Bongo DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby bingobongo » Wed May 09, 2007 7:58 am

Hi all

Can someone recommend a bongo dvd for basic rhythms, techniques ect. I have been working through 1 and 2 of the Tomas Cruz Conga DVD series and found his way of teaching quick and easy to pick up. Is there anything out there that resembles this approach?

Thanks
bingobongo

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Well Bongosero ...David Romero just released a Bongo Book and then there is Trevor Sallum, a very good book on bongos..And NO there isnt anything that resembles this approach, at least not yet on bongos.....The "Cuban" method that Tomas shows in his dvd is what he learned over a 9 year period with 6 different teachers at La Escuela Del Artes in Pinar del Rio".Cuba...as far as I know ALL percussion is taught there....as well as other places in and around Cuba..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D plus goto youtube.com and type in Bongos bongoseros...etc..
JohnnyConga

Postby Paqui » Wed May 09, 2007 5:49 pm

@bingobongo,

We're on the same boat ??? . In the currently second most recent post under this same section, I commented pretty much what you just posted.

I emailed Tomasito and Kevin from Timba.com.

Here is an excerpt from Kevin's response:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's fantastic that the conga method is helping you! It makes it all worthwhile to get an email like this.

Tomasito is a great bongocero (also very good at timbales). There's no immediate plan to write a book, but if you're in the United States, you might want to meet up with for a lesson and have him do a custom bongó video for you.

That's how the whole Tomás Cruz Conga Method idea started, actually. I was just trying to figure out the conga parts to Con la conciencia, so I paid Tomás to play along with the record while I videotaped it. It came out incredibly well and I got excited and sent it to my friend in Hawaii. That guy sent it to HIS friend in Canada, who is the very same guy who wrote the bongó books for Mel Bay. He called Tomasito and said "hey - Mel Bay is looking for some conga books - why don't you write some?". And then Tomasito called me (I had some experience writing method books on the computer) and I told him if he'd take the time to explain everything to me I'd write the book. I took a LOT longer than I thought and I learned more from that project than almost anything I've ever done.

So .... if you're anywhere near Miami it will be very easy, but even if you're not, Tomasito is on tour a lot with Arturo Sandoval who plays almost everywhere, so you could hook up with him when he comes near your town.

Hope that helps,

Kevin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I mentioned to Kevin that I also bought the DVD from Trevor Sallum, but it was not exactly what I was expecting. Once you start learning with Tomasito's method, it's hard to learn from simple strokes and seeing someone else just playing...

Paqui :laugh:
Paqui

Postby korman » Thu May 10, 2007 7:41 am

I also bought the DVD from Trevor Sallum

Has Trevor Salloum made a bongo video in addition to his bongo books?
korman

Postby bingobongo » Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Tomasito is a great bongocero (also very good at timbales). There's no immediate plan to write a book, but if you're in the United States, you might want to meet up with for a lesson and have him do a custom bongó video for you.

That sounds amazing however living in Scotland could make it the most expensive drum tutorial ever.

Was the DVD from Trevor Sallum any good? Anyone have any feed back?

Edited By bingobongo on 1178801629
bingobongo

Postby Paqui » Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 pm

>> Has Trevor Salloum made a bongo video in addition to his bongo books?

Yes. "The Art of Bongo Drumming"

>> Was the DVD from Trevor Sallum any good?

Not to me. First, it's a complementary DVD that won't help you much if you don't have his previously realeased books and second it goes way to too fast without many details. This DVD reminded me one from Diego Gale that a friend of mine lend me to learn congas --what a waste of money.
Paqui

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm

ONCE again I will say JUST CAUSE YOU PLAY DOESN'T MAKE YOU A TEACHER!....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Paqui » Sat May 12, 2007 1:11 am

JohnnyConga, I agree with you 100%
Paqui

Postby Changuiri » Sat May 12, 2007 1:37 am

David Romero ALSO HAS A DVD ON BONGO.
Changuiri

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat May 12, 2007 5:22 pm

For the future Guys ,, if you want a Teacher find one of his students first and ask questions...Just cause he may be a "personality or name" doesnt mean he can teach...Here in Seattle there are a few "charlatans" who SWEAR they can teach...they charge 50 bucks for an hour and u dont learn ****....but i have to say the "white" people here don't know any better, and are attracted to a "name" versus a "true" teacher....and because of those "so called" teachers, some of their students have come to me now, and have realized ALL the money and time they wasted with these 'charlatans"....I wind up having to "correct' and "re-teach" them all over again ...I only charge 40 bucks for an hour and a half ..AND YOU WILL HAVE HOMEWORK!.... :D and learn the "real" way to play, not some hippie dippy pittypattting bullshit....peace out..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 23, 2007 7:09 pm

I have heard many recommendations for David Romero's DVD
and you can check out clips of it on youtube, so try that one..

saying that, there is so much free info on bongos, and I personally don't think bongos are as complicated as congas.

I mean bongos have 1 rhythm, the martillo, vs. how many for congas?

I got Trevor's books, and another old one from like the 50's, which was seriously about as good, used them a couple times, and that was it. Did'nt really get anything out of the books that I could'nt have gotten for free from the internet.

hey JohnnyConga...tell us how you really feel!! :laugh:

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1179947645
bongosnotbombs

Postby Charangaman » Thu May 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Greeetings,

I don't really see Martillo being only rhythm/pattern on bongo..

There are countless possibilities for bongo beyond martillo.. Including adaptations of Conga patterns..
Charangaman

Postby burke » Thu May 24, 2007 4:31 pm

I would love to hear some, "hippie dippy pittypattting bullshit"...!!!

Any examples on u-tube or my space?
Burke
burke

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu May 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Charangaman wrote:Greeetings,

I don't really see Martillo being only rhythm/pattern on bongo..

There are countless possibilities for bongo beyond martillo.. Including adaptations of Conga patterns..

I did'nt mean that the martillo is the only pattern you can
play on the bongos....of course it is'nt

What I meant was it is the only named standardized rhythm
for the bongos, similar to the named and standardized rhtyhms for congas.

Example: if I ask someone to play martillo, I know what they will play, if I ask for a "jazz rhtythm" it could be anything the player thinks fits for jazz ( and that could also be martillo)
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu May 24, 2007 5:14 pm

Your right to a degree their are many "variaciones"/variations of martillo, beside the standard ticky ticky ticky tock....."JC" Johnny Conga.....still smilin!.... :D
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students