Sad thing just happened: my bongos developed cracks

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Sad thing just happened: my bongos developed cracks

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:57 pm

After 4 months my new LP Dandy Rodriguez bongos developed two deep hairline cracks on the wood inner surface of the Macho: one crack is about 3" long, the other about 1". And this despite taking great care of them. The bongos fortunately are still under warranty. I am going to return them to the dealer. I really liked them, and I liked also a lot the 9 " size of the Hembra. But I wonder: is it a freak event or is it the wood that's maybe insufficiently seasoned or with quality issues that's bound to occur again ?

After they receive my bongos back, I must decide whether to request them to send me a replacement of the same LP Dandy bongos, or instead to send me the Meinl WB500ZFA-M Woodcraft. The Meinl has also a 9" Hembra, but a bit smaller Macho (7" instead of 7 1/4"). The prices are about the same.

My question:
Would you recommend getting the same LP Dandy bongos or instead the Meinl WB500ZFA-M Woodcraft ?

Beatnik07

Re: Sad thing just happened: my bongos developed cracks

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello.
From what I know, both sets should be in the same quality range, and the "Dandy" model is said to be good. The only negative comment I read about it is from a professional player (also forum member here) who doesn't like its bearing edge (matter of taste). So you must have been unlucky. Could you please post a pic of the cracks ?
The "Dandy" model is made out of beech, and the Meinl one ist out of ash - ash has a very good sound projection, for me at any case.
You've got to find out if the Meinl is made with solid staves, or, on the current trend, with plywood. And then, 3 plies is better than 2.
Sorry if I can't help further.
Good luck.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Hello.
From what I know, both sets should be in the same quality range, and the "Dandy" model is said to be good. The only negative comment I read about it is from a professional player (also forum member here) who doesn't like its bearing edge (matter of taste). So you must have been unlucky. Could you please post a pic of the cracks ?
The "Dandy" model is made out of beech, and the Meinl one ist out of ash - ash has a very good sound projection, for me at any case.
You've got to find out if the Meinl is made with solid staves, or, on the current trend, with plywood. And then, 3 plies is better than 2.
Good luck.

Thanks Chtimulato ! I am quite disappointed because the LP Dandy bongos are supposed to be upper quality instruments and I was making progress with them. But like you said it could just be an instance of bad luck. Anyway, I can't post the shots of the cracks because the Congaplace forum (as far as I can tell) doesn't have picture uploading.

From the photograph of the Meinl bongos above, the wood grain seems to have symmetrical zones which might indicate that they are built on staves. Staves are better than plywood ?

And then there the bridge between the Macho and the Hembra: in the LP bongos it is a wooden bridge, and the Meinl instead has what it calls "free ride" which is a metallic linkage on the bottom of the drums: does the "free ride" set up holds over time ? Is it better or stronger than the classic wooden bridge ?

Questions, questions .... :)

Edit: upon closer inspection the LP Dandy bongos seem to be made of one piece wood cylinders (I can tell though if it is laminated wood or not), but the edge apparently doesn't show staves. Could it be that one piece drum bodies are more fragile that stave construction ?
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi Beatnik07. I’ve had both. Recently sold my Meinl Woodcraft cause I didnt like how the felt when sitting down and playing traditional. The sound is good on them. I also sold the LP Dandy’s due to the fact that I have the LP Gen3 which also has a 9” Hembra. The Gen3’s sound way better than the Dandy’s in my opinion. I also noticed that the bridge on the Dandy’s split and breaks, it’s happened to the two pairs I’ve had in the past. I don’t recall the Dandy bongo shells being solid shells. I believe they are staves. There shouldn’t be any splits on a new set like yours.

