Which wood for Shells?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Which wood for Shells?

Postby carlito » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 am

Hi to all musicians,

your valued expertise is in demand. I would have the opportunity Congas in

Ash, cherry, oak, cedar or walnut wood

to have made. Which wood would you recommend and why? Are there any differences in the sound of different types of wood or is only the shell shape and processing relevant here? What about durability or sensitivity (soft or hardwood, other benefits or weaknesses)? Maybe you can also justify why you give a recommendation, from own gaming experience, information about third parties, expertise, etc.?

Here is some information from the manufacturer regarding the sound characteristics of different woods:

Ash; More power, low mids, large tone, sustain, crispy slaps
Cherry; Nice sound, a bit softer, precise tone, crispy slaps
Oak; Soft sound, more focused tone
Cedar and Walnut; work in progress, no drum have been completed yet

Questions about questions ...

Many thanks to all who expand my knowledge horizon! ;)

Carlito
carlito

Re: Which wood for Shells?

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Where do you live? Best wood depends on climate where the drum will be.
Not sure which manufacturer gave you that information about differences in sound, but what you wrote is an oversimplification. It is very hard to generalize the "sound" of the drum based only on the shell material, other important factors include hand playing technique, skin type, skin thickness, tuning and size of drum, how the drum is held (tipped), floor material (eg, hardwood, tile, rug, board). How the drum sounds to you while playing and how it sounds out in the audience in a gig venue or on a recording may be very different. If you are playing amplified, microphone related factors and EQ also play important roles. So wood type is only one factor in the sound. It also contributes a lot to the longevity/strength of the drum, and climate, humidity, temperature ranges, handling and packing for gigs, storage, resistance to playing on sides with sticks, and other factors affect choice of wood as well. So give us more information and we can help you more.
jorge

Postby carlito » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 am

Thank you Jorge for your comprehensive answer. I realize that the choice of wood is not the only factor that determines the sound. Since I have the choice, I do not want to make mistakes.
The instruments and information are from Moperc. The climate in Canada is similar to Austria in Europe. Everything is available, hot summers (+ 40 °), cold winters (-10 °), dry and humid air. The instruments are mostly in a climatically even room, with the exception of concerts and short trips. Playing with sticks on the sides should be no problem for the wood.
carlito

Postby jorge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 am

So you live in Austria? One big factor is the seasonal change from summertime humidity to wintertime dryness due to heating of cold air.
The annual expansion and contraction of the wood can affect the glue between the staves or even the integrity of a solid shell drum depending on the wood. The oak conga and tumba I have had (Skin on Skin and Valje) have cracked between the staves in several places due to New York cycling of dry winters and humid summers. After one repair they have all been fine for 10-35 years without further cracking. An ash drum has not cracked, but I bought it used 10 years old and it may have been repaired before I got it. A mahogany Junior quinto and an SOS oak quinto have never cracked in 10 and 15 years respectively. Small diameter quintos are less likely to crack than larger tumbas and congas. One cherry conga cracked when I knocked it down a flight of stairs rushing to a gig, but another cherry conga has never cracked. Jay Bereck (Skin on Skin) told me he started using cherry because the coefficient of expansion of cherry with humidity changes is less than most other woods. That probably helps although cherry is a lot softer than oak or ash, which withstand palitos on the side much better than cherry or other softer woods. One day in the Central Park rumba and a cherry drum will be all dented up, oak drums won't. Don't ask me how I know that or how many times it happened. I don't think oak gives a soft sound, I find it similar to ash, and would say it is a little louder and stronger sounding than cherry but also may have more ring, which is caused by other factors too like the exact shape of the shell and hardness of the wood.
I don't know anything about Moperc drums, never played one, but check out Amadito Dedeu's Mopercs on YT and on his website, keeping in mind that he is a great drummer and can make any drum sound good and that he is sponsored by Moperc. Also Los Muñequitos / Afrocuba de Matanzas have a few videos up with Moperc drums but they too are such great drummers they could make any drum sound good. The skins make a big difference too.
jorge

Postby carlito » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

Yes, in Vienna. Thanks a lot you for your profound knowledge, it will help me in the selection of the wood in any case. Cracks in the shell can probably never be completely ruled out. With luck, I will get a good instrument. I am not a professional musician, but I will work on my technique to create a good sound.
carlito

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 pm

I never played a Moperc myself either, but all the professional players who play them say they are "grown up's table", top of the top, from what I read and heard at any case. So I think you can't go wrong if you can afford the shipping from Canada - you can find sometimes a set for sale here in Europe, but it's very rare. And keep Jorge's advices in mind.
I just re-read your initial post : you don't mention maple, though Moperc also has a maple line.

Good luck anyhow.
Chtimulato

Postby carlito » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 am

I have heard and read only good comments about Mopercs, also here in the forum. Unfortunately, shipping costs to Austria are very high. Used Mopercs are very rare on market, not only in Europe. I do not know about Maple, it was not offered to me. Maybe I will choose congas in ash wood. Thanks for your comment!
carlito

Postby p.a.dogs1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 am

Hi carlito,
on the Moperc website I can´t find all the sorts of wood you mention here. The three current series are all made of ash. My question is: do you want to help a conga maker to get a single new experience regarding different sorts of wood? As jorge already explained are there a lot of variabilities (instrument´s volume, form, design, fitting heads etc.) So, what makes you speculating about possible sound sensations regarding one single component. Another aspect you should consider: ash is not ash, cherry not cherry, cedar not cedar, oak not oak. The qualities regarding tonal characters depend on further parameters: the wood´s density (has it grown fast or slowly?), the function inside the instrumental construction (how much is it involved in sound-building - co-vibrating or nonyielding container for what the head produces?), are the staves bended (massivly or double-layered?) or sawn in form (annual rings directed to the bodys centre or parallel to the waist?), does the thickness of the staves vary dependent on zones (for example Delaportes? - som of them are from spruce)? And then finally you have also to consider if the wood is laquered or waxed/oiled ...
p.a.dogs1

Postby carlito » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:43 am

Hi p.a.dogs1,
thanks for the informative reaction to my questions. I realize that there are a lot of factors to play together and it is simply a matter of luck to get a good instrument without being able to test it first. With all this know, which is unfortunately no longer available today, we would be at Stradivari. Moperc has certainly gained a lot of experience in the last 20 years, so I do not doubt their abilities. I just wanted to gain some knowledge from the experiences of a community in order to avoid possible foreseeable mistakes.
I received the additional wood species from Moperc on request. A few years ago, Mahogany and Maple were also offered on the website. I think I will try my luck with ash.

carlito
carlito

Return to CongaSet and accessories