Nobel prize in physics and bongos player ...

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Nobel prize in physics and bongos player ...

Postby Beatnik07 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Of course, talking about Mr. Richard Feynman, the originator and developer of quantum electrodynamics, and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965.
Here is a video of him playing bongos.

Beatnik07

Re: Nobel prize in physics and bongos player ...

Postby jorge » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:21 pm

The picture of Richard Feynman playing a tackhead conga in the intro of Feynman's Lectures on Physics was one of the main factors that convinced me to switch from a music major to a physics major in college. Of course I had never heard him play or I might not have been so impressed, since he was a much better physicist than bongo/conga player. Actually he was a super-talented teacher of physics above all and helped a lot of students understand physics better. He was a complicated person who was known as a showman and a clown and much loved by many physicists, although by the surviving residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not so much.
jorge

Re: Nobel prize in physics and bongos player ...

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 pm

jorge wrote:The picture of Richard Feynman playing a tackhead conga in the intro of Feynman's Lectures on Physics was one of the main factors that convinced me to switch from a music major to a physics major in college. Of course I had never heard him play or I might not have been so impressed, since he was a much better physicist than bongo/conga player. Actually he was a super-talented teacher of physics above all and helped a lot of students understand physics better. He was a complicated person who was known as a showman and a clown and much loved by many physicists, although by the surviving residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not so much.

In the days when physicists (particularly in quantum mechanics and nuclear physics) were pretty stuck-up and culturally "formatted", he was a true maverick not afraid to be different. True enough he was a participant to the Manhattan Project, but so were required to be most of the brightest physicists at the time. Except of course for Einstein who being too much on the left was deemed a "security risk" and kept aside.
One of Feynman finest books for the lay (but thinking) person is this one, imo an unmatched little masterpiece:

Beatnik07

Return to Bongo