Best INSTRUCTIONAL DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby 122-1131910480 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:53 pm

:)
122-1131910480

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:36 am

Got to finally see a bit of the Tomas Cruz method and i have to say, his method is very similar to mine, and I have never been to Cuba to study their method...of course the way he does what he does is very regimented, like somone was standing over him watching every stroke he makes to make sure it' s right.(it is there way in their schools)...that was my impression, but over all I find it a very good method and I have to admit that i saw some songo patterns i wasn't familiar with, really simple ones that he shows, I learned the harder ones from Daniel Ponce, playing with him and watching ...so it has a very good method of approach, along with rudiments and other "manoteos", and "recoursos"(licks)...."everyone has something to teach"....even Tomas Cruz......I'll be watching the rest of it and see what I don't know and what I've forgotten.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby captainquinto » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:04 am

"I'll be watching the rest of it and see what I don't know and what I've forgotten...." JC

... and you have probably forgotten more than many have yet learned!! :D

Good to hear the positive feedback from you on these videos as - after much debate - I ordered all three.
(I'm still on-board for a copy of your DVD, too!!)
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:51 pm

I have to admit, because I have been playing so long that there are things that I have forgotten, but then I'll see a video and sombody playing a rhythm I haven't used in a long time, and it rekindles the memory of it again.....so much to learn so little time......but I would say there will be somethings in my DVD that are very similar to what he does, I just do what he didn't do was to explain, count,and other things....but It's still a good learning tool....."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby rumbaman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Hey hope all are in good health and spirit most of all . Hey jc i'm just waiting for your video . I have Bobby Sanabrias but its ok not great yeah he has armando peraza doing a nice manteca on it but instructional quality i am not that impressed . Thats my opinion .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:00 am

with all respect my Brother that was CANDIDO CAMERO not ARMANDO PERAZA. :D
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:28 pm

Well my videographer is back and next week will go in and try and finish off my Learning DVD....I have incorporated some exercises that I have learned from La Escuela del Artes, but I have also "expanded" them also with "my own" method. I am actually just really understanding the whole "Timba" approach, (which I'll admit I thought I really understood the "mechanics" of it),which i didn't, but Now I do.....Timba is much more complicated than I thought, just for the patterns alone, then you have the "attitude" thrown in about the clave which can be taken out at anytime in an arrangement or added at any moment....or simply NO clave. They have re-written the rules on clave for Timba....so it's back to the books guys.....#### just when I thought I was out "They pulled me back in"!...."JC" Johnny Conga...... ???
JohnnyConga

Postby franc » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:45 am

J.C
hola, mi bro!!! long time no communicate, but always reading and learning from your post. yes sir!!! i want to congratulate you in your new DVD for congas and also in all the great things that are happening with you. will be looking foward for the DVD as soon as it is finished. congratulation, mi pana and always my best . áche, conguero mayor!!! ahiiiiiiiiii!!!! :D franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:52 am

JohnnyConga wrote:....Timba is much more complicated than I thought, just for the patterns alone, then you have the "attitude" thrown in about the clave which can be taken out at anytime in an arrangement or added at any moment....or simply NO clave. They have re-written the rules on clave for Timba....

I told you so! :laugh: :D

Great to hear that project is on the move again JC. :cool: You know Im down with a copy.
PS I may be able to help you with distribution in Aus if you like, chat next time you are on msn. :;):
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:08 pm

Mil Gracias-mis hermanos Franc y Abakua.....Timba is cool, just like Areito, La Onda,Pilon, and many other Cuban rhythmic inventions. But as other rhythms it may be buried by some new ones.....we'll just have to wait and see how long this rhythm is around for. The patterns in Timba almost seem "whacked", but they fall in the right places, whether there is clave or not....one of my favorite Cuban rhythms was the "Chaonda", created by the chello player of Orchestra Aragon back in the 80's.. I still use some of those rhythmic patterns today, when feasible...anybody familiar with Chaonda?.......can't wait to finish my DVD, any day now....I have really been concentrating on new hand warm ups and exercises....they kick my butt.....but they work and there really good to do before playing. I also plan on going back into the studio next week to do some more recording for my NEW perc. CD "Rompe La Parche!".....more to do... :D ..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby Isaac » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:46 am

re: Three Drum Instructional

I look forward to Johnny's video and hope
there's a 3 or 4 conga part.

Until Johnny's Video is ready, I'd like to
recommend the last one (set of three), no. 3
of Bobby Sanabria's Conga Videos.
They're actually a three tape series:
Conga Basics (tape 1);
Fundamento I (tape 2);
Fundamnento II -
technique for two & three congas,
with special guest
Candido Camero (tape 3);

~ ISAAC
Isaac

Postby franc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:15 am

yes, Bobby master percussionist!! great instructional videos. i recomend his videos !! fundamento 2. one of the best in afrocuban!!!
áche!!! :D franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:31 pm

Hi Franc....I haven't put too much thought into 3 drum playing for the DVD, though I will show some rhythmic patterns for 3 drums. My DVD is really a Basic approach to Teach you to Teach yourself, mine prepares you for that and a bit beyond... I don't know yet If i can fit everything that everybody is looking for in a learning DVD...Im taking from here and there to formulate my own,and trying to cover all the conga bases...believe me, my DVD will not be the end all in learning DVD's....there will be more to come, I can assure you of that..."so much to learn, so little time".....It's almost there!....paz Y HAPPY HOLIDAYS!....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:04 am

Ok guys it's getting closer to be done. My first half of my video has been "edited" for viewing on monday..After that I will be going back in to shoot the last part of the DVD.....stay tuned for "CongaRobics" or How'd I get there!"......'JC" Johnny Conga.... :D PS..my Engineer for my NEW CD had his basement studio flooded and now I have to go to another studio to finish it off, got 6 tunes in the can and 4 to 6 more . Once again it will be an "ol skool-street jammin-folklore" CD.of original arrangments. ....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:32 pm

looking forward to both.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students