A litttle history

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Re: A litttle history

Postby niallgregory » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 am

The movie looks great . I am partial to a little latin boogalu every know and then 8) It goes down great for djing !
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:38 am

Here is a poster from the 60's in NYCity...chek out the price to get in,the bands performing and how long the club is open for....
NY Poster from the 60's ....jpg
and that was just one club, of hundreds at the time...
JohnnyConga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Johnny,

I wonder whether the musicians' payment was as romantic as the entrance fee? Probably ... if not, the prices for the beverages must have been obscene.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 pm

We would make back then anywhere from 50 to 80 bucks a gig which was a lot back then..and also a lot of these bands did more than one gig a night sometimes up to 3 gigs in 3 different clubs so u came home with more money. I actually made more money in a weekend then my father made all week on his factory job...and drinks were like 3 bucks....also they more or less did one set after another band played and then split to the next gig...
JohnnyConga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Sounds like the "golden era" - and like some real labor, too! Something you can look back to with a feeling of pride. Because I conclude that you have been a part of the scene ...

Who would not love to have lived and worked in that world?

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Yes I was part of that time and world and LOVED every second of it and it was also 'my school' of learning..something that doesn't really exist anymore..Especially the 'mentoring' from musical elders...most of the time is was constructive, though depending on who you hung around could lead you to believe things that could be wrong or bad for you(were actually "cool" to do)...the young today aren't very good at taking 'constructive criticism' and not much of it going around either...but that's how i see it...and has been my experience...yes the 'Golden Era' was just that ...Mongo, Ray B, Patato, Tito, Machito, and sooooooo many others as well in those times...the kids today dont know what there missing/they missed, and I wonder if they even care ...just my thoughts...
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students