RIP Jimmy Sabater

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

RIP Jimmy Sabater

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Excellent timbalero - singer. Member of the Joe Cuba Sextet. RIP Jimmy Sabater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nne9YIxqOVs
RitmoBoricua

Re: RIP Jimmy Sabater

Postby maelopr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Man, that's sad news...I can attest to the great music he made with Joe Cuba way back, as I used to play in a group here in Ponce called Timbrafono which was in tribute to Joe Cuba and Cheo Feliciano, I grew a great respect for their music. Our Piano player was actually family (his father was a cousin of Jimmy's)...may he rest in peace.

-Ismael
ยก ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Re: RIP Jimmy Sabater

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 am

The original Joe Cuba Sextet with Cheo Feliciano was a well oiled killing machine that kicked ass and took names.
I mean Cheo sang the tunes in spanish and Jimmy sang the tunes in english. I think in most of the 60's recordings they
have a bongocero effectively making the sextet a septet. I think Dandy , Manny Oquendo and Jimmy Centeno were
the bongoseros in some of them recordings. The Joe Cuba sextet had a huge hit with Jimmy singing "To Be With You"
later on they scored big time with "El Pito". No doubt Jimmy Sabater was the real deal. Rest In Piece Boricua You Made Us Proud!
RitmoBoricua

Return to News