Andy Gonzalez

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Andy Gonzalez

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 pm

I just overheard that bassist Andy Gonzalez, Jerry's brother, has passed away on April 9, 2020. It is said that the cause was pneumonia, but he has also been suffering from diabetes for years. He was 69, same as Jerry who died 2 years ago. Both brothers were not only great - and unique - players, but they were also important figures in the development of Latin Jazz and the Latin Jazz scene in New York. Andy's spirit and knowledge of the tradition will be missed. There are many great bass players on the planet, but personalities like Andy's cannot be replaced. I always had great respect for both Andy and Jerry and was glad they were there, doing the right thing.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Andy Gonzalez

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 pm

That's right, Thomas. May they "rumba in paradise", as it's used to say now.
Chtimulato

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:32 am

Oh, that's sad news! May he rest in peace.
I loved his bass playing.
And this awesome compilation was very beautifully commented by him together with Manny Oquendo:
https://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Mambo- ... B000FDF250
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Siete Leguas » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Sad news. RIP
In memoriam, as Jorge wrote in another thread, "one of the sweetest rumbas ever recorded on video". Compa Galletano from Fernando Trueba's movie Calle 54, with an all-star line-up, Andy on bass. Sweet bass indeed.
Siete Leguas

Return to News