My advice, try the LP Gen3 Bongos. 7 1/4” X 9”, they come with traditional Rims as well as Cuban style bottom Rims. I put a pretty thick Cow Skin on the Hembra that I had to stand on top of the shell just to get the tuning lugs on, and not cracks or splits. I attached a couple of pics of my Gen3’s for your reference.
Attachments
133A3294-639E-4EA1-812C-21ACCD0DB476.jpeg
LP Gen3 Bongos
C259E98A-2A8B-4B4B-A34F-AA7B4BF30997.jpeg
LP Gen3 Bongos
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 pm

Beatnik07, Here’s my Meinls and Dandy’s I sold. As I mentioned before. I wasn’t happy with how the Meinls felt while playing sitting down. I liked them better on a stand. The Dandy’s bridge split on two of my sets. Not sure why, it might be the weight? Or the wood it’s made from. It could be a production issue with your set and why splits on the shells are showing up or quality control, who knows, but it shouldn't be happening this early.

Juaort
Attachments
4B6119F0-F42E-46D8-8229-69BCA6837D27.jpeg
2F2279AD-C787-4863-BDBA-BAD9C7A8E3BF.jpeg
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:01 am

Juaort wrote:Beatnik07, Here’s my Meinls and Dandy’s I sold. As I mentioned before. I wasn’t happy with how the Meinls felt while playing sitting down. I liked them better on a stand. The Dandy’s bridge split on two of my sets. Not sure why, it might be the weight? Or the wood it’s made from. It could be a production issue with your set and why splits on the shells are showing up or quality control, who knows, but it shouldn't be happening this early.

Juaort

Thanks Juaort ! I was almost set on getting the Meinl Woodcraft, instead of getting another Dandy's. But now after what you wrote, I am not so sure. I am playing seated too and without a stand. Could you explain a bit more why the "free ride" set up wasn't good for you ? Is it because the "free ride" attachment is less rigid than the wooden bridge ?
Last edited by Beatnik07 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:11 am

Chtimulato wrote:Hello. From what I know, both sets should be in the same quality range, and the "Dandy" model is said to be good. The only negative comment I read about it is from a professional player (also forum member here) who doesn't like its bearing edge (matter of taste). So you must have been unlucky. Could you please post a pic of the cracks ?
Good luck.

I finally figured how to upload a pictures. :oops:
So here it is, as I said the longer crack is about 2"-3" long, the other is about 1" long:

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:25 am

Beatnik07, I like my Bongos to feel tight when I’m sitting down. That way I don’t stress my legs out too much. The Meinl just seem a little longer than what I like. There’s a little separation between the shells that I don’t like, I like that separation between the shells to be tighter. It make for a more comfortable feel while sitting. I find the Gen3’s to be a little lighter overall in weight as well. The hardware on the Meinl is just a bit beefier than the LP Gen3.

I just purchased a third Dandy, got them for $125. I did it for the parts. I got it for a steal because the bridge is split in half Lol! 3 pairs with the same issue. Not sure if it’s the weight or the wood they’re using. It could be both.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Juaort wrote:Beatnik07, I like my Bongos to feel tight when I’m sitting down. That way I don’t stress my legs out too much. The Meinl just seem a little longer than what I like. There’s a little separation between the shells that I don’t like, I like that separation between the shells to be tighter. It make for a more comfortable feel while sitting. I find the Gen3’s to be a little lighter overall in weight as well. The hardware on the Meinl is just a bit beefier than the LP Gen3.

I just purchased a third Dandy, got them for $125. I did it for the parts. I got it for a steal because the bridge is split in half Lol! 3 pairs with the same issue. Not sure if it’s the weight or the wood they’re using. It could be both.

Juaort

Thanks Juaort ! I read somewhere that the "free ride" system could wobble a tiny bit compared to the wooden bridge. Did you observe that ?

Sorry, another question: you had both instruments, so what would you say is the difference in sound between the LP Gen III and the Meinl Woodcraft ?
Last edited by Beatnik07 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Juaort wrote:I just purchased a third Dandy, got them for $125. I did it for the parts. I got it for a steal because the bridge is split in half Lol! 3 pairs with the same issue. Not sure if it’s the weight or the wood they’re using. It could be both.
Juaort

I found the Dandy's to be really heavy. No problem to me if playing seated with the bongos between the legs, but I would certainly feel very uncomfortable using the LP stand on them, since that LP stand anchors on just the wooden bridge, so that all the stress from the drums weight and the playing is concentrated on that bridge.
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm

The skins on the Meinls are far better quality than the ones on the LP Dandy’s. Those water buffalo skins on LPs sound better on Congas than on Bongos. That’s just from my experience. Meinls use Cow Hides which have a sharper sound, nice a crisp on a thin Macho skin and deep bass on a medium thick Hembra skin. The skins make a big difference. I always change the skins on my LPs, no matter the model. On a stand they both sound good I think. Dandy’s are heavy, but I found the Meinls to just a bit heavier. As I mentioned earlier I think that’s due to the hardware. The Ash Shells seem pretty light by them selves.

