need help with some vintage gon bop rims and head

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

need help with some vintage gon bop rims and head

Postby cruisemo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 am

Hi everyone....I am working on salvaging a mid 70s mahogany gon bop conga and have run into a bit of a problem. I am having trouble figuring out what kind of modern rim and lug set to use. The head of the rim diameter measures 10 inches from middle edge across to middle edge. Anyone have any suggestions on rims to get or have any old rims that I can use? Also looking for suggestions on synthetic heads to use. Any suggestions on what size will fit? Thanks in advance
cruisemo

Re: need help with some vintage gon bop rims and head

Postby burke » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

If the sticker is still attached with the ID # this might help a bit with sizing

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/my_coll ... bops2.html

Likely going to just have do your best guess looking at what's available re: "modern rim and lug"

Same with synthetic heads. I'm not aware of anyone having done that before ... if you've read any of this forum, you won't be surprised at the likely responses about choosing a synthetic head :shock:

Me ... I don't judge. Your drum, do with it what you will. I'd actually be curious to see what the result will be.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out ... will be good future reference.

D
Burke
burke

Postby MACHO123 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Cruisemo

If you're in the 5 borough I may be able to help you personally. I live in Queens and can help you. I play collect and refinish Congas.
If the drum measures 10" across you most likely have a Requinto which actually measures 9.75" and may be out of round if you measured 10".
If it truly is a Requinto then the ID tag would start with IQ then the number representing the model (International series, Super Series etc).
I actually have some spare Hardware for a Requinto. everything except two bands that are missing if you're interested.

But you can start with Lp hardware but I'd suggest contacting someone like Manito Percussion to order some custom made hardware. I think a crown with the flesh hoop, 5 side plates and tuning lugs AND a skin would run about $375 which is pretty cheap in my opinion considering the quality and craftsmanship. You can go to ManitoPercussion.com and see pics and prices. And when you call, Manito always pics up the phone.

For anything else just PM me or give me a call.
917 207-2710 is my number. My name is Angel. Good luck.
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm

As for synthetic heads, it depends. Most pros wont use them because of the sound. I definitely wouldn't put one on a Requinto. I would definitely go Mule skin for a Requinto. If not Mule (hard to find at times) a nice thin Steer. About the thickness of a penny (1.5-1.6mm). A penny is 1.52mm in thickness.
I've used Remo synthetic on a Tumba in the past. Well I purchased an Lp custom made fiberglass Tumba with it on but later changed it for a JCR skin which eliminated the overtones that made it sound like a tin can which I hated. I think the JCR skin was Cow or Steer and it made the Tumba sound like a different drum. Again if you're in the five boroughs I can help. In fact I just purchased a JCR Mule skin (for a Tumba I have) that I would be willing to sell to you and I'll mount it for free as well. Just contact me.

BTW: Whenever I go buy skins I take with me a quarter, a nickel and a penny. this is why:

Coin width:

Quarter= 1.75mm Perfect width for a Conga
Nickel = 1.95mm Perfect width for a Tumba
Penny = 1.52mm perfect width for a Quinto or Requinto (Some will say that these two drums are the same with differing names. A Quinto is a Requinto and Vice Versa)

These are MY preferences and helped me a lot when I didn't know what skin thickness to use for what drum or how to measure skin thickness for that matter.
Hope this was helpful to you and anyone else reading. We know that's a rarity on this forum lately.
Que siga la Rumba!!!!!!
MACHO123

Postby cruisemo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 pm

thank you very much for the help and info. I appreciate it
cruisemo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 pm

MACHO123 wrote:As for synthetic heads, it depends. Most pros wont use them because of the sound.

Macho 123, I think the trend today is actually the other way around most pros are using synthetic heads.
In some cases the pros carry their own spare synthetic heads when they travel. I know too that many
people don't like the water buffalo heads that come from the factory on conga drums but I have
seen the pros like for example Giovanni Hidalgo time after time play on those heads and sound and play
only like Giovanni can sound and play. But any way it just matter of preference and how much money
you are willing to expend. On some drums specially older drums is not ideal to mount thick heads because
them shells and hardware were not designed to take all the pressure required to tune thick heads specially
thick mule heads. So have to be careful with mounting thick heads, shells and hardware on some drums may
actually fail.

Personally I use synthetic and rawhide heads; for the most part I prefer rawhide heads on my fiberglass drums
but on wood drums I use both types of heads. I hope this helps also.
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories