Beginer DVDs

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Beginer DVDs

Postby Refujiado » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi guys, im trying to get few DVDs that i could use to start learning how to play at home, i currently have the Tomas Cruz versions which i have not started, was looking for some other options i could buy or burrow. If you guys have any or know of any must haves please let me know, thanks!!
Refujiado

Re: Beginer DVDs

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm

yOU CAN SEE ALL MY LEARNING VIDEOS most of them for FREE on youtube.com just type my name Johnny Conga in search and they will ALL come up...let me know if u have any questions...JC Johnny Conga PS the Tomas Cruz books are good but you will still need a Mentor as far as your learning process is concerned...I can help you..see my Congazine page here on the forum...
JohnnyConga

Postby tigre77 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm not too far ahead of you although I believe opening the Tomas book is the first step to obtaining the knowledge you seek. The series you already have is the 'must have' for a self studying beginner.
tigre77

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 am

Self study has it's limitations...in a video, this is what isn't taught to you..some of these may seem ridiculous and they are not taught in any video today. (I do use Tomas's books because it IS the Cuban method of HOW HE learned in Cuba with no less than 6 different teachers, and i too have learned from them..but then as an Educator of the drum..I see it from another perspective )

breathing and relaxing
sitting properly/height and positioning
how to use 5 parts of the hand and the exercises for them
what rhythm is used for what musical context? with all the variety of rhythms that are available...
endurance and stamina/as a mentor I can push my student on the drum so he can test himself..ex..holding a roll up to 5 minutes with him and speeding it up and slowing it down ...
controlling power and speed
dynamics
pulse
tapping and counting
styles/jazz/pop/etc...
theory of playing

for me it is always about the who, what, where, when, why and how of it.....so keep in mind that a Mentor can help you get there sooner and will make you more well rounded as a player...as I tell my students ..."It's not enough that you can play it once and go ..ok I got it!"..Im sorry ..you must play it a 1,ooo times before you can say that...my students try to get slick with me (I DON;T LIKE SLACKERS!)....I'll ask them ok show me any exercise from your second lesson, 99.9 dont remember.cause they learned it ONCE..they think they got it...once again sorry your wrong...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Nice conga solo well constructed and good ideas...the girls are getting better!..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4HLoQxdDlk
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students