Detuning the Bongos after practice

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Detuning the Bongos after practice

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am

Newbie question: after practice how many "wrench turns" are typically needed to detune the Hembra and Macho for safeguarding the heads ?

Thanks ! :)
Beatnik07

Re: Detuning the Bongos after practice

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:04 pm

I usually give two 1/4 turns to tune them - unless it's very cold and/or humid, I give more then - and the same amount to detune them. This should be enough, you don't need to detune totally, in my eyes.
I own a bongo since 1988, and the hembra's still got it's original skin with this treatment. Maybe someone else will tell you something else.
Last edited by Chtimulato on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Chtimulato wrote:I usually give two 1/4 turns to tune them - unless it's very cold and/or humid, I give more then - and the same amount to detune them. This should be enough, you don't need to detune totally, in my eyes.
I own a bongo since 1988, and the hembra's still got it's original skin with this treatment. Maybe someone else swill tell you something else.

Thanks !
When I received my bongos they were totally detuned ie the nuts were almost at the end of the thread on the lugs. I had to give them several (4-5) full turns in total, to get to some usable tone.
So, I was wondering if I had to get back to that extreme detuning every time I stopped practicing (which would be annoying).
I also observed that the tuning process with a wrench generates little chips of detached chrome plating, but I would assume it is unavoidable since the nuts are chrome plated.
Beatnik07

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm

I can suggest you to replace the chrome plated nuts with bronze ones, it will avoid chipping.
If your lugs' thread is metric (8 mm), use exhaust manifold nuts (des écrous de collecteur d'échappement) for Fiat 500.
If it's imperial (9/16" or 3/8"), use the same for Mini (Austin, Cooper).
Depends on your bongo, and you'll need to make a little research. But I think I can give you some links.

Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Always detune after playing. It’ll definitely extend the life if the skins as well as the shells and Lugs. What I’ve done through the years is the same number of turns for Tuning do for Detuning. For me that number is usually 3 - 4 Qtr Turns. Depends on conditions. Cold, Hot, humid etc.
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Chtimulato! Is that your Valje Bongo?
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:54 am

Chtimulato! Is that your Valje Bongo?

Yes. They are LP Valje, bought in 1988, so after the Valje workshop burnt down (1987 I think) and after LP bought the brand. And as I said, the hembra's still got the original skin. It's like an old friend, because it's the first "serious" instrument I bought new in a shop, not something second hand. 31 years make you get close. :)
I went to an iron worker 2 years ago and had him making new lugs for me. And put then bronze nuts to spare the threads.

Beatnik07, what are your bongo ?
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:39 pm

That’s a great story! Those old LP Valjes are sweet. Hard to find now. It’s on my list of Bongos to add to my collection. One day I’m sure I’ll find a pair. I’m home from work for the thanksgiving holiday, so I’ll be cranking a couple of my sets today and have a little fun.
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm

This is the first generation of Valje LP bongó, made out of rubberwood.
The following models (named "Armando Peraza", with the matching congas) were made out of cherry wood or beech. With a narrower central block, which doesn't allow the skin to go down very far. And then, LP recently developped a mahogany and an oak model, made by Akbar Moggadam (sorry if I make typos, I'm not sure of the spelling).
The mahogany one has now disappeared, but the oak one remains on the LP website :
http://www.lpmusic.com/products/bongos/lp/valje-oak-bongos

Mine are 7" and 8,5", and their "big brother" is the "Dandy model", made out of beech wood :
http://www.lpmusic.com/products/bongos/lp/john-dandy-rodriguez-signature-bongos

Enjoy your holidays and your drumming.

BTW, I just found an old LP Valje catalogue on my computer. I scanned/digitalized it to post on an another forum. If I can find how to post a .pdf file here, I'll do it if you guys are interested. Or as pm if you want.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Juaort wrote:Always detune after playing. It’ll definitely extend the life if the skins as well as the shells and Lugs. What I’ve done through the years is the same number of turns for Tuning do for Detuning. For me that number is usually 3 - 4 Qtr Turns. Depends on conditions. Cold, Hot, humid etc.

Wow ... 3- 4 turns, that's a lot of turns. After detuning to 4 turns do you end up near or at the end of the thread ?
Also, I have been told (or read) to tune/detune by 1/4 turn at the time per lug all around the drum, so that would be 16 times cycling around one drum !!!
Beatnik07

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 pm

3 or 4 Qtr = quarter = 1/4... :) Should be maximum 4 times around then. :)
I mostly give two 1/4 turns, but I told you it depends on if it's cold or humid.
If Juaort lives in a cold and/or humid town, he has to do more.
And yes,
I have been told (or read) to tune/detune by 1/4 turn at the time per lug all around the drum
that's right.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Queens, NYC Chtimulato. Super humid in the summer months and super cold in the winter, lol. I like to keep my rims high. Don’t like that stretch skin look.
Juaort

Postby carlito » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 am

Hi Guys,
as already mentioned in a previous post, it is better for the material and gentler to relax the skins, preferably completely, because every strain puts strain on the material. I do it primarily because of the body, because it deforms over time. New skins are easier and cheaper to buy, although it also protects them when they are not always under tension. If this is too much effort, buy one more used ones for regular practice.

In the Valje Bongos by LP both versions are made to order, and they are also available in mahogany.

https://www.gewamusic.com/product/22435/latin-percussion-bongo-valje-heritage.html
carlito

Postby Beatnik07 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Chtimulato wrote:3 or 4 Qtr = quarter = 1/4... :) Should be maximum 4 times around then. :)
I mostly give two 1/4 turns, but I told you it depends on if it's cold or humid.
If Juaort lives in a cold and/or humid town, he has to do more.
And yes,
I have been told (or read) to tune/detune by 1/4 turn at the time per lug all around the drum
that's right.

Oops ! I missed the Qtr .... that makes a lot more sense. Thanks !
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Beatnik07, what are your bongo ?

They are LP John Dandy Rodriguez (which I just got new). :)
Beatnik07

Next

Return to Bongo