2 Patato or 3 Pearl elite mahogany?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

2 Patato or 3 Pearl elite mahogany?

Postby mrhands » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm

It's been such such long time since I've posted here. Seems like the community fell off a little bit. Hopefully things are still bien. :lol: So I just found out last week that Raul Rekow passed away. His passing made me realize what I was missing playin the congas. I unfortunately haven't played in 4 years but I want to get back into it. I used to own Luis Conte sig.

So I found some congas and I was wondering what you guys think I should go for. There are LP Patato's, Quinto, conga, one black one red going to $500. But there are Pearl Elite Mahogany, Quinto, conga, tumba, for $600. What's the difference quality wise? How are pearl's wood congas?

On one hand Patato's are legendary on the other having a 3rd drum is tempting. I used to play with two.

Thanks for your time an input guys (and gals)
mrhands

Re: 2 Patato or 3 Pearl elite mahogany?

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:21 pm

They are both cvery good congas.
If I were you, the height of the drums would be a decisive factor for me,
as the Pearl congas stand a tad taller than the Patatos (an inch if I am not wrong).
So if you are taller than 6 feet, that might be an option to consider.
Hope that helps.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby mrhands » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks Mike. I'm under 6 ft tall. The Luis conte's I had were 30" tall. I'm going to go for the Pearls. I remember liking the warmth of wood over fiberglass. Also, the 3rd conga is really appealing as I would like to get into Bata rhythms and afro-cuban.

Now i'm looking at some replacement heads. Remo really has eliminated a lot of their stock. I loved the fiberskyn 3's. They only have crimplock heads now. And jeeez has the price gone up a lot! Crazy.
mrhands

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:43 am

Yeah, the wood sound is certainly what you want in a conga (aothough good fiberglass congas can sound fantastic too).
I get your point, 3 drums are also nice to have.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby mrhands » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Well the seller decided not to sell those Pearl congas. Really sucks. So might just go with the patatos and add another conga later.
mrhands

Postby mrhands » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:41 am

So I got those Patato's and I couldn't be happier. One thing I appreciated from my previous Meinls are the rubber bass. Really stopped the conga from sliding.

I read a review on amazon that claimed they were discontinuing the Patato model congas. Anyone know if this is true? They are still listed on the LP website. But maybe I should pick up my 3rd drum soon? Possibly 4th also?

If they are discontinuing this model it's a travesty considering he basically help to create the modern day conga and the tuning system. I mean after that top tuning debacle I wouldn't be so surprised. Lol
mrhands

Postby mrhands » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:43 am

Here's a picture
Attachments
IMG_20160209_220724.jpg
mrhands

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Congratulations on your Patatos. These are awesome drums. I too own a set which I have been extremely happy with. Very lite weight, great sounding and very comfortable to play, especially for me that I'm 6'1". The red are my favorite but I got a nice deal on these blue which are a rare color.
These are no doubt keepers for me.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
KING CONGA

Postby mrhands » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 am

KING CONGA wrote:Congratulations on your Patatos. These are awesome drums. I too own a set which I have been extremely happy with. Very lite weight, great sounding and very comfortable to play, especially for me that I'm 6'1". The red are my favorite but I got a nice deal on these blue which are a rare color.
These are no doubt keepers for me.

Yea man i'm loving these drums. My first LP's also. It's funny that you love the red, my favourite is actaully the blue. I wish I would see some of those for sale. I don't know what it is. There's something peculiar about the blue colour. Not a normal blue.

How are you liking the fiberskyn heads?

I was thinking of getting a tumba. Would it be smarter to get another red drum so I can match on the occasion I play a gig or even perhaps for resale value? I was thinking of getting a black colour so each drum is different. I see that there are a lot of these in mixed colours and I mean, and with regard to resale value, I mean I did buy mixed colour set myself...what do you think?
mrhands

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:12 pm

I actually dig the mixed colors, in fact I was once tempted to buy a Black and Red. I believe that they complement one another in different colors.
The Fiberskin heads are awesome! I love them. I get very little overtones from the Conga, not nearly enough to make me get rid of it, and none from the Tumba. In my opinion, the benefit of the sound far out weighs the little overtones from the Conga. I get lots of compliments on the sound and they are nice and loud which makes them perfect for an outdoors event. I have owned REMO synthetic heads for years and have always been happy with them.
Here are my REMO Congas & bongos with Synthetics.
Attachments
DSC00049.JPG
KING CONGA

Postby mrhands » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 am

KING CONGA wrote:I actually dig the mixed colors, in fact I was once tempted to buy a Black and Red. I believe that they complement one another in different colors.
The Fiberskin heads are awesome! I love them. I get very little overtones from the Conga, not nearly enough to make me get rid of it, and none from the Tumba. In my opinion, the benefit of the sound far out weighs the little overtones from the Conga. I get lots of compliments on the sound and they are nice and loud which makes them perfect for an outdoors event. I have owned REMO synthetic heads for years and have always been happy with them.
Here are my REMO Congas & bongos with Synthetics.

You have all the congas Ive wanted! I always wanted to at least try some remo congas. I heard they were super heavy.

A question, I noticed in the picture of the lp's that the black congas dont have the Patato badges with the red hat. I'm wondering if those are also Patato congas from another year? I'm wanting a third conga, maybe 4th and i found an ad where dude is claiming to sell Patatos but they dont have the red hat badge and they have comfort curve rims , not the comfort curve 2. Basically the same as your black congas except regular rims. Possibly older models? Original fiberglass lp models? Here's the ad. What do you think?

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/5463790092.html
mrhands

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:28 pm

mrhands, those black ones are not PATATOS, they are LP original series, the only PATATOS are the blue ones. Look a little closer, all four of those drums have the comfort curve 2 crowns. LP original series are the first model of congas that LP started making around 1968 or 1969, the PATATO series came out in 1978. The blue ones that I own are early to mid 80's, I love them!!! keepers for sure!
REMOS are in fact heavy as tanks, especially the ones made after 2006 which is when they changed the shell design, but they do sound sweet.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby mrhands » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10 pm

KING CONGA wrote:mrhands, those black ones are not PATATOS, they are LP original series, the only PATATOS are the blue ones. Look a little closer, all four of those drums have the comfort curve 2 crowns. LP original series are the first model of congas that LP started making around 1968 or 1969, the PATATO series came out in 1978. The blue ones that I own are early to mid 80's, I love them!!! keepers for sure!
REMOS are in fact heavy as tanks, especially the ones made after 2006 which is when they changed the shell design, but they do sound sweet.
Cheers
K.C.

I keep on getting a different story with the seller. He claims they aren't black, but burgundy/brown. Did LP ever make congas in this colour? Is it a refinish job?
mrhands

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 pm

[/quote]I keep on getting a different story with the seller. He claims they aren't black, but burgundy/brown. Did LP ever make congas in this colour? Is it a refinish job?[/quote]

LP did in fact make burgundy Patatos, check this one out.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
KING CONGA

Return to CongaSet and accessories