Effects of temperature, humidity on natural skins

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Effects of temperature, humidity on natural skins

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 am

Looking at the internet there are sometimes conflicting opinions about what temperature and humidity do to natural skins, so I'd figure I would ask here to get the definite answer:
- hot vs cold: does it shrink or expand natural skins ?
- humidity vs dryness: does it shrink or expand natural skins ?

Thanks !!
Beatnik07

Re: Effects of temperature, humidity on natural skins

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm

In my eyes, cold and humidity only detune skins, and you'll have to tune them more - I mean to give more quarter of turns when you want to play again :wink: ...
Hot and dry tends to "tune" the skins. Remember last summer. Since you're in Paris, you understand what I mean.
But we both live in a temperate country, the contrasts are usually not so strong (so far at least).

But temperature contrasts are also said to have also an influence on the wood, which can shrink then. That's why some professional players prefer to use fiberglass drums and synthetic skins.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Natural skins on your drums will shrink when they dry out and expand again when they take on more moisture. Cold climate typically causes natural skins to shrink and tighten on drums that are in heated rooms. As the cold winter air from outside is heated, the relative humidity of the air drops and causes the skins to dry out more. I have had pulled djembe skins pop in the winter just sitting inside their bag. Likewise, medium tuned congas can go up a lot higher without tuning them due to drying out of the air. Plastic skins have minimal reponse if any to humidity changes, I just find they don't sound as nice to my ears as real skins.
Likewise, wood shells of drums will shrink somewhat in heated winter air. This can cause separation of staves and cracking of the wood, and generally happens the first year or two the drum is exposed to that dry air. Once repaired, the wood shells may be less likely to crack again, although I have had better experience when I repair shells in the dry winter while the wood is shrunk. The wood shrinks and expands proportionally much less than the skin, so the wood shrinkage does not cancel out the skin shrinkage.
jorge

Postby Juaort » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:48 am

Humidity tends to stretch real skins. Especially on a Bongo Macho or Conga Quinto. Just cause you’re re-tuning more times than usual. Cold tends to tighten skins. With time and experience you learn to make adjustments. Chtimulato and Jorge are right on the money.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 am

Thanks to all !!
:)
Beatnik07

Return to Bongo