Now the Gen3s with the right skin combo are just on another level. Mine have thin Deer on the Macho and medium Cow on the Hembra. They sound AMAZING!! and Yes Deer lol. I put it on there just to try something new and I liked it, so I kept it on. It’s very similar to Horse. I like the sound on those over the Meinls.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

Juaort wrote:The skins on the Meinls are far better quality than the ones on the LP Dandy’s. Those water buffalo skins on LPs sound better on Congas than on Bongos. That’s just from my experience. Meinls use Cow Hides which have a sharper sound, nice a crisp on a thin Macho skin and deep bass on a medium thick Hembra skin. The skins make a big difference. I always change the skins on my LPs, no matter the model. On a stand they both sound good I think. Dandy’s are heavy, but I found the Meinls to just a bit heavier. As I mentioned earlier I think that’s due to the hardware. The Ash Shells seem pretty light by them selves.

Now the Gen3s with the right skin combo are just on another level. Mine have thin Deer on the Macho and medium Cow on the Hembra. They sound AMAZING!! and Yes Deer lol. I put it on there just to try something new and I liked it, so I kept it on. It’s very similar to Horse. I like the sound on those over the Meinls.

Thanks Juaort.
:)
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am

Juaort wrote:Hi Beatnik07. The Gen3’s sound way better than the Dandy’s in my opinion. I also noticed that the bridge on the Dandy’s split and breaks, it’s happened to the two pairs I’ve had in the past. I don’t recall the Dandy bongo shells being solid shells. I believe they are staves. There shouldn’t be any splits on a new set like yours.

My advice, try the LP Gen3 Bongos. 7 1/4” X 9”, they come with traditional Rims as well as Cuban style bottom Rims. I put a pretty thick Cow Skin on the Hembra that I had to stand on top of the shell just to get the tuning lugs on, and not cracks or splits. I attached a couple of pics of my Gen3’s for your reference.

Hello Juaort !
Early this week, while cruising by chance the amazon site I noticed they were having a great sale on the LP Gen III, they had only two left and so I followed your advice and ordered on the spot a Gen III bongos. I received them yesterday (pretty amazing with the epidemic). I like them !! Even with the factory skins, the sound is drier, snappier with more projection than with the Dandy's. And as you said, they are a bit lighter. Also the natural wood finish is really nice.
So thanks !
:)
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Boom! Yea, I’m pretty happy with mine. I think overall having the traditional rims and Cuban style bottoms helps with the weight. The stock skins are pretty good. At some point I would consider changing those. You think you like them now, you will love them once you put custom skins. Enjoy them brotha. Stay healthy!!
Juaort

Postby scavard » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi all,

I am starting to look around for a more high-end pair of bongos next to my matadors and I stumbled upon this thread. It is indeed sad about the Dandy model, especially coming from multiple people. I was looking into Dandys, LP original bongos, Gen II and Gen III.

I know I want traditional rims but I'm still not sure about sizes. My current 7" 1/4 and 8" 5/8 bongo sometimes seem large between the legs so I'm wondering whether I could handle the 9" hembra on Gen III. Is the larger hembra the only reason you all chose Gen III over Gen II? Unfortunately, I cannot find any Gen II with traditional rims in stock in Europe at the moment. The weight is also a concern for me - my matadors weight 4.9kg at the moment and sometimes it feels really tiring. I have nothing to compare it to so maybe I just need to be told that this is fine for bongos :)

Besides LP there's the aforementioned Meinl with 7" and 8" 1/2 which may fit my needs, but I never thought I would chose it over LP.

Any thoughts about this?
scavard

Next

Return to Bongo