Care of hands while playing bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Care of hands while playing bongos

Postby Beatnik07 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:58 pm

I have traditional rims bongos (LP Dandy) with natural heads.

Here in winter the weather is often cold and dry, and the fingers skin already fragile and chaffed by the weather, tends to crack or split after playing bongos. That's not only painful but it can also bleed. Even though the look can be quaint, I'd rather avoid having blood stains on my bongos heads. :)

What type of lotion or cream can be used that's harmless to the natural skin bongo heads, to nourish and protect the hands skin during playing ?

Thanks !!
Beatnik07

Re: Care of hands while playing bongos

Postby Juaort » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 am

Hi Beatnik07. I only used tape until my hands really didn’t crack or bleed anymore and got used to the playing. I can’t remember the name, but I believe there’s a couple of creams available that you can use to help the skin on your hands heel.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Juaort wrote:Hi Beatnik07. I only used tape until my hands really didn’t crack or bleed anymore and got used to the playing. I can’t remember the name, but I believe there’s a couple of creams available that you can use to help the skin on your hands heel.

Thanks ! I found this: Eucatape for hand drummers, it contains eucalyptus oil to fight inflammation: http://www.eucatape.com/ In Europe it is not cheap: about 20€/roll.
And there is also Drummer Finger Tape by Monster Percussions: http://www.monsterpercussion.com/produc ... -midnight/ This one seems less expensive.
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Sounds good. I’ll take a look.
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:03 pm

Hello.
I used to rub my hands with vaseline for a while, but have switched now to shea butter, which is a natural product. I pick a very small piece ("une noisette") up and let it warm up a little in my hand - or let the pot warm up on the heating in winter. Once it's warmed up, I rub my hands with it. We all use different creams or products, but the main thing is that you skinb doesn't have to be to dry. Any cream for the hands should fit.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Chtimulato wrote:We all use different creams or products, but the main thing is that you skin doesn't have to be to dry. Any cream for the hands should fit.

Thanks !
I was interested in knowing if there was a type of hand cream I should avoid because it might damage or interact with the bongos natural heads.

I'll look also into shea butter.

:)
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Shea Butter is a great choice. I have oily skin, so I don’t use lotions. But the Shea Butter seems to be a pretty good choice.
Juaort

Return to Bongo