projects and good timing. Refinishing, filing bearing edges and other repairs can be done at your leisure, but I suggest gluing the cracks in the shells as soon as possible. In NYC wood generally is as dried out as it gets during the winter, and the shells have shrunk a bit. By mid-spring the wood absorbs some water from the air and expands again. Over the past 48 years I have glued a lot of congas and some bongos in NYC/NJ and I find that gluing the shells when they are shrunken in the winter leads to less re-cracking over the next few years. Gluing them while they are expanded in the summer or fall more often leads to re-cracking when the shells shrink in the winter. Mahogany like Gon Bops or cherry like SOS is a bit softer and more forgiving than harder woods like oak or ash, but even so, try to get to it soon. I have a few cracked shells I have been trying to get to but family health issues and now the Covid-19 epidemic have taken all my spare time and more this year. If I can't get to them by mid-april, I may have to wait until next winter. Enjoy, take pride in your craftsmanship, and keep washing your hands and staying isolated, this epidemic is really serious in NYC right now.
jorge

Postby Juaort » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks Jorge for the info. I’ll definitely will use your advice. And yes, I married to a current employee of the NYC Dept of Health so constantly washing my hands is a must! I lost my finger prints I’ve washed my hands so much. You stay healthy and safe as well.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

jorge wrote:Nice projects and good timing. Refinishing, filing bearing edges and other repairs can be done at your leisure, but I suggest gluing the cracks in the shells as soon as possible. In NYC wood generally is as dried out as it gets during the winter, and the shells have shrunk a bit. By mid-spring the wood absorbs some water from the air and expands again. Over the past 48 years I have glued a lot of congas and some bongos in NYC/NJ and I find that gluing the shells when they are shrunken in the winter leads to less re-cracking over the next few years. Gluing them while they are expanded in the summer or fall more often leads to re-cracking when the shells shrink in the winter. Mahogany like Gon Bops or cherry like SOS is a bit softer and more forgiving than harder woods like oak or ash, but even so, try to get to it soon. I have a few cracked shells I have been trying to get to but family health issues and now the Covid-19 epidemic have taken all my spare time and more this year. If I can't get to them by mid-april, I may have to wait until next winter. Enjoy, take pride in your craftsmanship, and keep washing your hands and staying isolated, this epidemic is really serious in NYC right now.

Interesting, I wonder what type of shell is usually less prone to cracking: solid one piece shell, or staves, or multi ply wood ?
Beatnik07

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:49 pm

I'd say multi ply wood, but there again, it can depend on your climate zone : I know a guy in Arizona who owns a set of Giovannis (3 plys, so it should be sturdy) and they cracked...
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Climate has everything to do with it. Now how fast do you start to see damage is up to a few things....how much use, playing inside or outdoors, season, staves, solid or 3ply etc. I’ve yet to encounter any issues with my bongos or congas. I will say this, skins do need extra tuning during the summer when it’s humid here in NYC. That when Mr Remo comes in to save the day.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks Chtimulato and Juaort !
Beatnik07

Postby carlito » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 am

jorge wrote:Nice projects and good timing. Refinishing, filing bearing edges and other repairs can be done at your leisure, but I suggest gluing the cracks in the shells as soon as possible. In NYC wood generally is as dried out as it gets during the winter, and the shells have shrunk a bit. By mid-spring the wood absorbs some water from the air and expands again. Over the past 48 years I have glued a lot of congas and some bongos in NYC/NJ and I find that gluing the shells when they are shrunken in the winter leads to less re-cracking over the next few years. Gluing them while they are expanded in the summer or fall more often leads to re-cracking when the shells shrink in the winter. Mahogany like Gon Bops or cherry like SOS is a bit softer and more forgiving than harder woods like oak or ash, but even so, try to get to it soon. I have a few cracked shells I have been trying to get to but family health issues and now the Covid-19 epidemic have taken all my spare time and more this year. If I can't get to them by mid-april, I may have to wait until next winter. Enjoy, take pride in your craftsmanship, and keep washing your hands and staying isolated, this epidemic is really serious in NYC right now.

Hello jorge,

could you please explain how you glue cracked shells, what you do for work and what tools and materials you use for it?

Thanks, carlito
carlito

Postby Juaort » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:12 am

Bongoceros. I started on these LP Fiberglass Bongos (1988) I had laying around for a while. White Shells with Chrome Hardware. I saw someone on YouTube do a Metal Flake (Glitter) paint job on a guitar and decided to try it. I’m pretty happy with the results thus far. I still have to wet sand the clear to event it out a bit and then buff them. What do you guys think?

Steps:
1. Sanded the shells with 120 grit sand paper. Just to remove the top clear coat. I left the white paint on the shells.
2. Sprayed 2 coats of Rustoleum Grey Primer. Left to dry about 15-20mins between coats. Depends on conditions, in doors or out doors.
3. Sprayed 2 coats of Rustoleum Metalic Silver. Left to dry about 15-20mins between coats. Depends on conditions, in doors or out doors.
4. Sprayed 4 coats of Rustoleum Silver Glitter. Left to dry about 15-20mins between coats. Depends on conditions. In doors or out doors.
5. Sprayed 1 1/2 cans of Rustoleum Triple Thick High Gloss Clear. Left to dry about 20mins between coats. Depends on conditions. In doors or out doors.
6. Wet sand with 1000 or 1500 grit sand paper.
7. Buff with a micro fiber cloth and car polish for a crystal clear finish.

You can always improve on these steps.
Attachments
1C20B41C-F28C-47C7-9FCB-53DBFA2A5382.jpeg
7C0CD4C6-DEB9-4E27-A14F-CBBF37A72697.jpeg
E740367B-20B8-43CF-9615-E313A6408CCC.jpeg
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Almost complete! Just need to finish the center block piece. Between the Family, Work and the Virus these took a little longer to complete (2 1/2 weeks), but they came out great. My goal is to do this on a set of Congas. I learned a lot from going through this process. I’m glad I took it on.
Attachments
D6948AAF-3AE1-424E-8E66-4F35834FBF7E.jpeg
LP Fiberglass Bongos 1988
B0B61DC0-5786-4839-B6AA-6070DC9747AA.jpeg
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am

Nice work, compadre ! :)
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:23 am

Thank you Chtimulato! I’ve seen your work, so it means a ton coming from you. The center block needs to be touched up, but once it’s all complete and put together I’ll post a pic.
Juaort

Return to Bongo