Conga stand and bass tone

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Conga stand and bass tone

Postby Doc Washboard » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 am

I'm playing fiberglass LP Patato drums, and I'm short enough--and the drums are slick and big-bellied enough--that I can't really pull off the traditional "lift the drum with your legs to get the bass tone" move. I play seated, and I'm thinking of buying a basket stand for seated players. What I'm looking for from the experts here are thoughts on a) getting the bass tone (do I actually need to get the drum off the ground to get a nice fat sound, or are there other options?), and b) will a basket stand lead to success (and do I need to buy an LP stand, or will the stands of other makers work just as well with my Patatos?)

Any insights you guys can give will be appreciated.
Doc Washboard

Re: Conga stand and bass tone

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 am

There are short sit-down stands for congas by many different makers, and on a more moderate price level
than LP, for example Toca and Tycoon
http://www.x8drums.com/toca-3600-sit-down-stands/
http://www.x8drums.com/Tycoon-Conga-Sit ... ite_review
They might do the trick just as well, although I am not entirely sure if the tapered bottoms of the
Patatos will fit snugly into them.

The best-fitting sit-down stands I have ever come across, however, are the ones by the German maker Jost Reiche.
bodenstaender.jpg

But they are custom-tailored and have to be measured meticulouly for the shell sizes.
I just love their looks, plus they are easy to carry in a conga bag - upside down on the shell!

Another cool option might be these (and btw the search engine really does work on this forum :wink: )
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7002&hilit=+afro+stands
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:21 pm

DIY possibility (PVC "inside-drum" mic socket optional)

playt1.jpg
playt1.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
playt2.jpg
playt2.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
playt3.jpg
playt3.jpg (27.25 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

playt4.jpg
playt4.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
playt5.jpg
playt5.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
[attachment=0]
CongaTick

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Ah yes, Congatick, brilliant,
I almost forgot your ingenious DIY construction,
great work.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Greensail » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey Congatick,
Came across your solution getting the drums off the floor. I like it a lot. Here are a couple pics from my solution , basically "L" shaped pieces of wood glued and screwed onto a platform. They hold the drum fairly solid making if hard to knock one over and overall work really well with one exception. I use the risers for the middle drum and tumba and hold my conga with my legs so it makes the other 2 drums slightly higher. I end up leaning the middle drum on a small riser to even out the height. I think I like yours a bit more.
Attachments
20150811_190323.jpg
Stand
20150811_190304.jpg
Drum on stand
Greensail

Postby CongaTick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Absolutely excellent and elegant modification, Greensail.
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories