Ordered some bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Ordered some bongos

Postby dr0 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks to the many legacy posts here I learned enough about bongos to feel OK about ordering some. I'm a guitarist, but lately I've just wanted something different, that I could play without getting into the songs and routines that are involved in playing guitar. (Not that I don't love band practice, and practice and playing out, but just there are other parts of music to explore). Anyway, I ordered some Matador Customs based on quite a few posters saying they were a good choice for the price. And I've learned alot reading here, so thanks again. I'll post a picture when they come.

About 15 years ago I bought a Cosmic Percussion mini-Conga. It looks like a fun little drum, but I never really bonded with it. It's about 18" tall, and it's an awkward size to play. You can sort of play it sitting in a chair, but it down too low and wants to sit on the ground. And, if you do that, then you lose the tone. I should probably have tried to rig some sort of strap for it, but couldn't bring myself to drill it. I see some people have rigged stands for them, that's really what was needed.

Last night I was invited to the birthday party for the drummer in our band, which was held at a local watering hole. Having just ordered the bongos a few days ago I decided to make an impromptu gift of the mini-conga to him. He seemed very happy to receive it, and I hope he has more luck with it than I did. The tone on it was still nice when I picked it up.

Out with the old, in with the new.
dr0

Re: Ordered some bongos

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Nice choice (the Matadors).

I suggest you to find a serious teacher, either in real life or online. I know Johnny Conga, also forum member, gives online lessons.You can also check out guys like Pablo "el Indio" Rosario, Michael de Miranda, Joaquin Arteaga or el Panga on Youtube. And Michael Romero (Earth Wind & Fire, Poncho Sánchez, Francisco Aguabella) made a nice DVD for bongó beginners.

Good luck !
Chtimulato

Postby dr0 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for all those excellent names. I will check all of them out, and look for a bongo teacher here in Portland.
dr0

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm

I forgot to mention Edgardo Cambón, a.k.a. Dance Papi on Youtube. He posts good tutorials too.
Chtimulato

Return to Bongo