Hello Forum

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Hello Forum

Postby El Newguy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 am

I am a long time reader but first time user of this forum. I have been trying to learn conga drumming and other types of percussion for about 1 year and am eager to start taking more lessons and meet more people who are into the same. I have been to Cuba and the Caribbean (Jamaica, Antilles, Barbados) and felt inspired by the air, the ocean and the people. Mostly the music! I hope to learn a lot from this forum because there seems to be so much knowledge and expertise here!
El Newguy

Re: Hello Forum

Postby Gallichio » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 am

Welcome,
You can learn quite a bit here, Enjoy!
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Chupacabra » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:47 am

Greetings!

We are almost neighbours, I am in Pembroke. About an hour and a half drive from Ottawa. This forum can be a great resource for information, for sure. Some people are actually pretty helpful here and are willing to share their knowledge and exchange dialog.

Have you found any people or groups to practise with? I've been trying for about a year to find any type of AfroCuban music teachers and/or groups in the area to practise with and no such luck yet.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Welcome to Congaplace!
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:32 am

Welcome to the forum, if you are in Canada, look up my bro Jorge Luis 'Papiosco', one hell of a conga player and all round percussionist. Back in Cuba he played with Klimax, Cubanismo, and several other greats. We met and hung out/jammed while he was on tour with Cubanismo in Sydney.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby El Newguy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Everyone, greetings!

Chupacabra, I haven't found anyone reliable yet. Not that want to practise the traditional folkloric music. Just hippy drummers. I was just wondering, are you the guy I was talking with for like an hour in the Ottawa Folklore Music store about six months ago? The guy who just got back from Afghanistan a few weeks before? If you are, I took your advice and waited it out for the LP Matadors. It was well worth the wait, thanks!

Cheers!
Ted
El Newguy

Postby El Newguy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 am

Abakua, do you know what city your bro' Jorge lives in? This is one big ol' country and even the name of the province he lives in would narrow it down a lot!

Cheers,
Ted
El Newguy

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Papiosco is either in Vancouver BC or in Toronto....he plays with Hilario Duran...I think he is also on Facebook...I am also offering online lessons if it doesnt work out with him...JC
JohnnyConga

Postby El Newguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks JohnnyConga, I might just start looking at getting a webcam. I'll get in touch if and when I get that together. I know of Hilario Duran, he lives on Salt Spring Island, BC if it's the guy I'm thinking of.
El Newguy

Postby Chupacabra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm glad the LP's worked out well...
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!