Best way to tighten bands?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Best way to tighten bands?

Postby Kona » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 am

I have an old Gon Bops that has loose steel bands. I want to take the tacks out and knock then into tight placing. I want to do this with little or no rub of finish.

Thoughts?
Kona

Re: Best way to tighten bands?

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:53 am

Hi Kona,

I wouldn't do it. First of all, the steel bands are probably aluminium bands - a soft and light metal. Secondly, in my experience the bands are sitting tight during seasons with higher humidity while loosening over the dry winter months. If you shift them into a position where they are sitting tightly, and the body expands with rising humidity over the next year, the soft aluminium bands will be widened, too, with the rivet holes wearing out, and you will have the same problem over and over again. Maybe I'm wrong; but that's the reason why I never did it with my 1980s' Gon Bops.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Kona » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks Thomas.
These bands are steel i think...I'll try a magnet on them and see... :) but yes I do see your points.
I took the bands off in 2013 I think it was. When I bought the drum it was split between two staves from top to bottom. I went online and followed repair instruction on how to glue and press together and it worked great. I did put the bands back in the same place and they're a little loose.... I left them that way. I'm pretty sure I used a block of wood and a mallet to try and tighten the rings but probably did not spend enough time there. I do tuck my own heads but in this case I thought this old stamped Gon Bops head was cool the way it was and left it. As far as the out-of-round goes.... I may not want to tackle that right now.
Last edited by Kona on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kona

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi Kona,

how old is your old Gon Bops drum? Do you perhaps have a picture? Only if it's not too much trouble ...

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Kona » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:58 am

My Gon Bops Tumba...
I think it's a Tumba is no newer than 80s. I thought it was 70s but was told it's at least 80s because that's when they started to add the metal I.d. plate.
Plate I.d. IT-3300 Mariano Model
Steel, not aluminum, bands
Attachments
20210301_114616.jpg
Kona

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Thank you, Kona, that's interesting. My drums are one generation older, I guess, and they have aluminium bands. They are the 3014 series with the ridged bands.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Kona » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 am

Bands tightened. Tacks came out with gentle tugging and twisting. Bottom band is about 1/8" further onto the shell. The three other bands each moved just over 1/4" tighter onto the shell.
Attachments
20210303_173956.jpg
Kona

Postby Kona » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am

The drum is all back together now. I could use a new round to tuck. I'm hearing good things about Mule but cow hide is good too.
Any leads on a source for untucked hides?
Attachments
20210303_235656.jpg
Kona

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Kona,

I'm sure you checked out the "Skin suppliers list": http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3336&p=24815&hilit=skin+suppliers+list#p24815

I heard wonderful things about Ryan Wendel's company, Manito percussion https://manitopercussion.com/.

Other drummers from your area may give you better advice.

Your drum is completely different from mine. I see that your hardware is natural steel; mine is chromed.

Good luck, Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:17 am

It all depends on where you live.

If you're in the USA, as Thomas said, Manito is a must. Their skins litterally sing : check out Eric PĂ©rez' videos, when he uses them (he alternates sometimes with synthetic skins, depending on what he needs) Though there are other good suppliers too.
If you're in Europe, we can advice you some other suppliers. Tell us where you're located...
Chtimulato

Postby Kona » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi
I'm located in West Kelowna, B.C. Canada.. it in the Southern Interior..an area called the Okanagan Valley... wine making and fruit growing country.
I'm about 380kms East of Vancouber B.C.
Kona

Postby Kona » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi Kona,

I'm sure you checked out the "Skin suppliers list": http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3336&p=24815&hilit=skin+suppliers+list#p24815

I heard wonderful things about Ryan Wendel's company, Manito percussion https://manitopercussion.com/.

Other drummers from your area may give you better advice.

Your drum is completely different from mine. I see that your hardware is natural steel; mine is chromed.

Good luck, Thomas

Thanks Thomas.
I've heard good things about Mule too. This is a fun drum for me just using it in the drum room very little. But, I'm thinking of a nice Steer or maybe Mule. Mule are the darker hides... correct? Would look and sound good.
I buy all my kit drum flats from Jeff at SternTanning but I don't think he has Mule. I will have to consider price to as I may want to sell this drum in the near future and I absolutely understand one almost never recovers the cost associated with new heads when selling drums. For instance... this drum I think is well worth $200usd the way it sits. If I spend $100cdn or more.... shipped.... for a new head you can see what I mean.
On the other hand.. if I used the drum for a year or so with a new head I'd be happy to pass it on to a good home for a good deal for the buyer.
Kona

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 pm

Mule are the darker hides

Not necessarily : I've had some yellowish ones.

I've only read some good comments about Stern Tanning, so you have the choice : either Manito or Stern. And at Manito's, I know they can give you advices about the matching skin to your drum.
Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 pm

Hi Kona,

I buy all my kit drum flats from Jeff at SternTanning

Same here! You gut some nice vintage drums back there ... Is that a WMP Gretsch field drum? And an engraved Black Beauty? (Sorry for the off-topic)

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Kona » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:01 am

Thomas the tube lugged drum is a very old Birdseye Maple drum... no ident marks. Ray Ayotte wants to do something with it. Should be nice. The WMP drum is a 50s 3ply Gretsch shell Ray cut down for me to an 8x14 snare... saving the original WMP wrap. He did a beautiful job. I wanted a Gretsch buildout using the original lugs from the Gretsch cocktail drum. He double badged it using his gorgeous RAYA badge and the original cocktail badge but putting a grommet in it.... as Gretsch does for their snares.
Kona

Return to CongaSet and accessories