goat skins

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

goat skins

Postby Mark Brodie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Anybody got any thoughts on the suitability of goat skins for bongos? I was told by a local drum shop that goat skin is only used on cheaper drums, but I've read otherwise.

I've currently got a pair of LP Original Bongos, which I like very much. However, I find the skins rather thick and uncomfortable to play--I think they've got cow hides on them, as they are very high-end drums. I've also got a set of cheap, entry-level LP Aspires, and I actually like the skins on these. Would they be goat skin?

Mark
Mark Brodie

Re: goat skins

Postby burke » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the aspires come with thin water buffalo. I did a search here on 'goat skin' and its seems like its considered old school and used mainly on the hembra ... if you want something thinner maybe consider synthetic?

Artdrum is a great place for both skins and advise ... I'd use him more but the dollar and shipping to Canada makes its no good right now.

http://artdrum.com/LP_HEADS_BONGO.htm
Burke
burke

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 pm

IMHO, you can put a goatskin on the macho if you like the sound - I did this a while ago and was rather satisfied with it, till I switched to mule. I wouldn't put it on the hembra, but that's a matter of taste.
You can try to find a djembe player who's just changed the skin and can give/sell you the old one, it avoids you buying one, and allows you to make a test.
Last edited by Chtimulato on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtimulato

Postby Psych1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

I like goat skin, mainly on the macho with thicker cow skin on the hembra. It is a bit of work but I believe it is worth it. You definitely have to tune and detune every time and replace the goat skin more often than other skin. I tune the macho up very high and the goat skin gives a bright sharper tone that you cannot get with other skins - more like the bright tone you can get with synthetic heads.

Goat skins are often used on most middle-eastern drums. So, if you can"t find some at your local music/drum shop just find a middle-eastern grocery store and ask them.
Psych1

Postby burke » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the correction guys: macho/hembra - I only skimmed the posts and got it backwards I guess :oops:

Speaking of Middle Eastern drums and goatskin, I recently bought a remo dohola [bass darbuka] and just wasn't loving the sound of the skyndeep head. I have skyndeep on two of my other darbukas - including another size remo, and I love the sound on those.

So I took a chance on a pre-mounted goat skin that was on sale from Mid-East music and it vastly improved the sound of that particular drum.

They are another source BTW for skins:
http://www.mid-east.com/Natural-Skins
Burke
burke

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:28 am

Goat on the macho makes a lot of sense. I'd go for a side piece though, rather than from across the ridge of the back as is desirable for djembe. A side piece would be thinner and of a more consistent thickness.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Return to Bongo