LESSONS BEING GIVEN IN PUERTO RICO

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

LESSONS BEING GIVEN IN PUERTO RICO

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:06 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: LESSONS BEING GIVEN IN PUERTO RICO

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:37 am

Con todo respesto el Maestro El Mole...what I see is a lot of improvisation..which has it's place in playing of course...but I haven't seen his teaching methods...what are his teaching methods?...how does he teach, and how does he use his hands? are there specific exercises to be done on a daily basis?...does he teach counting? technique?...If i was going to study the drum I want to know how do you get the speed? how many rudiments are there to learn?...how do i practice what I have learned?..how many rhythms and styles will I be taught...IMHO he needs to formulate what he is offering and how he teaches. I know about learning by osmosis, but it's more than that now...basically I want to know HOW did u get there with what you do on the drum?.....once again with all due respect a El Maestro....Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anonimo

Postby jorge » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Very nice teaching videos. This is a good range of marchas, many of which are used in Cuban Timba and some in salsa. Looking at videos tumbao 1-8, it looks like his teaching technique is very effective for intermediate and more advanced players that already know basic tumbao and the different sounds to get from a conga. Beginners will need to work very hard to get all the different sounds and timing and hand motions and positions right. The video technique is good, the camera could be just a little higher so his right hand does not block some of the views of his left hand. The one main criticism I have is he has the recording volume too loud and you hear a lot of digital clipping, but that does not detract from the effectiveness of his teaching, it is just annoying. Excellent learning tool for playing Timba and modern salsa. Thanks, Leedy2.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Ok I understand that Giovanni studied with him and I also know that Giovanni LIVED in Cuba for a year and also studied with Changuito and learned all of his rudimentary drumming....and looking at his videos all i see is someone just playing with no explanation of what he is doing and how it works with music and the clave etcetera ecetera... once again with all due respect for the man...osmosis is not enough....and he does not even come close to playing in the Mongo style at all...i know I am a student of Mongo's and I can play exactly like he did....for those that have not seen my learning videos on youtube(I have 17 of them and this video now has over 230,ooo hits.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mQ1JOOs6LE I am just trying to establish that there are methods today that are new and different for learning...osmosis is just one way...Johnny Conga...ps some may find this boring but this is how you learn...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 pm

PSS...if I was in Puerto Rico I would learn(what I might need to learn) with El Mole just so everyone knows...Im not trying to put him down or anything so for u guys out there trying to find something in this ,please don't...I have the utmost respect once again for ALL teachers of the drum...."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:27 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:PSS...if I was in Puerto Rico I would learn(what I might need to learn) with El Mole just so everyone knows...Im not trying to put him down or anything so for u guys out there trying to find something in this ,please don't...I have the utmost respect once again for ALL teachers of the drum...."JC" Johnny Conga

I agree with what your saying jc .El Mole is a great player and great improviser but it dosent really show his teaching method in the youtube vids .Im sure he has a good way of teaching but he needs to show more of his method in the vids imho . I seen 2 of his students in a video by toca percussion recently who played exactly like him !
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby jorge » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:07 pm

I think we are comparing apples and oranges here. JC your YouTube lesson is great, really detailed and very understandable for beginners. Someone who has been playing tumbao for a few years would not need that level of detail. La Mole is teaching a bunch of different more advanced tumbaos, mostly from Cuban timba, and mainly targeting more experienced players who already have mastered the basic tumbao. The level of detail and pace of his video classes is fine for someone who already knows a lot of those techniques and just wants to fine tune some of the accents, secos and hand placements for different types of secos. A beginner would probably not be able to pick up what he is teaching very easily, but that does not make his teaching any worse, it is just at a different level.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:53 am

Gracias Jorge....and I agree with what you have stated as well. If his focus is with Intermediate to advanced players than of course his techniques will help to hone and develop different skills on the drum...I like you, would like to see it slowed down and explained. but like Giovanni said how he did it with David was from 7am to 7pm 7 days a week...I wish I could do that even now at 62...just dont have anyone to do it with here in Seattle :roll: que lastima!....I wish David all the success with his new DVD's and for sure I will be checking them out...I try to learn something all the time on the drum...there is always room for growth...blackbelts in Karate dont stop when they have a black belt they advance to different 'degrees'....same with playing the drum....Johnny Conga 6th degree black belt in conga...... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Cangrejero7 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:56 am

anyone know if David LaMole gives lessons and how much he charges. Anddd if so then how to get in touch with LaMole? Im always going back to PR and if the opportunity arises I'd love to study with the man
Cangrejero7

Postby pavloconga » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 am

There's a number at the top of this thread :

"Conga Lessons with the Master Puerto Rican conguero David "La Mole" Ortiz CD/ DVD/ Instructional Notation Booklet COMING SOON!! for personal class call to david 787-200-4466"
pavloconga

Postby Cangrejero7 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 am

That's Finals and exams getting to me, sorry haha THANKS!!
Cangrejero7

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!