Sad thing just happened: my bongos developed cracks

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Sad thing just happened: my bongos developed cracks

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Hello.

Apart from the "classic" brands everyone knows, there's this new brand in Hungary :

http://mananapercussion.com/?fbclid=IwAR1hmilUSy11_6KhI8zrM5lw6SIFr-aRfAfADZb-uMhanPP3IKunguuTqUw

From what I read, the few people who bought them are quite happy with them.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:13 pm

Hello.

Apart from the "classic" brands everyone knows, there's this new brand in Hungary :

http://mananapercussion.com/?fbclid=IwAR1hmilUSy11_6KhI8zrM5lw6SIFr-aRfAfADZb-uMhanPP3IKunguuTqUw

Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm

Hello.

Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:39 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Hello.

Wow, they're looking good!

Happy New Year, by the way ... as happy as possible -

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Juaort » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:09 am

Hi Everyone. Scavard, I chose to pick up the Gen3 with the 9” Hembra just cause I wanted a deeper bass sound than what the 8 5/8” Hembra on most LPs or ever most other beans come with. So it all depends on what sound you’re looking for. LP also has the 1964 Replica Bongos that are 6 3/4” X 8 1/4” which are smaller and lighter than the LP and Matadors. I also have a set and with changing the stock skins they now sound amazing.
Attachments
image.jpg
LP 1964 Replica Bongo
image.jpg
LP 1964 Replica Bongo
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:20 am

The MANANA Bongos are pretty sweet. Everyone seems to be very happy with the craftsmanship and sound. I spoke with Mate in December and I’m looking to place an order. He has a great system to collecting the money for the set. 25% first payment, 25% second payment and 50% once the drum is complete and ready to ship. Shipping is not included. He’ll also share pictures of the process from start to finish which I think it’s cool. Price on a set depend on wood type. Size you can chose depending on your preference. It’s part of the price. He communicates very well, not like others that won’t return calls or give you an update even after a year or more of placing an order.
Juaort

Postby scavard » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:40 am

Thank you for the info Juaort.

Would you be able to compare the weight of Gen II, Gen III and some Matadors if you happen to have it all, please? Maybe I can live with the larger hembra if Gen III is not that heavy. It is indeed a bit cheaper and more in stock than the 1964 Bongos. Unfortunately, I have no way of trying it out in person anywhere.
scavard

Postby Juaort » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi Scavard. I currently don’t have a Matador Bongo, but I’ve had a couple in the past. Both Gen2 and Matadors have the same basic dimensions. Both with traditional rims weight basically the same. It might be just a smidge more with comfort rims. The Gen3 is slightly heavier due to the dimensions on the Hembra shell/Rim going from 8 5/8” on Gen2 to 9” on the Gen3. It comes down to the Hembra sound basically.
Juaort

Postby scavard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Thank you Juaort. I also checked Amazon because they provide the weight information and it is not that different than the matadors they have listed. At the moment I am starting to be inclined to getting Gen III :)
scavard

Postby scavard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Thank you Juaort. I also checked Amazon because they provide the weight information and it is not that different than the matadors they have listed. At the moment I am starting to be inclined to getting Gen III :)
scavard

Postby scavard » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:58 pm

I just noticed that LP also makes Valje and Valje heritage models. Anyone with some experience with these bongos? I like the looks of it and as I previously stated, I would like to try different sizes and it seems that Valje is 7" and 8.5". Could you compare these models to the Gen III for example? Thank you for any input
scavard

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:27 pm

I've got the first generation of Valje LP, bought in 1988, and am quite happy with them. It's the first professional instrument I bought new.
Attachments
20181028_183305.jpg
Last edited by Chtimulato on Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:33 pm

To tell you the whole story, LP bought the Valje brand after the workshop burnt down (in 1987 I believe).
They made hevea models (like mine, 1st generation), and then cherry (very sought after by connoisseurs) and beech, and then mahogany and oak, when Akbar Moghadam, former Valje worker, joined LP.

Inbetween, Ralph Flores, son of the Valje founder Tom FLores, could get the brand back :

https://valjedrums.com/History.php

He also runs this brand :

http://www.resolutiondrums.com/

And Akbar Moghadam is also the founder of this brand :

https://www.solpercussion.com/

He built the last LP Valje bongoes (mahogany and oak), which have the same shape as Sols, but are no longer made. The only reference to Valje at LP's is now the "Dandy" model (Valje shape with a bigger hembra).
Last edited by Chtimulato on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtimulato

Postby scavard » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm

Thank you for the extensive info Chtimulato, it's very interesting and I didn't know any of that.

I guess that the quality is different when it's from another shop, but it's the same with everything today right?
scavard

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:23 pm

scavard wrote:I guess that the quality is different when it's from another shop, but it's the same with everything today right?

Well... yes and no. It all depends on the wood species (mahogany, oak, ash, walnut, hevea etc.), the quality of the skin, and of course the talent of the player.

Some swear only by mahogany, some prefer oak, some want only mule, some prefer bleached cow, etc., :) and a talented player can make his grandma's bucket sound good...

Chtimulato

PreviousNext

Return to Bongo