Tuning congas to specific notes/pitches - info required :)

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Tuning congas to specific notes/pitches - info required :)

Postby drbongo42 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi guys and gals, I am advising someone who is adapting an existing tuning app to cater for Bongos and Congas.

I want to be able to send him some info on what tunings people are using - if and only if you actually tune your congas to specific notes using a tuner or piano etc.

For example I tune 2 Quintos to D4 and C4, 2 congas to Bb3 and G3 and a a tumba to D3.

It would be great if anyone who does this could post their specific tunings so he can make sure the app works reliably at these frequencies.

I am not looking for a debate on the merits of tuning congas to specific notes or not :) and I am not interested in just an interval between the drums as this isn't any use in adapting the app.

We need note names and octave - or frequency in Hz if possible :)
drbongo42

Re: Tuning congas to specific notes/pitches - info required

Postby drbongo42 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I have been working with Bram over the last week or two helping him to test and fine tune the new Bongo and Conga modes and he has done an amazing job. Drumtune Pro (https://www.facebook.com/DrumtunePRO/)can now correctly detect the pitches of all sizes of conga and bongos and comes with a useful recommended tuning range guide. This is a real game-changer for me as a percussionist as I can now tune to specific notes and reproduce the same tunings each time. I imagine the best players in the world can do this by ear to a piano, but for the rest of us mortals this app opens the doors to congas and bongos that sound professionally tuned. every time...

I tune my Congas and Bongos as follows:

Tumba D3
Conga G3
Conga Bb3
Quinto C4
Quinto D4

Hembra D4
Macho F5

There is a brilliant guide to the tunings used by some professional players starting on page 31 of this research paper:

https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/bitstream/1885/116903/2/Pertout%20Thesis%202008.pdf

If you want any tips or suggestions on tuning your Congas and Bongos get in touch...
drbongo42

Return to CongaSet and accessories