New Matadors

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

New Matadors

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Received a new to me set of Matadors in the mail yesterday. Bought them off ebay from a guy that said he bought them seven years and never played them, just had them for a conversation piece. When I got them, they were just like new. Took the head off the hembra and the date said 15/8/99, so instead of seven years old, they are 17 years old. They are the almond wood dark brown and were purchased in Japan. After new skins I will have a really nice set of elderly drums. Are these made of real almond wood or stained rubber wood? I think this makes for a good story. Any comments?
mangorockfish

Re: New Matadors

Postby Psych1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Enjoy them!!

Matadors are good bongos, well made w decent hardware. But, with terrible skins. Most or us here believe the quality of the heads makes the biggest difference in the quality of the sound but there is less agreement on which skins are the best skins. Some even prefer synthetic heads.

Type of wood also makes a difference but much less of a difference. I believe all Matadors were/are made of rubberwood.
Psych1

Re: New Matadors

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 am

Saludos, a good set of skins will do. I would suggest synthetic Remo skindeep M9-0715-S4-SD009 for the macho and natural natural skin on Hembra at least 1 /8 thick.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo