NEW CD OYE!...IS HERE!!!..

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

NEW CD OYE!...IS HERE!!!..

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Has anyone here purchased my CD?...If so I would like to hear what you have to say about it...and what you would like to hear on my next CD?....Tks...JC http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JohnnyConga
JohnnyConga

Re: NEW CD OYE!...IS HERE!!!..

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 am

I just found out today that my CD OYE! has been nominated for a 2012 Golden Ear Award for Best NW Recording of the Year!...If you would like to vote for OYE! please goto http://www.earshot.org ,,Thank you!. Online Balloting will begin soon!...the voting hasnt started yet I will let everyone know when they can vote..thank you!..
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Congratulations. Went to the website and I found this "The On-line Ballot will be available soon".
I will check again in couple of days once again congratulations.
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 pm

THANK YOU!...I will let everyone know when it will be time to vote.. here is a review of my CD OYE!...

Johnny Conga - Oye!
Johnny Conga has given the impression that he is an exceptionally quiet musician, releasing one album, Breaking Skin in 2009 and now, Oye!. In reality, however, he has a long career spanning 45 years.

Unfortunately, though, his reputation among the cognoscenti and fans of Latin Jazz and its constituent idioms must rest on the heritage of these two albums. His 2009 release was a revelation: For here was a percussionist whose skill and virtuosity equalled if not exceeded most of the conga players and certainly rivalled some of the percussionists playing today. Three years after that episode Conga releases his follow-up. How does this measure up to that first, explosively beautiful album? Oye! is a more sophisticated album from one of the most talented percussionists playing today. In fact if anything it is an infinitely more musical record; one in which Mr. Conga has applied all of his skill, virtuosity and intellect.

Those are some characteristics Johnny Conga has in plenty. The proof is first in the repertoire that Mr. Conga has selected for this album. Wayne Shorter has a Latin side and the trombonist, Conrad Herwig recorded a marvellous album transcribing some of Mr. Shorter’s classic charts. However Mr. Conga has also excelled at a task few would have dared to undertake: he has made a hypnotic and majestic transcription of Wayne Shorter’s “Footprints”. The chart has a certain menace to it when played on the saxophone as it is anyone’s guess whose footprints Mr. Shorter speaks of; on the other hand these could be perceived as a generational thing as Mr. Shorter speaks of the musical ancestors with deep and ponderous respect. And this is exactly how Mr. Conga treats this classic chart. Another chart that is simply wonderful is one of Django Reinhardt lesser-known charts for which Tony Bennett famously wrote the lyrics. While Mr. Bennett treated the song as a wistful ballad, Johnny Conga infuses the chart with a bustling joy. This is typical of Mr. Conga’s music and it is evident on the two solo performances on this record.

“Mullaly Park-Bronx Rumba” and “Rumba y Guarapachangeo” are among the finest displays of rhythmic coloration applied to the harmonic textures of song. The fact is there are probably several overdubs on both tracks; yet despite this device, Mr. Conga has succeeded in pulling off the performance of his life. In fact on the basis of these two charts alone Mr. Conga can claim to be among the top conga players outside of Latin America. Here it is certain that Johnny Conga has absorbed the sound and substance of his spiritual ancestors with a great deal of depth. In fact it would not be a fallacy to claim to hear Tata Güines in his playing as Mr. Conga is one of the most melodic and musical players around. For rhythmic muscularity Mr. Conga seems to have absorbed the angularity of Patato Valdés and on timbales, who can escape the influence of Tito Puente?

Still Johnny Conga has retained a singular voice and this may be heard in his tender tribute to Cal Tjader on “Mambo for Tjader”. Mr. Conga’s originality may also be borne out by his sophisticated cha cha chá blues, “Chablue”. These two charts might easily point in the direction of Johnny Conga’s next venture: an album of originals, perhaps, for certainly the time has come for Johnny Conga to give expression to the prompts of his deep and excited soul.

Tracks: Cold Duck Time; Mambo Diablo; Sidewinder; Mullaly Park-Bronx Rumba; Chablue; Footprints; Quiet Stroll; Rumba Y Guarapachangeo; All For You; Mambo For Tjader.

Personnel: Mario Marrero: piano, bass (2, 3, 5, 7, 10); Fred Hoadley: piano (1, 6); Sammy Alamillo: drums (1, 6); Rick Houle: bass (1, 6); Steve Mostovoy: trumpet (1, 2, 3, 5, 6); Nathaniel Paul: saxophones, flute (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10); Joe Cano: guitar (9); Julio Jauregui: piano, synth bass (9); Johnny Conga: congas, bongos, timbales, vibraphone, cajón, guagua, clave, cowbell, guiro, vocals.

Johnny Conga on the Web: www.facebook.com/JohnnyConga

Label: Independent Release

Reviewed by: Raul da Gama

About The Author

Raul da Gama
LJN Canadian Editor. Based in Milton, Ontario, Canada, Raul is a musician and an accomplished writer whose profound analysis is reinforced by his deep understanding of music, technically as well as historically.
Related Posts
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Mr. Raul da Gama is not using poetic licence here or just simply embellishing
his review, he is right on point. OYE.....Is Here!!! is that good and a must
have. Let support our musicians that despite the music business and economic
downturn still have the time, money and desire to record and perform great music.
Attachments
Isla Requinto-Oye...Is Here!!! CD.jpg
Just In Case Here Is My Copy.
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 am

Gracias RB! for your support of the music!....
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm

It's driving my wife crazy. It's on constant replay here in the house. Superb!!
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Well I hope "crazy" in a Good way!...and Thank you for support of the music!...enjoy!... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

For those that does not buy music on CD format here is "El Watusi" link
where you can purchase the whole recording or the tracks you like the most
and down loaded to your electronic device of choice.

http://www.elwatusi.com/search/release. ... e_id=78557
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Another Great review of my New CD OYE!...
http://www.newgensalsa.com/review-johnn ... or-tjader/

available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JohnnyConga and at Itunes and Amazon
JohnnyConga

I would like your Vote!...

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am

THE ONLINE VOTING HAS BEGUN!...THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!...
My New CD OYE! has been nominated for a 2012 Golden Ear Award for Best NW Recording of the Year!...If you would like to vote for OYE! please goto http://www.earshot.org CLIK ON THE G and it takes u to the Ballot page..if u don't see the G reload page and it will come up or clik on EVENTS and look for Golden Ear Awards and the ballot will come up..

THANK YOU ALL!...Johnny Conga

for those who aren't familiar with my New CD OYE! chek it here
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JohnnyConga
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Done!
CongaTick

Postby 440ranch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 pm

...and done.
440ranch