Bongo Book - who knows the one by Trevor Salloum? - info about instructional material on bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 31, 2001 12:49 pm

Hi out there,
does anybody know the Bongobook which has been recommended to me? I can´t get hold of it in my local store and I´m just curious.
As an intermediate conga player, I increasingly enjoy my bongos as well, for the bongo/conga setup is great for soloing, but also band accompaniment (Latin Jazz is my favourite).
So please, let me share experiences with that book. There aren´t many good ones on the market, I think..
Mike

Postby CongaMan » Mon Apr 02, 2001 9:26 am

Hi Mike,
I have "The Bongo Book" and I think it's a great book for beginner to intermediate (I'm sure that even professional bongoceros can find it interesting!).
64 pages containing: martillio+70 variations, 70 one/two bars fills, bolero - jazz - rock - brazilian - afro, danzòn - mozambique - songo - bomba - plena -merengue - cumbia - beguine rhythms, a bongo solo and few pages of exercises: ALL WITH AUDIO! (CD-rom).
Then you can also find: history, pictures of technique, maintenance, glossary, bibliography and 4 interviews: Jack Costanzo, Armando Peraza, José Mangual and Candido Camero.
If you want to buy it on-line use this link:
Click Here!

If you need further info let me know :)
Bye.
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Yukon conga » Wed May 30, 2001 7:37 am

Hey guys
Trevor Salloum has another bongo book out now, also with a CD. It's called Bongo Drumming: Beyond the Basics. Here's a write up on it:

Bongo Drumming: Beyond the Basics

by Trevor Salloum

This volume contains a wealth of information not previously available. It includes over 200 martillo patterns, macho-hembra combinations, slap exercises, rhythms for bell/bongo/conga set-up, extensive rock, (ATTENTION LAURENT!!) {{nengon}} and change patterns, odd time signatures, Armando Peraza solo transcription, bongo solo discography, chapter on early history, glossary, resource section and much more. ©2000, 80 pages.

I ordered a copy about 6 weeks ago. Still hasn't arrived. Have to learn how to play my new Matador bongos.

The part about "rhythms for bell/bongo/conga set-up" really sounds potentially very cool!!

Later gators
Yukon conga

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2001 11:05 am

Yeah,
I also got salloum Vol. 2 and it´s really great!!
Check it out, folks! Lots of exercises and interesting patterns, esp. combinations conga bongo and bell etc.
Mike

Postby spiff46 » Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:49 pm

I was also wondering about the book by Salloum. I am a beginner conga player, but I also enjoy playing the bongos and have worked through a few of the martillo patterns. I was wondering if I should start with the Vol. 1 or just go with the Vol. 2. The Vol. 2 sounds cool because of the combination conga & bongo.
spiff46

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 30, 2001 7:38 am

If you haven´t got any beginner´s guide for bongos (tuning, maintenance basic strokes etc. ) I would rather recommend vol.1 !
On the other hand the patterns conga-bongo, bell-bongo are pretty cool indeed and very useful.
Perhaps you buy both...? ;)
Last edited by Mike on Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Postby Yukon conga » Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:32 am

For anyone interested in buying the Beyond the Basics book/CDs combo, Amazon.com has it on right now for ว.96, that's 20% off reg. price.
Ross
Yukon conga

Re: Bongo Book - who knows the one by Trevor Salloum? - info

Postby droid » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Are there available some excerpts?
droid

Re: Bongo Book - who knows the one by Trevor Salloum? - info

Postby scavard » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:17 am

Is there anyone with audio files from the Bongo Book please?
scavard

Return to Bongo