Is this tune structured on the Clave ?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Is this tune structured on the Clave ?

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 pm

It seems to me it is, but not sure ...

Beatnik07

Re: Is this tune structured on the Clave ?

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes and no, and why not ? :)

Maybe the composer didn't think "clave" while composing, but it works anyway.

You can try to check if you clap the clave along while listening to the song. Either 2/3 & 3/2. I just did it, and prefer 2/3, but maybe it's a matter of habbit, and I can be wrong. If it feels "normal", then it works. If it feels "weird", you've got the answer too... :)
You can incorporate clave in a lot of tunes/songs, where it was necessary intended by the composer. And playing bongó along with the clave "in your head" (which you should allways do anyway, even if there's no clave feel in the tune).
As an exemple, I like to play the martillo on these two tunes.
The first one is a tune my band covers, and no one in the band is disturbed with what I play, so I guess it's allright :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1J04ugcdi8

And the second one, originally a song of Patti Austin, is a tune I love and play all by myself at home, just for fun, and for warming up :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyDMYeASrY

Do your homework and find out if they have to be played in 2/3 or 3/2. (there's a clue somewhere above... :wink:)
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:09 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Yes and no, and why not ? :)

Maybe the composer didn't think "clave" while composing, but it works anyway.

You can try to check if you clap the clave along while listening to the song. Either 2/3 & 3/2. I just did it, and prefer 2/3, but maybe it's a matter of habbit, and I can be wrong. If it feels "normal", then it works. If it feels "weird", you've got the answer too... :)
You can incorporate clave in a lot of tunes/songs, where it was necessary intended by the composer. And playing bongó along with the clave "in your head" (which you should allways do anyway, even if there's no clave feel in the tune).
As an exemple, I like to play the martillo on these two tunes.
The first one is a tune my band covers, and no one in the band is disturbed with what I play, so I guess it's allright :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1J04ugcdi8

And the second one, originally a song of Patti Austin, is a tune I love and play all by myself at home, just for fun, and for warming up :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyDMYeASrY

Do your homework and find out if they have to be played in 2/3 or 3/2. (there's a clue somewhere above... :wink:)

Thanks Chtimulato for your reply ! I'll check these two tracks too.
:)
Beatnik07

Postby jorge » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:49 pm

None of those songs are built around clave like Cuban timba or salsa songs are. Clave is not the essence of the rhythm in any of those 3 songs, as it is in most if not all Afrocuban music. That said, there is definitely a broad and deep influence of clave based music on R&B, rock, country, bluegrass and other United States music. This comes both from the African roots centuries ago, and modern clave based music. Examples are the role of the banjo (an instrument largely of African origin) in country and bluegrass music, and NYC/Puerto Rican salsa musician Marc Quiñones playing percussion for years with the Allman Brothers band, respectively.

By the way, thanks for that Trucks/Tedeschi band link. I hadn't really listened to them so I checked out a few of their videos on YT, really talented band and leaders. Great singing, slide guitar, arrangements and I was amazed how tight the 2 drummers play, with 2 snare back beats in unison.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:08 pm

And Dereck Trucks also and still plays with the Allman Brothers Band (he's the drummer's nephew).
Chtimulato

Postby Derbeno » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Funk pattern on Congas seems to fit better than tumbao..which means clave or direction of clave don't matter all that much. If you throw in a mini solo then, yes keep clave in mind.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to Bongo