Galaxy fiberglass congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Galaxy fiberglass congas

Postby mrhands » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:01 am

I recently purchased a pair of almost new galaxies but i'm not sure i dig the sound or feel. I have 2 patatos that i really like. I wanted a third drum so i found a deal on these galaxies and thought why not. I could get a new patato tumba which would cost me 1000 dollars or a conga and tumba, practically new galaxies for that price.

But now that i played them for a week, i dig the sound of patatos better than the galaxies. Galaxies are louder, beautiful drums but i like the slightly warmer tone of the patatos. Also the rims of the patatos feel better to me. The galaxy feel like they have a larger rim. Is that true or is that just in my head? Would i be crazy to return the galaxies and get the patato tumba for what would be the same price? Or is following my ears more important? Also im finding playing 4 drums is not alll its cracked up to be. What do you guys think?
mrhands

Re: Galaxy fiberglass congas

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi.
I would say, play a little, get your hand(s) in. And your ears, and your feeling. Then you can decide what you keep or not.
You can find some second hand Patatos in good condition on the web, if it's a matter of money.

I confirm Galaxy rims are larger. I made the mistake once, and bought "classic" mounted heads, which didn't fit on my Galaxys... I gave them (the skins) to a friend of mine.

This is also an answer to your other post : I think you could begin with only a 3rd conga, to get used to it. Don't use the 4th one for a while, put the 3rd one on your left (if you are right-handed, and invert if you're left-handed), tune it between tumbadora and tres dos (conga), and discover the possibilities and freedom it gives to you. Once you feel it, you can add the 4th one, that you can put on your right (if you are right-handed). Your playing will be then "richer" and more melodic.

This is just my humble opinion. Let's see what other people on this forum will recommend.
Chtimulato

Re: Galaxy fiberglass congas

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 pm

I just read your recent post again, the one about your purchasing of the 2 Patatos. Since you own a conga and a quinto I suggest you put the conga on your left, and add the Galaxy tumbadora to your right (if you're right handed).

As I said, it's just my humble opinion.
Chtimulato

Return to CongaSet and accessories