Storing Bongos drums in a bag

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Storing Bongos drums in a bag

Postby Beatnik07 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 pm

First I am a new member, so Hello to all !! :)
For my bongos I got a LP bag just like this one below. But don't you think the bongos should be instead head down in the bag (or maybe side ways), to prevent the 8 bolts from pressing on and damaging the bag's bottom ?
Beatnik07

Re: Storing Bongos drums in a bag

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello.
I own the same bag. You can put a piece of foam or of cardboard, wood, plastic etc. in the bottom if you want to protect it.
You can also fix some rubber tips at the end of the lugs, which will do the same. You can also do both. Better than putting the bongó upside down imho.
Enjoy.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 am

What’s up Beatnik07! Welcome! I to have this LP Bongo Bag. Chtimulato is right on the money. It’s also up to you, how you feel comfortable carrying them around. I’ve had many different Bongo Bags through the years, this is probably the best. If you’re going to also carry a Bongo Hand Cowbell make sure to have a cover on it as well so it doesn’t damage your shells or hardware.

Juaort.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Hello.
Better than putting the bongó upside down imho.

Thanks ! But as I am a beginner I have to ask: why is it better to have the head up instead of down in the bag ?
Beatnik07

Postby Beatnik07 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Juaort wrote:What’s up Beatnik07! Welcome! I to have this LP Bongo Bag. Chtimulato is right on the money. It’s also up to you, how you feel comfortable carrying them around. I’ve had many different Bongo Bags through the years, this is probably the best. If you’re going to also carry a Bongo Hand Cowbell make sure to have a cover on it as well so it doesn’t damage your shells or hardware.

Juaort.

Thanks ! :)
This bag is a bit oversized, I guess to carry other things like you mentioned, but it really looks quite sturdy and well made.
Beatnik07

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:00 pm

why is it better to have the head up instead of down in the bag ?

How would you put your bongos on a table or on the ground ? ;)
If you, or someone else, slam(s) the bag on the ground or a table, it could damage the head. And if the bongos have the head upside in the bag, you can protect it with a towel or a piece of foam. You'll have to do it anyway if you put the cowbell in the inside upper pocket.

This bag is a bit oversized

That's true. But you'll get used to it. It depends in fact on the measurements of your bongos. Some have a 9" hembra for instance. But you can also wrap the shells with a towel for more protection and adjustment.
As you can see, I use a lot of towels. :D On my drumheads too, to avoid disturbing my kin and my neighbours while practicing.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:46 pm

Lugs down all the way! Adding an extra layer of padding is not a bad idea. It does also depend on your Bongo set. What sizes are the heads? I store my LP Gen3’s (7 1/4” X 9”) or my LP Palisades NJ Bongos (7 1/4” X 8 5/8”) in it as well and they fit great.

Juaort
Juaort

Return to Bongo