Lp Galaxy flesh hoops

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Lp Galaxy flesh hoops

Postby willfry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm on tour for a long time and away from my drums but I've found a metal worker near me that can make me some extra flesh hoops.

Does anyone know/able to find out the thickness of the steel I need in mm?

More importantly does anyone know the exact sizes of each hoop in mm from Rq through to Tumba for the newer style Lp Galaxy Giovanni drums?

Thanks! (worth a shot, right?)
Will.
willfry

Re: Lp Galaxy flesh hoops

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Hey Willfry,

just a word of caution. I too thought that flesh rings were were just flesh rings. Yet what I found is the nuances at times can really mess up a reheading costing the price of another skin. There are lots of metal workers who can make rings. Being vague here because I now use Manito for all rings and skins and I learned from him. He is the man for all your hardware and skin needs. I thought I knew best and ended up needing to rehead, ouch. After my ego defeat, Manito set me up and I am content.

peace, Marcus
Marcus

Postby willfry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm

It's just a steel ring, right? I can't imagine it would be that difficult to get wrong.

I don't want to order them from Manito when it's such a straightforward job providing I have the right measurements and use the right materials.

I'm in the UK so it's expensive to get things shipped from the US.
willfry

Postby Marcus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:18 am

You made my point! Follow your path.
Marcus

Postby Derbeno » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am

Be careful getting drum hardware made by someone with no experience as to what it will be used for.

I too went down that path and ended up with Manito to get it done. I would have costed me less if I had gone to Manito straight off.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby burke » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi Willfry,

For most hardware I would tend to agree with the opinions expressed, but I lean towards you when it comes to flesh hoops

"It's just a steel ring, right?" I mean exactly ...as long as you can find out the dimensions surely to god any halfway competent shop can do this.

Also I hear you about shipping and etc. re: getting stuff from the US ... I'm in Canada and its painful enough here at times.

Maybe search congalou's posts [for example here is one about making hardware]

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8619&p=79547#p79547

or maybe contact him via a PM ... he's in France, has had great success making and repairing congas and will perhaps have advise and or contacts for resources on the continent

Cheers
Burke
burke

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:08 pm

when i re-headed a set I soaked the flesh hoops out of the existing LP heads that were on them. the water buffalo was going in the garbage anyway, hoops worked fine. I wouldn't put a think mule on with them, but for a medium cow there was no problem.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby burke » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Yeah, I always recycle mine and no problems, but the OP mentioned "extra flesh hoops" ... although he didn't say I assumed he just wanted spares ... but we all know about 'assumed' :)
Burke
burke

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:12 am

ya never know, it might even be cheaper to buy new LP heads just for the hoops :mrgreen: It would definitely be a lot less work and headaches. that, and you'll always know the dimensions are correct! or, run a craigslist add looking for old heads, offer up $5 per or something. :shock:
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Return to CongaSet and accessories