Tips for the pros

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby twigg » Thu May 29, 2003 11:13 pm

As relatively new to the group and in experience, I would relish learning the skills by leaning on the expert's knowledge of finessing the stroke. For example:
1: Show me the rythmn.
2: Play the pattern-video with audio.
3: Explain the technique of acheiving the desired sound.
4: Show the cheat method.

This may be asking too much.......Pro's screeming....."He's a novice"!!!! But when it comes down to it, the Pro's became pro's by hanging with the pro's. This is my aspiration.

Blessings,

Twigg
twigg

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 30, 2003 11:58 pm

Yo Twigg...what do you mean "finessing the stroke". I would not even come close to recommending anything in the way of "cheating". What's up with that??...the youth of today,um um um!......well you'd have to move to Seattle to hang with this "pro".....at your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby twigg » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:33 am

Hey JC, What I meant in "finessing the stroke".......hemmmmm
is that the pro's have mastered the skill of their stroke and have a different way they individually "attack, stroke, carress,touch" the skins acheiving personalized sound. If that can be communicated throught the internet, that would be great.
As for cheating.......I would never presume any .............
However, if there is a better way to acheive a stroke with less effort......For instance, I can do a muted slap no problem.
But when it comes to an open hand single slap, I can't get the sound. The pro can tell me a way to acheive that with out beating my hands to a bloody grade A rare pulp. It could be that one can't get a open hand slap out of quinto.........

Lastly, I would really relish hanging with any pro. Is Seattle an open invitation?

God Bless,
Twigg AKA the naive middle-aged youth
twigg

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:48 am

Well Twigg....I don't have a camera attached to my computer or I would be selling lessons over it....ummmmmm an idea!....Every hand drummer has an "individualized attack", some stronger than others, some more dynamic than others,and some are more improvisational. This ALL comes from "practical application" on a daily basis, in reference to drumming. Well your welcome to come to Seattle, it's a free country ya know and for the time being I live here. So if your planning a trip here let me know. have you seen the Conga Joy videos or the Kalani videos for instruction??????......At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby twigg » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:13 am

JC,

I have not heard of the conga joy vid. How is it? I do have the Kalani "show me the rhythms". It's really good for learning the patterns. What about lead patterns? Is there good source material for recommendations? What about the Cliff's Rhumba book?

Blessings,

Twigg
;)
twigg

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:37 pm

Hi Twigg ..I have both copies of Conga Joy by Bill Matthews.what Bill shows you is how to play on conga ,jimbe and ashiko drums. He also shows you 2 drum rhythm parts in his video covering about 100 rhythm patterns with their names and origins. Kalani also has "how to play the congas" video which is good. Cliff's book which I don't have may be a little advanced for ya,depending on your experience.Hope this helps....At your Service...JC JOHNNYCONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Ronnie waka waka Loreto » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:16 am

[url=rl]My Webpage[/url]This message is for johnny conga Be aware every were, call Mr waka waka at 305-992-8327
Ronnie waka waka Loreto

Postby akdom » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Well well..... You guys are going into circle.
If you need to know al that, get a teacher, someone with enough experience to answer your questions. The only way to have a good sound and good open tones.... Is practice practice and practice. Techniques stops at one point and the rest is a perso stuff. So practice keeping in mind what your teacher is telling you and then look for the stroke you like ans the sound you are looking for. That's what I would recommand to you.

Hope this was helpfull

See ya
akdom

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:15 pm

Hello Akdom...could you tells us a bit about you and your playing experience, please....Where are you from and where do you live?......"JC" Johnny Conga....'AL LADO LATINO"
http://www.kbcs.fm every saturday from 6pm to 8pm PCT.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... in_Up_.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:30 pm

I may have asked this before Johhny. Is your radio show available on the internet? Otherwise, aside from a trip to the States, I won't have much chance to hear it!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:43 pm

Vaya Simon....YES it is online at http://www.kbcs.fm ..every saturday at 6pm, US west coast time 6pm to 8pm. Let me know tomorrow if you were able to hear it, okay? Gracias, tu pana..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tito » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:01 am

hey people...just wondering what is more popular wooden or fiberglass...i'm just about to purchase new ones and wanted some feed back from the pro's...thanks ...Tito
tito

Postby tito » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:03 am

hey johnny what is that eastern time i'm from philly ....i think you guys are two hours behind? correct me if i'm wrong
tito

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:21 pm

Vaya Tito...I'm 3 hours behind you , so it would be at 9pm to 11pm your time.....Hope u tune into "AL LADO LATINO"...."JC" Johnny Conga........ :D PS... this week I will be doing some "ol skool" Boogalu from my personal collection of vynil....
JohnnyConga

Postby tito » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:18 am

hey jc what website is it on?
tito

Next

Return to The CongaZine